Author Topic: CBM's Restaurant Naan Bread [without a tandoori oven]  (Read 29096 times)

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: CBM's Restaurant Naan Bread [without a tandoori oven]
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 10:15 PM »
ive read your post a few times, and i still dont know what your talking about.

The question is simple enough,
Self-rasing flour has a raising agent in it, baking powder is a raising agent so why both

HS

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 10:27 PM »
..........because that's what the chef who gave me this recipe did although I watched him make a bucket load of dough. It gives the dough an extra lift without you being able to taste the extra baking powder.
Cheers,
Mick

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 10:28 PM »
Hi, i asked because most recipes call for plain flour.
then i saw this recipe uses self raising, but still keeping the baking powder in.
was just curious thats all  :)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 10:34 PM »
Cheers Mick, got in just before me :D

Frank.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 10:57 PM »
Hi, i asked because most recipes call for plain flour.
then i saw this recipe uses self raising, but still keeping the baking powder in.
was just curious thats all  :)
Just re-read my post forgive me for being blunt. in short it needs it.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2011, 07:24 PM »
Had a go at making this recipe this afternoon and it didnt turn out very well, it tasted like a thin sponge cake.
I followed the recipe to the letter it even stuck to the pan and blistered up but it didnt taste anything like a naan bread.
I must have the same thing as Razor when it comes to making naan breads  ;)
 I am ok with other breads but i dont know what i did wrong any ideas please let me know, cheers.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2011, 07:58 PM »
 :'( Sorry to hear that Uf.  I bought the SR flour and baking powder and am going to have a go myself either tomorrow or Monday eve.  I'll let you know if i'm joining the non-bakers club too :o

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 01:41 AM »

I must have the same thing as Razor when it comes to making naan breads  ;)

Naans remain elusive to me - I have made chapattis, paratas, bhurtas with great success but naans, hell no

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2011, 08:13 AM »
:'( Sorry to hear that Uf.  I bought the SR flour and baking powder and am going to have a go myself either tomorrow or Monday eve.  I'll let you know if i'm joining the non-bakers club too :o

look forward to that curryhell get some pics if you can.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 10:03 PM »
look forward to that curryhell get some pics if you can.

Ok, did these tonight.  In my defence i'm at a disadvantage from the off, having an electric hob you can't get even the even heat distribution that you do with gas.  Anyway, not deterred i got stuck into the dough first - the easy bit :D. Was a bit sticky at first but eventually managed to persuade it to let go of my fingers >:(

I rolled out the first one, pressed in some finely chopped garlic and coriander.  Flipped it on its back and pressed some water into the surface.  Initial thoughts, next one i'll roll even thinner.  Onto the tawa it went and one or two blisters appeared :-\.  Was expecting more.   Checked the edges for the browning and then inverted over the hob.  Fingers crossed.  It stayed attached  8).  The naan was all but touching the plate before i started to get some colouration.

Spread some garlic oil over the surface and then in for the taste test.  Yep, needs to be thinner the next time.  Texture was quite good, not overly sweet not as light and fluffy as i would have liked but not heavy.   Made the second one which was only 3-4mm thick.  Surely this would deliver the goods :P

Again spread garlic oil over the finished article.  Looking good, nice and thin and more blisters this time (tawa was really hot now and underside smoked a bit during the cooking).  Got a reasonable finish when inverted and no fallers yet :).  Taste test revealed improvement on the first attempt.  Yep it tastes like a naan and was IMHO passable but i'd eaten better.  Was getting bored now.  So set to with the third.  This needed to be good as i'd promised one to a girl at work to have with her lunch tomorrow, so no pressure.   Pressed the disc out and finished with a rolling pin, added remaining chopped garlic and coriander, onto its back, slapped some water around and onto the tawa it went.  By this time i'd turned the heat down as no. 2  had some serious scorch marks on the underside.  BAD MOVE.  Should have left it alone.  End result not as many blisters again but finished up not looking too bad.  Good enough for me to take in and get some unbiased feedback tomorrow which i will post.

Looks better in the flesh ;D.  Will be interesting to hear what she says.  So i'm pleased to say i haven't joined the dodgy bakers club.  I think the method is as good as you can get without a tandoor but i will be varying the recipe a bit and maybe try the madhur jafrey recipe which i used the first time i ever made naan.  The taste was fantastic but cooking it in the oven didn't give that BIR appearance.  I certainly didn't have the cake taste that Uf had, thank god :o  Thanks CBM and UB for the recipe and the technique.

©2024 Curry Recipes