Author Topic: Keeping fresh garlic  (Read 8241 times)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping fresh garlic
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 09:57 PM »
Glad to hear the lamb cooked ok for you CH.  :)

I made Abdul Mohed's base sauce on Sunday and cooked a very nice chicken madras using it with the 8 spice powder.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 10:52 PM »
Glad to hear the lamb cooked ok for you CH.  :)

I made Abdul Mohed's base sauce on Sunday and cooked a very nice chicken madras using it with the 8 spice powder.

Cheers,

Paul

Been there, done that - completely Abdul - base, spice and chicken.  Not a madras eater, but have had three now ;D ;D.  Very nice curry.  For a quick curry hit, can't beat it.  Must try some other madras recipes and see how they compare for a vindaloo / phall eater :o

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 12:52 AM »
I'm interested by this as its news to me that there may be a botulism risk associated with garlic (a pointer to how little I know really!). Can anyone clarify the circumstances under which this risk arises? Eg is there any risk in keeping garlic bulbs in the fridge past their sell by date?

I am probably the last person you should listen to when it comes to health hazards, Natterjak, but I can say in all honesty that the garlic bulbs that I buy /have/ no "sell by" date, and I keep them, and use them, unrefrigerated, until they are so dry that they are no longer of any use.  To be honest, I have never heard of anyone refrigerating garlic bulbs : garlic puree, yes; a half-used clove, yes (wrapped in clingfilm) but a whole bulb : never.

** Phil.

Not sure why, but I keep my fresh garlic bulbs in the fridge (in the door egg rack), always have done, and never had any problems with it. :-\

Same as you, until they are dried out and shriveled up, then bin 'em.

Martin

Offline issiemc

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 06:48 AM »
At work we just used to make up a kilner jar of Garlic and Ginger paste, keep it in the fridge until it was used up.

I have always done the same thing, Buy garlic and ginger in bulk, mince up in the processor with some water and store it in the jar and use it each day, I must admit I put this paste in everything! made liver and onions last night and put the paste it that.  ;D

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 08:33 AM »
I keep fresh garlic in the same cupboard as I do my onions and potatoes. It's dark and quite airy. I've done this for years and years and never had any problems with it in any way.

I found one bulb yesterday that had worked it's way to the back of the cupboard and every clove has sprouted, so I am going to plant these today and see how they get on :)

With regards to garlic puree, I always blend the garlic down to a complete paste by adding oil and a teaspoon of Turmeric whilst blending. "Some research shows compounds in turmeric to have anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties."

I then put this into a jar and pour a little oil on top to form a seel between the garlic paste and the air. Pop the lid on the jar as tightly as possible and keep in the fridge. It keeps very well for about 4 weeks, but as I only make small jars at a time, its usually gone before this time and then I just repeat the process. Every time I use some, I just add a small drop of oil back on top to keep that seel going.

I do exactly the same with fresh Ginger too. I like to keep seperate jars of both Ginger & Garlic, then I can add the quantities I want for each individual dish rather than a jar of blended G&G.

Hope this helps :)

Offline issiemc

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 08:59 AM »
Good idea about separate jars, Because We like more ginger than garlic

I will try the Turmeric on my next mix and also the oil.

I have always been afraid of garlic and oil after reading an article years ago, but saying that I always used to have a bottle of homemade Garlic oil in the fridge until reading about it, we never got poorly.

Many thanks for sharing the tip  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes