Author Topic: Marriages Nann Recipie  (Read 3749 times)

Offline tommy99

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Marriages Nann Recipie
« on: November 27, 2011, 10:39 AM »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Marriages Nann Recipie
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 03:02 PM »
It's a yeast based naan which drawns on Indian home cookery rather than BIR which uses baking powder as a raising agent for ease and speed.

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 03:27 PM »
Don't appear to be a yeast based naan Stephen. ???

250g Marriage?s Finest Self Raising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 rounded tablespoons live plain yoghurt
About 115ml lukewarm water

Might be worth a go, but I think there are better recipes on here.

Martin

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 07:20 PM »
Don't appear to be a yeast based naan Stephen. ???

Who removed the yeast from the recipe? ha ha!!!!!!

Offline tommy99

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 08:57 PM »
How I found out about it - I know a top artisan bakery that only uses Marriages flours so I had a look at their website and found the recipe by chance.

I have now tried it, but I just used homepride SR Flour.

I left the dough for about 4 hours rather than 1. I made them a smaller size and thinner than usual. I used heaped spoons of yoghurt, slightly more flour, and no salt.

I cooked them on one side using a dry non-stick frying pan, and for the other side I balanced them upside down over the gas hob flame - using an L shaped stainless steel masher.

Once cooked, I drizzled over some unsalted melted butter.

The outcome... absolutely superb. They have THAT taste. So quick and easy - only flour, yoghurt, and water.

I have just tried adding some Taj frozen garlic (you can buy it in big packs from Asda for only about ?1) it dissolved very well into the melted butter for an even taste. WOW.

My Mother-in-law is Asian and is here, she says that they are spot-on and even brought back happy memories from when she was a child.

She liked it that I made them thinner than the stodge that you get in some Indian restaurants, and says that it tastes like the ones in the best restaurants.

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 09:07 PM »
any pics?

Barry

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 09:26 PM »
Great stuff Tommy.  If only you had some pics to post to show the results :(.  If the mother-in-law has given them the royal seal of approval, they must be damn good.  My only surprise is the exclusion of sugar.  All naan breads that i have eaten have had a hint of sweetness.    They had the "taste" but was there any sweetness present?

Offline tommy99

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 10:12 PM »
I've just scoffed the last mouthful. I made them pitta bread size which made it easier to balance over a flame.

Cutting out other ingredients has made me realise that the Nann 'flavour' is down to the natural yoghurt and cooking method. I was surprised that it really doesn't need sugar, salt and oil adding. It had that very slight crumpet tang that tasted like a good nann.

A lot is in the cooking method. It really works well cooking the first side on a very hot flat dry non-stick frying pan (so the bottom goes a bit crispy), and then the other-side over a gas flame where I singed bits.

It does actually taste a lot nicer than the ones from my local TA which are far too thick and gloopy for my liking.

Pleasing my mother-in-law is a very rare occurrence...  :o

Offline tommy99

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 10:41 PM »
I like natural sour-dough bread from a proper artisan bakery. I notice that Sour-dough starters use yoghurt but no yeast. Perhaps because I left the dough for longer, I got a slight bit of that flavour coming through. Therefore it would be logical that the main nann flavour is coming from the yoghurt. Leaving the dough for longer must have brought out the flavour more.

To my buds, sugar may have detracted from the nice flavour, but it's personal preference I guess. I didn't miss the sugar.

Bizarrely, I used no salt and used unsalted butter, but after eating it I feel quite thirsty. It may have been because I added melted garlic butter to the 2nd batch, so it's really the garlic taking effect.

©2024 Curry Recipes