Author Topic: Kushi Jalfrezi  (Read 15521 times)

Offline Standard Tandoori

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Kushi Jalfrezi
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 12:59 PM »
I know this is an old thread but the links no longer work... I'd like to try this recipe though so if anyone reading this can post updated info that would be grand!

Cheers
Steve.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 04:36 PM »
If anyone reading this can post updated info that would be grand!
To hear is to obey.
** Phil.

Offline redman1212

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 09:04 AM »
I know this is an old thread but I've recently got into making BIR style curries at home and this website has been a great source of information. I have tried several recipes and they have all been fantastic but I tried this and found it -  'bland'. I've found several recommendations for this as a good kushi recipe on the forum but this did nothing for me. What did I do wrong? :'(

I am using the kushi base, kushi spice mix and pre cooked chicken (all of which I've used to good effect in other recipes) and followed the recipe as closely as I could although I did add some tomatoes and green pepper along with the chicken (as these seem to be normal additions to a jalfrazi). The dish was not helped by the lack of heat. I bought some fresh chillies, but these turned out to be really mild, and I used kasmiri chilli powder and probably should have used a hotter one. Cooking time was about 10 minutes rather than the 1 and half hours mentioned by Paul-B

Can anyone recommend a good alternative jalfrazi? Later in the summer I will be cooking for the parents of our kids local football team so want to select three dishes I know people will enjoy
thanks
RM

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 09:41 AM »
Try Chewy's recipe here   https://vimeo.com/22149951

London.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 11:08 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I've recently got into making BIR style curries at home and this website has been a great source of information. I have tried several recipes and they have all been fantastic but I tried this and found it -  'bland'. I've found several recommendations for this as a good kushi recipe on the forum but this did nothing for me. What did I do wrong? :'(

I am using the kushi base, kushi spice mix and pre cooked chicken (all of which I've used to good effect in other recipes) and followed the recipe as closely as I could although I did add some tomatoes and green pepper along with the chicken (as these seem to be normal additions to a jalfrazi). The dish was not helped by the lack of heat. I bought some fresh chillies, but these turned out to be really mild, and I used kasmiri chilli powder and probably should have used a hotter one. Cooking time was about 10 minutes rather than the 1 and half hours mentioned by Paul-B

Can anyone recommend a good alternative jalfrazi? Later in the summer I will be cooking for the parents of our kids local football team so want to select three dishes I know people will enjoy
thanks
RM

I'm surprised you found the kushi recipes bland RM I've always made great curries with this book. If anything I found halving the spice inclusion in both the base and the pre-cooked chicken was a must otherwise the dishes were too overpowering.

MM

Offline redman1212

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 10:03 AM »
Thanks London, I will definitely give that a try, looks really good  :). My final dish was more saucey than this so maybe I did not reduce it enough to concentrate the flavours.

I will need to track down the red masala but I think I have anything else

Thanks MM, I was surprised by what my taste buds indicated. It was my first go at this base, so I followed the recipe as written, but I find the kushi base reasonably neutral. I know I messed up the chilli, which upset the balance of the dish, but looking at the kushi jalfrazi recipe there isn't much spice in it other than the kushi spice mix (maybe my spice mix is 'off'). ???

The other dish I made was this
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,6152.msg61265.html#msg61265
which was superb

I thought I would have a go at making some of the dishes, without the meat, ie just the sauce, as I saw someone else suggest (CK?) for more practise without producing load of full dishes

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 11:01 AM »
I second Chewys recipe!!

Ed

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 03:53 PM »