Author Topic: Is there a premier league of curry houses?  (Read 6176 times)

Offline grimmo

• Chef
    • View Profile
Is there a premier league of curry houses?
« on: January 12, 2005, 05:28 PM »
I?m sure many people have a favourite curry house that in their view is the ?best they?ve ever had? but I wonder if there is such a thing as a premier league of curry houses. Or whether one could (unofficially be built on here).

To explain.

My usual is a Chicken Tikka Pathia and if I go to a new restaurant then this is what I?d usually go for first, and usually go for most of the time. I?ve lived in a few places around the UK and would say that most CTK?s I?ve had, would, on a scale of 1 to 10 rate, quite naturally, around a 5.? On this scale I would say that the lowest I?ve had is a three and the highest an 8. Most are very similar, around a 5, which in my book makes a very pleasant meal. As I really like restaurants curries a five is pretty nice rather than just ?average?.? There are plenty of 6?s and a few 7?s too.? An 8+ is/would be fantastic.

The single exception that reached the heights of 8+ for me,? came when I was taken by some work colleagues to a place called the Bilash Tandoori in Wolverhampton about 18 months ago. I?m glad it was on expenses as it wasn?t that cheap, as curries go. Around ?10 to ?16 for a main course dish if I remember correctly. The difference about this place? is that I think it is meant to be specific Bandgladeshi cuisine rather than your regular ?curry house? fare, hence there being none of the regular dishes on the menu. Instead I just plumped for one that sounded nice.

I went back three or four times in total and I have to say that on they are the three of four best Indian? meals that I?ve had? by quite a way. I like things hot-ish usually, but at the Bilash I found that there was a real depth of flavour to the dishes that you don?t get usually and no reference anywhere to heat ? almost as though it was the posh nosh equivalent of a regular curry.? Its hard to put a finger on exactly what made it so nice, but quite simply, for me, it is a notch above anywhere else I?ve been.

My question is whether anyone else has visited this place, and if so did you find the same thing, or is my high rating of the Bilash purely personal taste?

Further to this, are there any other places that people might be able to agree on the standout quality of the food. We?re talking 8+ only here. If I visit Manchester or Sheffield or Bradford or various parts of London, or wherever, are there any restaurants that can be identified as ?must visits?. For example, I've now lived in the south west for a couple of years and am yet to find anything past a six...maybe a seven...

I?m looking forward to your responses!

Cheers

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a premier league of curry houses?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 09:39 AM »
I believe the Cinnamon Club has been touted as the top UK Indian restaurant, it is certainly the most expensive. Others such as The Bombay Brasserie, Veeraswamy, Chutney Mary and those in the Blue Elephant chain provide a welcome alternative to the usual BIR.
However as they claim to provide authentic or home style dishes it is unlikely that you would get a Chicken Tikka Patia in any of these restaurants.
I must admit that although I prefer the food in those restaurants listed above, I do still visit the common or garden BIR and enjoy the food served up in them, saying that, I also love the food that is served up in the eateries of the East End or Southall that cater for the local Asian populations. I am told that food is also "authentic" but it bears no resemblance to the "authentic" stuff served in the Cinnamon Club or Veeraswamy.

©2024 Curry Recipes