Author Topic: The Madras 100% Clone (of my local BIR)  (Read 210612 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: THE MADRAS 100% CLONE (OF MY LOCAL BIR).
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2006, 02:23 PM »
George please do try my base gravy,i give you my guarantee that it will make the best tasting Curries you have ever made (how`s that for confidence

Darth

I share your optimism because I've had 100% success with the two recipes of yours which I have tried - the other being the D rice (I forget the name) which I think of as superb Pilau rice, simply by leaving out the coconut.

I should have mentioned - some may be interested - that I scaled down your recipe to one-quarter, pro-rata, throughout.  I also:

- reduced the chilli powder, like you said was OK because I don't like over-hot curries, but I then added back half a level tsp of fresh chopped (mild) green chilli

- added a 'couple of tablespoons full' of fresh chopped coriander because you have that in your base sauce in abundance but there was none in Terry's base sauce.

Panpot

I like 'medium' curries like butter chicken, too, but with reduced chilli powder, heat wise, my '100% clone' Madras attempt was medium too. Do try it. It's good and so quick to make. I'd start with Darth's base sauce if I were you - it's had such good feedback.

Regards
George

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2006, 10:30 PM »
Thanks again George for your continued positive support ;)
Panpot try my base gravy at the beginning of this thread as it will make any curry you wish as long as you leave out the optional Chilli powder.
You may also try one of my experimental dishes which is very mild  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,692.0.html   this is a very tasty full flavored dish.
Also Panpot try my DARBARI RICE...http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,498.0.html
Follow these links my young apprentice & you will soon be making "CURRIES FROM THE DARKSIDE"!  ;D

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2006, 02:23 PM »
Darth

Right, having now used up my small batch of Terry's base sauce, I'm ready to have a crack at making your (stage 1) base.

Just to be sure:

1. Is Sharwoods Hot curry powder still your preference, please?

2. What precise brand or mix of garam masala do you use, please? I'm keen to give my version of your base the best chance of being good, and

3. Don't laugh....but how much do the onions weigh which you use? Or, if they vary in size, what do 15 raw onions weigh in total, before you've removed the skins or anything?  Onions can vary enormously in size/weight, so I want to get this right .

A plea to everyone - please state onion weights for your recipes.

Regards
George

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2006, 11:09 PM »
Hiya George heres some answers to your questions my good man  :)

1. I used Sharwoods because that was available at the time,i personally don't think it matters as long as its a decent Curry powder (some people say is rubbish but Sharwoods is good enough for the base) remember with such a large batch it will be the combined taste that makes it so good not one single ingredient.

2. I have used two types of Garam Masala & noticed no difference with using either,one was fresh ground by an Asian ebay shop called Spiceology & the other was of the shelf from Tescos (Schwartz).

3. Here is my definition of the size of Onions i use as in the 99.9% Vindalloo/Tindalloo post.

"Now that I've made this batch it will be some time before i make another but i did measure the Onions.
I don't think its ultra critical but to help everyone here are the details of the Onions.
They are sold as large loose Onions in Sainsbury's.
The thickness (from Root to Stem) =approximately 80mm. Width = approximately 90mm.

Any more questions,as ever please feel free to ask,as i wish your Curries to turn out as good as mine,its a major step forward when you are genuinely happy with your own cooking i feel.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2006, 01:10 PM »
Go for it matey you wont be disappointed.
On the subject of Turmeric i have noticed that there is an overwhelming amount of it in the Bir's that i frequent.Have you noticed how yellow the Oil is & how easily it stains...everything !!! :(
Also you will notice on the main recipe i have stated just Curry Powder & that extra hot Chilli powder is my own addition to it.
This base is ace enjoy it on its own lol  ;D
As an aside i hope to post some very exciting information over the next few months as i did try to get more info from my fave Bir but it has dried out & become a little unfriendly so i have left that avenue,but may have one even better,unlike some i do not offer the secret we are all looking for but just the hope of something very interesting to us all.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2006, 05:13 PM »
As usual Les very high quality pictures that scream eat me  8)

How did they taste BTW?

cK

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2006, 10:26 PM »
Bloody excellent photos Les,exactly as mine turned out mate oh yesssss.
As CC asks how did it taste & how close is it to your fave Bir as i get a feeling my local is slightly different from your average Take-away,well it is down here & i must say it is my all time favorite in all the ones I've tried in Sunny Cornwall ooooaaarrrhh !!!
The only thing missing is the Taste we all crave but I'm working on it AS always.
Many Take-aways down here use the Kd base or a variant of it.

DARTH............. ;D

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2006, 08:35 AM »
Sorry to cause an outburst but i cook on a turbo charged Halogen hob, not gas !!!
I do however fry off Spices etc..in a large pan.
I have actually made perfect tasting Curries & some with pockets of the taste but i am unable to duplicate at will for some reason. :(.
Totall agreance about you adding more oil it does help greatly to give that authentic Bir taste,but Ive been trying to get great tasting Curries that don't help give you a Heart attack,so Ive been using Olive oil & plenty of water & I'm very pleased with the results considering.
I believe your scores are fair matey I'm glad it turned out as good for you,although i must admit i don't find the Madras recipe bland but full of flavor & i did a taste test by cooking a load for my workmates (sorry...Stormtroopers  ;D).They have been eating my experiments for years now.Did you eat the next day as i always do?
As for the Rice i prefere to use all natural ingredients so i have adapted the Darbari recipe,but its not far off the mark barring the extra food colours etc..
I,ve got a new Indian opening so very close to me & i will get info on brands soon (my friend is leasing the building from them..give us the secret or we up the lease muhahahaaaaa !!
I have made this recipe with MSG before & found no real difference.
You will have to agree to make a great tasting Curry- thats good for you is very hard but I'm not giving up so there !!! ;D

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2006, 09:54 AM »
You will have to agree to make a great tasting Curry- thats good for you is very hard but I'm not giving up so there !!! ;D

Good on you Darth I love your determination.

"If at 1st you dont succed try try again"

Layne  ;)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2006, 10:29 AM »
The bloody Stormtroopers will take the piss out of me if i fail  :(

©2024 Curry Recipes