Author Topic: The Madras 100% Clone (of my local BIR)  (Read 210629 times)

Offline johnboy

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: THE MADRAS 100% CLONE (OF MY LOCAL BIR).
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2007, 12:57 AM »
I use Darth's base all of the time now but after the first batch I made, I never put the chilli powder in. It is too spicy for the likes of Korma or Pasanda. IMHO

Without the chilli powder it works as a base for any curry that I have tried.

You'll find Korma recipies on this site, look at the recipe list at the beginning of the BIR section.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2007, 12:10 PM »
To make the most dishes possible from the same base sauce\gravy then it needs to be fairly bland and contain very little or no heat at all. 

I don't think there is much you can do to try and tone the heat down to make a korma, I know people that complain if I put more than a pinch of chili powder in a CTM  :-X

cK
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 12:14 PM by Curry King »

Offline CurryLover_NZ

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2007, 09:06 AM »
Hi guys,

I too leave out the chilli from the curry base - Darth must have an asbestos-lined stomach  :D

Even so, the base still leaves a hint of heat, which is great for anything spicy, but can still be picked up in the milder dishes. The CTM I make from this site (Curry King's) leaves a nice glow at the back of the throat - perhaps it shouldn't, but it still goes down well  ;)

Kiwis just cannot take the heat so when I make curry for them they get the CTM.  I LOVE Darth's madras, but, as indicated by George's posting, - it is still necessary to tweak the recipes to suit our own tastes, or in my case, the availability of ingredients.

I don't use the extra hot chilli in Darth's madras - I can get it, but the one I got hold of left blisters in my mouth! I am also keeping to the 'less oil' method (watching the calories) and I also fry my spices just after the onion and garlic, and sizzle the passata with the spices before adding the chicken and then the base. It doesn't make much difference but I think it is more logical. The resullt? As I said, I LOVE it!

CL_NZ

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2007, 09:15 AM »
I have made Korma & CTM & i have to agree with CK a little Chilli powder in a CTM gives it a that little extra Bite for those of us who love our food to be on the Darksi...Sorry ....
Spicy side. :)

Offline JJSH

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2007, 11:13 PM »
Made the sauce yesterday, in two pans. Unfortunately I Forgot the Coriander, and used slightly to little water. Worked well though. I then adapted a couple of Kriss Dhillon (SP?) curry's to use this sauce. Much better.

Very impressed. ;D

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2007, 06:15 PM »
Many thanks DP :-* I used your base to make a bhuna, but I used mild curry powder as I have to make it mild enough for the kids ::) ......Excellent sauce ;D final results were as near as damnit to our local BIRs' :D

I'm gonna have to try your other recipes now :P

Thanks again :P

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2007, 07:13 PM »
Hi Dominatrixxx glad it turned out so well, do you cook Curry while wearing the Black suite as well  ;D

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2007, 12:29 AM »
Hi Dominatrixxx glad it turned out so well, do you cook Curry while wearing the Black suite as well  ;D
:-X Oh dear  :o
Happy New Year Darth my old mukka
Layne  :D

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2007, 10:31 AM »
And you mate  ;D

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2007, 08:13 PM »
Hi Dominatrixxx glad it turned out so well, do you cook Curry while wearing the Black suit as well  ;D

LOL! :D but of course ::) leather is so much easier to wipe down after something hot and spicy luv 8) although since using your base sauce, the hubby usually licks more than just the plate clean ;) ;) :o (which may explain the awkward way I walk :-\ LOL)

©2024 Curry Recipes