Author Topic: The Madras 100% Clone (of my local BIR)  (Read 210647 times)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: THE MADRAS 100% CLONE (OF MY LOCAL BIR).
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2007, 09:39 PM »
Hi Onion.
I haven't tried Potato, you could go on adding ingredients ad infinitum, if its your first time making this Base i would follow exactly as Ive posted, so you get a better idea of what the original is supposed to taste like. It is becoming a globally recognized favorite, try the original then improve upon it to your particular pallet. 
Cheers.

.....DARTHPHALL..... 8)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2007, 11:36 AM »
.. if its your first time making this Base i would follow exactly as Ive posted, so you get a better idea of what the original is supposed to taste like. It is becoming a globally recognized favorite, try the original then improve upon it to your particular pallet. 

I agree with this approach 100%. I think it's so important and simply makes common sense. But I get the impression that most people make changes from the outset. If you are one of these people, please explain the logic and rationale in changing a recipe the first time you make it.

Regards
George
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 06:22 PM by George »

Offline onion gadgie

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 21, 2007, 05:41 PM »
made the madras with the darth base sauce what a curry it dont come much better in my opinion had a lovely taste followed by the burn!not too hot though perfect if you like your currys to tingle the tonsils.....cheers darth keep posting your A1 recipes   OG

Offline Bangra

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2007, 10:05 PM »
I agree with onion

I can smell what i think is swede in my local takeaway curry ,does this sound feasible?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 22, 2007, 03:27 PM »
I can smell what i think is swede in my local takeaway curry ,does this sound feasible?

I doubt it Bangra!  :-\

.....but maybe.......or something similar like white (not red) radish....

Regards,

Offline onion

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2007, 09:50 AM »
I have made Darth?s base recipe this weekend, it smelled very good, I would say during cooking it had the smell of my local BIR Biriani vegetable accompaniment dish. I followed exactly the recipe as given with the exception of the amount of chilli powder, I used only 1 teaspoon, the reason I deviated was because I want to make final curry dishes in varying heat ranges.

I used 600ml of oil as the BIR style; I believe the amount of oil is vital to the final taste/texture.

The final base had a very pleasant taste; the reduced amount of chilli powder came through with nice warmth. As I expected, it had a good depth of flavour but without any one dominating another, this I believe is correct, below is a picture of the finished blended base.

The second picture is the same base recipe but with some extras, I added a few potatoes, some cauliflower and some broccoli, I used Desiree red as they are waxy and do not break up; they also have a very full flavour.

Once the base had been simmering for a while and the potatoes were cooked through I removed them, they had the look and the taste of vegetable Biriani potatoes. I left the cauliflower and broccoli in.

Again the base had a good flavour, nice warmth but with a more pronounced BIR smell, particularly after blending. I will be using the bases at some point this week; I intend to make two identical dishes using one of each of the bases.

I am very excited
Onion

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2007, 10:51 AM »
Looking good  8)

Have to agree with you on the oil, as bad as it seems tipping that amount in if you don't it won't come out right.

cK

Offline d_alford

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2007, 01:18 PM »
Hello all.. im new to this site been cooking currys at home for some time mainly from curry recipe books and have never really had a great result with exeption to butter chicken.

I tried making the curry base last night closely following the recipe. Unfortuatly i think somthing went wrong somewhere down the line as the end result i got was a darkish brown/green colour and tast horrid, very bitter.... I think it is down to the tumeric but not really sure where i went wrong. I didnt add as much water as coudnt fit it in the pan and i put an extra stick of celery in there. also when i added the spice and water it didnt go a tomateo puree texture just very watery.

I dont want to bin the base... any one got any advise on anything i can do/add to improve it?
Or knows where i went wrong?

Shall i just use it or is it only fit for the bin?

Thanks
Dan

« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 01:21 PM by d_alford »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2007, 03:27 PM »
I think it's only fit for the bin mate  :-X

I'm not 100% sure about this base as I don't use it but I've had that green\bitter result before when blending onions before cooking them.   ???

cK

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 29, 2007, 08:25 AM »
HI d_alford, i agree with CK , best to throw away & start again, it should not turn out bitter at all more like a spicy veg Soup if you know what i mean. :)

©2024 Curry Recipes