Author Topic: The Madras 100% Clone (of my local BIR)  (Read 209614 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: THE MADRAS 100% CLONE (OF MY LOCAL BIR).
« Reply #200 on: October 21, 2007, 03:35 PM »
Hi Chris,

I usually make it with equal amounts of both so you can make any amount you like.

cK

Offline leelar

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 14, 2007, 02:48 PM »
Yes yes yes! Finally i make a cracking madras! My dad would not believe that i had made it myself, and he knows his BIR curries... I followed the base recipe exactly, but made a few minor amendments on the madras sauce... I added a tablespoon of tandori powder, 1 teaspoon of cardamon powder, juice of one third of a lemon and 200 ml more pasatta. I used fresh chillies and blended it before adding the base and the chicken... I was totally gobsmacked. The result was so close to my favourite BIR, i couldn't believe it. (only less greasy) I also used very little salt to make it a little healthier.
This was my second batch and boy am i pleased!
Darph, u r a legend and i would like to have ur children. Thank u!

Offline leelar

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 14, 2007, 02:51 PM »
i also added a tablespoon of almonds.

Offline MadRocks

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 25, 2007, 07:20 PM »
Just wanted to post to say WOW, this was my first reciepe from this site and  this has got be one of the best reciepes ive ever made(and ive tried a lot).  Tried it over the weekend and it was better than my favorite BIR.  I will defientely be trying more  ;D

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 29, 2007, 08:01 AM »
Just wanted to post to say WOW, this was my first reciepe from this site and  this has got be one of the best reciepes ive ever made(and ive tried a lot).  Tried it over the weekend and it was better than my favorite BIR.  I will defientely be trying more  ;D
Hi MadRocks
           did you make the full sized base for the curry gravy?

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 29, 2007, 11:16 AM »
Yes yes yes! Finally i make a cracking madras! My dad would not believe that i had made it myself, and he knows his BIR curries... I followed the base recipe exactly, but made a few minor amendments on the madras sauce... I added a tablespoon of tandori powder, 1 teaspoon of cardamon powder, juice of one third of a lemon and 200 ml more pasatta + 1 tbls almond powder

It's good to hear that you had success with your heavily modified version of Darth's Madras. The only thing that matters is whether the end result tastes good and it sounds like yours did. But, make no mistake, these were heavy/significant modifications and hardly 'minor amendments'!

Offline pioneer181

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 29, 2007, 03:36 PM »
Hi everyone.

I've been using this site for about a year now now and started off with no curry making skills what so ever. I've always made curries with no base sauce purely because I've not got round to making a base. I have to say I've never followed any recipes exactly and have just picked up on different recipes from different posts and have made some really good curries. Anyway, today I thought I'd get round to making Darth's base sauce as it has such rave reviews. I'm sure it'll turn out as good as everyone else's final dishes and I'm looking forward to the final result. Ill try and get some pictures up so everyone can see how it turns out.

P.S. A big thank you to everyone who posts on here. Without your knowledge and commitment to finding the perfect curry I'd still be eating stuff out of a jar.  :)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 29, 2007, 06:53 PM »
Hi Pioneer181,

Welcome to cr0, good to hear that you have been getting great results, looking forward to your follow up.

Cheers
cK

Offline Astronick

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 07, 2007, 07:05 PM »
Hi all!

Had a go at Darth's base today. A few observations:

1) The quantity - wow it makes sooo much! I ended up splitting it in two and doing 2 seperate batches (that was useful for other reasons below).

2) The heat - wow it's sooo hot! I added the extra hot chilli powder and may just live to regret it. The real cause though was my curry powder I think. I used Rajah madras (hot) which probably contains a fair bit of chilli anyway. I like my curries hot (fortunately) but let's just say I won't be making a korma with this base!!!

With the second batch I dropped the chilli powder. There is still a nice heat because of the hot curry powder but it's not too overpowering. I think next time I make it I may try using a milder curry powder.

3)  The flavour - its sooo nice! I can't wait to taste the finished product (Darth's madras). I'm going to tackle that this weekend.

Thanks for a great site!

All the best,

Astronick

Offline Astronick

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 08, 2007, 06:22 PM »
Hi again, :)

Well I had a bash at Darth's madras this afternoon and I have to say that I am amazed that I could ever produce something that great!  :D

I've got to hand it to you Darth you certainly know what you are talking about. I tried to stick as close to your original receipe as possible except that I'm a vegetarian so I used steamed vegetables (potatoes, green beans, red peppers & onions) and vegetable stock. The result was just incredible. At least as good as anything I've ever been served at a BIR.

My initial concerns about the chilli heat in the base sauce were totally unfounded. There was a great kind of background warmth which I'm sure couldn't be replicated by just chucking in chilli powder during stage 3. The dish had a real complexity of flavour which was absolutely delicious.

I shall certainly be using your receipe over and over I'm sure. Have you any others that you would recommend?

Thanks a million for seriously widening my culinary horizons!!!  :D

All the best.

Astronick

©2024 Curry Recipes