Author Topic: The Madras 100% Clone (of my local BIR)  (Read 209604 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: THE MADRAS 100% CLONE (OF MY LOCAL BIR).
« Reply #210 on: December 08, 2007, 06:32 PM »
wow it makes sooo much! I ended up splitting it in two and doing 2 seperate batches

If I remember right I think even darth himself did just that. I don't think it would harm if you halved or even quartered the recipe.

The heat - wow it's sooo hot!

He wasn't called darth Phall for nothing, he liked em hot. I wouldn't put any chilli in the base, it makes it more versatile that way.

I don't personally like this type of base (and remember this is personal preference),  I did make Darth's base many moons ago but it is too spicy for my taste. Like you say, you couldn't really make a good BIR korma with it and a base is supposed to be usable for every curry.

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 08, 2007, 09:03 PM »
Hi Astronic,  ;) This recipe certainly give you a freezer full of base sauce. As for the Madras  :o it`s the business... As for recommendations you are spoiled for choice my friend... regards...mike   ;D

Offline Spencerman

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 09, 2007, 07:00 PM »
Well, I am glad to see that Astronick is a veggie, as that touches perfectly on the question that I was about to ask.  I shall be entertaining over Christmas this year for a few vegetarians, and I have lined up a nice veggie bolognese, a nice hot veggie version of my 'mucho matcho' chilli (so hot that it burns twice and sets fire to the frozen toilet paper!), and I also plan to do a madras as I love this dish so much.  Here is my question though.  Is the substitution of veggie stock instead of chicken stock necessary, or can I just use normal plain water?  Also, which vegetables would be good to use and how is best to cook them?  I know that often you get the such like cauliflower, broccoli, baby carrots, green beans, potatoes, mini corns, but what else should I be looking for?  Also, do I cook them seperately and just add them at the end, or do I add them raw and let them cook through in the sauce?  And what is the best potatoes to use, king edward, maris piper or some other?

Offline Astronick

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 09, 2007, 11:51 PM »
Hi Spencerman,

The last curry I made (Darth's madras) I actually steamed my veggies. I made some pillau rice (as per Curry Secret receipe)except that after frying the whole spices and ghee and adding the washed uncooked rice then I stuck the whole lot in my ricecooker. The advantage here, as well as not having to worry too much about the rice, was that it comes with a steamer tray which fits over the main bowl. So I steamed my veggies over the wonderful aroma of the aromatic rice.

The beauty with steaming vegetables as opposed to boiling them, as I understand, is that more of the flavour seems to stay in the vegetables themselves - rather than in the cooking water, most of which then gets tipped away. If I'm not using the ricecooker I'll use a seperate steamer with the stacking trays.

Works for me  :)

All the best with your festive vegetarian entertaining. I have to say I like the sound of your chilli!!! ;D

Best wishes,

Astronick

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 10, 2007, 03:23 AM »
The beauty with steaming vegetables as opposed to boiling them, as I understand, is that more of the flavour seems to stay in the vegetables themselves - rather than in the cooking water, most of which then gets tipped away.

Yes, that's my understanding too. Even more importantly for one's health - 90% of the vitamins aren't lost either.

Regards
George

Offline Kaytutt

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 13, 2007, 02:02 PM »
I have just made this and all I can say is WOW!! Thank you so much for sharing.

This is without a doubt and by an absolute mile the best curry I have ever managed to make.

:-*

Offline tidsfm

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 15, 2008, 07:36 PM »
i have made just made this base and madras this weekend. and i loved every minute of it, i followed the recipe exactly as stated apart from at the end i found that the madras was not quite hot enough so i added 1 more tablespoon of hot chilli powder.here is a pic of the final product. i took pictures along the way if anyone wants to see em.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 09:30 PM by tidsfm »

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 15, 2008, 08:17 PM »
Hi tidsfm,  ;) Welcome to the family. The Madras looks spot on my friend  :P I bet it tasted good to. Not too hot I hope  :o . nice one....  ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 15, 2008, 08:32 PM »
so i added 1 more tablespoon of hot chilli powder.

To a single portion, for a madras? No way!

Offline tidsfm

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 15, 2008, 09:36 PM »
no i didn't add 1 tablespoon to 1 portion. i added it to the main pan of madras which contained 3 bags of curry base. which i got 7 portions of madras out of. and i still got a frezer full of base sauce. :D

©2024 Curry Recipes