Author Topic: The Madras 100% Clone (of my local BIR)  (Read 209587 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: THE MADRAS 100% CLONE (OF MY LOCAL BIR).
« Reply #220 on: February 07, 2008, 11:20 AM »
At what point during the final curry stage do you add the 300g Passata?

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Darths 100 percent base Fully Illustrated
« Reply #221 on: February 11, 2008, 12:14 PM »
This weekend my girlfriend was away, and so obviously I knocked up a new batch of base. After seeing the result that Darth's 100 Percent Madras achieved in the polls, I thought I'd give it another, more serious shot. This is probably the best decision of my life to date.

The 15 onion base was FAR too large for my needs and so I scaled the base sauce ingredients down by exactly half, other than the green pepper. I should have used 1.5, however as you can see, this particular green pepper is some sort of GM mutant giant capsicumiod, so I decided to stick to just the one. Here are the ingredients.

and my "home made" garlic and ginger paste and sunflower oil ::)

Although the recipe doesn't say to do this, I always mix up the spices in some sunflower oil before cooking them. I think it helps release their flavour and stops me burning them.

Here are all the ingredients added to my large pot before cooking.

And here it is just before blending (after simmering for one hour). I noted at this point that the base smelt delicious, far better than any others I have made.

Just after blending...

After the recommended 10 minute simmer. This had the froth, the scum, little oil separation and was far too light. I tasted the base and it was lovely. This was not a finished product so I turned the heat down to 1 and left it on.

After scum removal, froth re-stirring and around one hour on the lowest heat, it had darkened and the oil had separated as much as it was going to.

I then followed the Madras recipe, but used 0.5 litres base and 2 chicken breasts rather than 1.5 litres base and 6 - 7 breasts. I scaled down everything by 3. Here it is. The best curry I have made and the best curry I have ever tasted. My two mates who eat a lot of curry and have sampled my ones many times over agree. My votes coming off the Saffron base and joining the Darth massive. This recipe is absolutely brilliant!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 12:41 PM by Bobby Bhuna »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 11, 2008, 06:10 PM »
What a great post Bobby. You know, I lways suspected that you were in fact Darth Phall risen from the grave. I'm not sure if this confirms it or not. I'm certainly more suspicious.

Still a good post though.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 11, 2008, 08:11 PM »
If he starts on about putting coat hangers and tarmac in his currys we will know for sure  :D

Just noticed it's your birthday as well Bobby, a few light ales and a curry tonight is it  ;)

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 12, 2008, 09:25 AM »
Booby - Happy Birthday Day.

That curry looks amazing.

CK,

Great signature.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: February 12, 2008, 12:15 PM »
Thanks very much guys, feels good to be 24!
Darth Phall risen from the grave

Does anyone actually know where Darth went? I see he's not been on in AGES!

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 12, 2008, 02:08 PM »
Does anyone actually know where Darth went? I see he's not been on in AGES!

He went to the Dark Side of curry forums, but like most people, appears to have stopped posting their as well  ;)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 12, 2008, 02:59 PM »
Oh no! Poor Darth! Why would he do such a thing... Oh well, looks like maybe that high oil content has finally got the better of him!

Offline giraffe81

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 16, 2008, 09:37 PM »
Hi all

Gave this recipe a try this weekend. All seemed to go well, although it tasted a bit like spicy carrot and parsnip soup - which my local curry house certainly does not taste like. You could also definitely taste the celery still, which isn't normal?

I halved the base recipe, and even still it made tonnes and stunk out the house for the whole day! Don't think my wife was impressed  :P

Anyone have any ideas/pointers?

Have attached a couple of photos of my efforts...  ::)

Offline weeble

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 27, 2008, 08:56 PM »
Hi everyone

I love this recipe so much, and I've cooked it for friends and family on several occasions and they have all asked for the recipe!! I absolutely love it. I've experimented with the heat a fair bit, as the first time I found it a bit too hot, so I've been using hot chilli not extra hot and a little bit less. I've tried putting it in the base only, but I think it was better putting the heat in the madras and leaving it out of the base. But best of all, I put just a tad less in each with hot chilli not extra hot. But everyone has different taste buds so I'd say go for how you like it!  :D

Anyway, I wanted to ask if anyone has a recommendations for using this base with any other recipes on this forum?  Fancy trying something else this weekend but have loads of base left over from the last time I made this madras!!  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes