Author Topic: The Madras 100% Clone (of my local BIR)  (Read 209650 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: THE MADRAS 100% CLONE (OF MY LOCAL BIR).
« Reply #230 on: March 28, 2008, 12:46 PM »
Hi Weeble,

Personally I would give any recipe on this site a go that lists a base sauce as one of the ingredients.  Some might say that you shouldn't mix and match recipes but you don;t want to have to use your whole batch of sauce on one madras recipe  ;)

Offline Slime

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 20, 2008, 07:50 PM »
Hi,

First post, so hello to all. Just tried this but i've got the same results as d_alford in that it looks more like pea green soup and is incredibly bitter to taste. Not sure if I can keep it as it is. Any ideas what's gone wrong?

Thanks

Offline Mooelga

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 31, 2008, 05:49 PM »
I'm making the base sauce at the moment and am just leaving it to cool... it doesn't look at golden as some of the photos though  :-[ ... I'll let you know how it goes though after its cooled!

Offline Mooelga

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 01, 2008, 12:05 PM »
I made this base sauce last night and after I had taken it out of the pot and it had cooled a little it was a really nice yellow colour. I would definitely use again .. especially as my freezer is now full of it!

The only slight change I made was to add some green chilies at the same stage as the garlic and ginger.

Here's a nice picture  ;D

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 02, 2008, 12:06 PM »
Looks about right Mooelga, let us know how the final curry turns out.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 02, 2008, 12:45 PM »
Hi,

First post, so hello to all. Just tried this but I've got the same results as d_alford in that it looks more like pea green soup and is incredibly bitter to taste. Not sure if I can keep it as it is. Any ideas what's gone wrong?

Thanks

I'm sorry to say that I have no idea how you could have managed that! Trying not to sound harsh, the only advice I can give you is follow the recipe more closely. I've made this base several times, each time following the recipe and my results have never looked green or tasted bitter. Infact as far as bases on their own go, this is probably the tastiest I've made (this is not necessarily a good thing, the general concensus is that a base sauce should taste quite bland).

Offline Spencerman

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 02, 2008, 07:40 PM »
I have made this base a few times also, and appart from my terrible start by burning everything at the very first stage, it has always turned out great, even when I have forgot to put things in at the right point.

I have just realised  :-[ that I never posted a follow up to my vegetarian madras that I had planned for christmas.  It went down a real treat.  In retrospect, I would have probably put in a few more potatoes than I did, and maybe steamed the veg for a little less time, but as it was my first time using a steamer I followed instructions perfectly, not taking into account that they would continue cooking for a further ten minutes in the sauce.  We ended up eating it three times as a curry on its own, and once along with a full blown takeout from my local curry house with vegi vindaloo and bombay potatoes, nan breads and bahjis, raita and dhall and my vegi madras as a side dish.  I guess that technically we had that twice as there was curry for breakfast the next day too!

I also recently made the vegi madras for another guest only a few weeks ago.  The commemt she made was that it was better than any curry she had ever had from a takeaway, probably the best one that she had ever had!  ;D  I have given some of that batch frozen as a kind of ready meal to an old lady who lives near me, so it will be interesting to see what she thinks of it too.  I shall let you guys know.

I now need to do something about the extra weight that I am gaining because of all my curries.

Offline Mooelga

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 03, 2008, 01:51 PM »
My base sauce did look a little green when I was cooking it in the pot, but once I had blitzed it and portioned it out, it was a really nice yellow colour. I think it may have been my pot colour that made it look a bit strange (kinda grey nonstick pan)... The only time I managed to make any curry taste bitter was when the garlic went brown and I think I cooked the spices in the oil for too long...

Offline currym4d

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 26, 2008, 08:15 PM »
Wow, what an awesome recipe :)

Spent the best part of the day making the base and then continued on to the madras stage.

It's by far the best curry i've made, the consistancy was perfect as was the madras color.

The only drawback was the garlic was a little too overpowering. There was some nice heat and some real flavour trying to get through but the garlic taste kinda overpowered them.

In the base recipe i used a garlic paste out of a tube, could this have been a little too concentrated? Personally i thought the base turned out fine and didn't taste of garlic - just a nice warm spicy veg soup.

For the madras i did add a whole bulb of garlic, perhaps it was a big bulb i don't know...

Anyway i've now got a lot of curry left over to freeze - does anyone have any suggestions what i can use/do to some how tone down the garlic taste or neutralise it for when i finish of this recently made batch?

Oh and thanks DARTHPHALL for sharing this recipe!

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 26, 2008, 08:37 PM »
Did you make one whole batch of curry from the base, if so I doubt there is much you can do?

©2024 Curry Recipes