Author Topic: The Madras 100% Clone (of my local BIR)  (Read 209644 times)

Offline currym4d

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: THE MADRAS 100% CLONE (OF MY LOCAL BIR).
« Reply #240 on: June 26, 2008, 08:57 PM »
I still have a little bit of base left over, around 1ltr i think. But i was tasting the base as i went along and it didnt taste of garlic at all really.

Right now i've got a couple tubs of the finished madras and wondered if there's anything i can add to it to maybe lesser the garlic taste when i heat it up for another meal?

Also for next time, would you reccomend ditching the garlic puree (tube) and going homemadefor the base. Or just using say half a garlic bulb when cooking the madras?

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 26, 2008, 09:11 PM »
Right now i've got a couple tubs of the finished madras and wondered if there's anything i can add to it to maybe lesser the garlic taste when i heat it up for another meal?
If its finished mate its finished maybe make it into a phall so you cant taste anything :o  ;D or a garlic chili chicken?

Also for next time, would you reccomend ditching the garlic puree (tube) and going homemadefor the base. Or just using say half a garlic bulb when cooking the madras
I would use home made or the minced kind

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 09:42 PM by Unclebuck »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 27, 2008, 10:10 AM »
I use both home made and the tubed stuff but I think you just need to use less in the final curry ;)

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 27, 2008, 12:23 PM »
hi currymd4
for  the  cooking of the madras finely chop 1 garlic clove and use a "chefs pinch"
(this should be what you can grip in all four fingers and your thumb) in the dish see my "rajver madras sauce posting" that is all you will need to make the curry. and to make the dish into a phall fry in a separate pan about 1 tbsp of tomato paste/puree(mixed with water) 1tbsp chilli powder and 1tsp of curry powder( bruce edwards/rajver/lb's or what ever comes to hand) fry until you smell toffee(the spices releasing their oils) beware the chilli fumes the will make you cough so ensure you have either a gas mask or quite alot of ventilation ie windows and doors wide open all the extraction units cooker hood on full power! then add the rest of the madras clone sauce nd you will have a decent phall ( add some lemon juice if the madras doesnot include it) and garnish with coriander.
regards
gary

Offline skinnyminnie2008

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 08, 2008, 07:03 PM »
hi peeps,sorry to ask such a stupid question.???my other half wants to have another madras tomorrow,we made darths base and madras on saturday..lush :P and we froze the base sauce in 1/2 lit portions as darths instructions.my thinking is that obviously we have to defrost the base before using it tomorrow,o/h thinks we can just heat it up from frozen :-X
please can someone clarify what to do,otherwise he may well be wearing it tomorrow instead ;D
oh,and hi everyone i'm a newbie of sorts and sorry i haven't posted my 1st attempts at base and finished product,may well do tomorrow ;)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 08, 2008, 10:07 PM »
Yes, defrost. Don't add frozen.

I store mine in half-sandwich / 250ml sized plastic  zip bags. 15 minutes in luke warm water thaws them quickly.

Hope this helps.

-- Josh

Offline TGReaper

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 01, 2008, 01:09 PM »
Right guys....

I am going to attempt this base sauce ::) i will keep you posted and upload pictures.

Offline bighairybloke

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 03, 2009, 10:32 AM »
In another post, i said this base has to be the best one i have come across so far, but i omit the chilli, reduce the curry powder and garam masala, and i fry the onion with the garlic etc, at the frying stage, principly to remove the raw taste of the onion that persists in all boiled onion bases i have tried.

However i have just found by trawling the net, that if you soak the onion in water for 15 mins then discard the water this is also suposed to remover the raw onion taste too.  Another experiment coming up!

Steve

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 03, 2009, 01:06 PM »
i fry the onion with the garlic etc, at the frying stage, principly to remove the raw taste of the onion that persists in all boiled onion bases i have tried.

I really don't get what you mean with this. However I have gently fried the onions before with success. I'm not sure exactly what difference it made though. Maybe just the placebo effect :-\

Offline bighairybloke

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 03, 2009, 04:58 PM »
i fry the onion with the garlic etc, at the frying stage, principly to remove the raw taste of the onion that persists in all boiled onion bases i have tried.

I really don't get what you mean with this. However I have gently fried the onions before with success. I'm not sure exactly what difference it made though. Maybe just the placebo effect :-\

I think not all can detect it, someone earlyer in this thread also noticed it.  If you dont notice it..no probs!

Steve

©2024 Curry Recipes