Author Topic: The Madras 100% Clone (of my local BIR)  (Read 210570 times)

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: THE MADRAS 100% CLONE (OF MY LOCAL BIR).
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2006, 03:53 PM »
Hi Darth,

Yet again you have inspired me with your use of the halogen hob. Thats what I currently use although have cooked curries with all types before.

can you say whether you cook bread too such as chapaties and how do you do it?

Thanks again

Panpot

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2006, 04:38 PM »
Hi Panpot i have done home made Nan Bread before & cooked them under the grill & they turned out very nice.

Fat Les, in regards to your disappointment about the lack of savory taste i would definitely reduse the amount of Passata,you will see i have edited the recipe recently & reduced it & i agree that further experimentation is needed to to acquire the correct savory flavor as with many Bir's.

Also i have been promised cooking lessons in the actual Take-away Kitchen  :) at a new Indian near me & i hope they stick to their word & i hope to be posting more around the end of July so keep ya eyes peeled peeps. ;).

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2006, 11:46 AM »
I had a second attempt at making Darth's stage 3 Madras last night and here are some impressions:

1. This version was made with Darth's stage 1 base, whereas my first attempt was made using Terry's base. If anything, I thought the version using Terry's base was better!

2. What's weird is that I thought Darth's stage 1 base tasted better balanced and seemed to have greater potential than Terry's base. But I've always said the base is only one part of the jigsaw.

3. My results may have been distorted by other differences between the two attempts. e.g. in attempt one, I used chicken stock made from simmering raw chicken in plain water. In attempt 2 I used all the juices and fat which drained from roasting a chicken (without the addition of any extra fat to the roast). There were other minor differences too.

Either way, all these curries are tasty and very worthwhile.

Regards
George

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2006, 02:05 PM »
...This version was made with Darth's stage 1 base, whereas my first attempt was made using Terry's base. If anything, I thought the version using Terry's base was better!

UPDATE - I'm now of the view that I don't practise what I preach in that I wasn't accurate or systematic enough in making Darth's Madras, the second time round. I therefore withdraw my suggestion that Terry' base was better with Darth's Madras. Maybe it's not or maybe it is. I simply can't be sure.

Regards
George

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2006, 04:37 AM »
Hi CurryCanuck,

Have you done this yet?  If so, how did it go?  I'd be interested to hear  :)

Tried this base combo - I added the Rajah Madras Gold Curry powder & special seasoning but omitted coconut ...the end result was pleasantly surprising . I shall try a few different permutations & combinations - ie - add the coconut/omit the madras/add madras & omit seasoning etc.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 04:39 AM by CurryCanuck »

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2006, 10:29 AM »
Someone mentioned that they would much prefer this to be more on the savory side, i have edited this & the Vindalloo base stage recipes at the beggining of each of these threads.

Offline vindaloo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2006, 08:03 PM »
I made a batch of this base yesterday (chopped a bit of my finger off but that's another story :'(). Been itching to use the base since yesterday!! :D :D I tried a base out of a book months ago and that was nowhere near as good as this (it was dreadful..can't remember if  followed it to the 'book'though) ;D

I made a vindaloo tonight and used 3 bags of this base......it was fabulous!  :P I'm so excited and happy!!!!

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2006, 04:28 PM »
I am very glad your Curry turned out gooood, one thing to do though if you want to copy your local Bir you will have to adjust the amount of Base put in the second stage as i find some Bir's are very watery but my favorite Bir makes a more wholesome & thicker (but not too thick) Curry.
there is no doubt in my mind that the Base is totally correct it is the second stage were i need to beat the info out of the Chef  ;D
I'm working on it ..again, this quest is endless  :D

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2006, 04:32 PM »
Which Chef would that be :D :D  There are not many left and we can't afford any to be beaten up or killed off  ::)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2006, 04:40 PM »
No this time i Burn their house down & give their wives something to hang the Towels on !!! :o :o

©2024 Curry Recipes