Author Topic: The Madras 100% Clone (of my local BIR)  (Read 209608 times)

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Madras 100% Clone (of my local BIR)
« Reply #300 on: February 08, 2013, 12:33 AM »
I was thinking of making this base sauce tonight, but no tomatoes seems weird and unnatural to me.
I might add a can of chopped anyway.

Why not give the recipe a go as is, only then can you judge it. After all, you can add tomatoes later if your not happy. ;)

It would be an interesting subject for a university dissertation, perhaps...to understand why something close to 100% of people trying a recipe feel obliged to change it (first time and probably every time). I don't mean just on this forum but every recipe site I look at where people leave feedback. I guess luck comes into whether any change makes a recipe better, worse, or little different. Human nature, or what?

Offline BadSeed

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 08, 2013, 12:43 AM »

Why not give the recipe a go as is, only then can you judge it. After all, you can add tomatoes later if your not happy. ;)
You may have a good point there young man... ;)

It would be an interesting subject for a university dissertation, perhaps...to understand why something close to 100% of people trying a recipe feel obliged to change it (first time and probably every time). I don't mean just on this forum but every recipe site I look at where people leave feedback. I guess luck comes into whether any change makes a recipe better, worse, or little different. Human nature, or what?

But no tomatoes though...

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 08, 2013, 12:47 AM »

You may have a good point there young man... ;)

But no tomatoes though...

Not sure how the quotes got back to front but I like the young man bit. :)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 08, 2013, 11:07 AM »
There is tomatoes in the recipe, Passata, stage 3. I still use this recipe regular, it's a big favourite for me and my friends.
I use 300ml of passata in the recipe but that's just for my tastes.

Offline BadSeed

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 08, 2013, 12:16 PM »
I am just making the base, not the whole thing.
So here we go - I copied the recipe exactly (probably should of done 1/2)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 08, 2013, 05:09 PM »
I am just making the base, not the whole thing.

Interesting how you nicely sliced up your onions in there. I just peel mine, top and tail 'em, chop them in half and sling them in!

It's also well worth hanging on to the coriander stalks from a bunch of coriander you've used as garnish for adding to base sauces. You don't want too much coriander leaf as it turns the sauce greenish, whereas stalks don't.

Offline Reo

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 24, 2013, 06:30 AM »
Wait... 20-30 Coriander stocks literally means just the stems without the leaves?

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 24, 2013, 09:34 AM »
Yep, just the stalks Reo.  Welcome to the site by the way.  :D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 24, 2013, 12:31 PM »
Yep, just the stalks Reo.

But that doesn't mean you strip the leaves from the stalks and then use the latter; rather, you select just the lower part of the stalk that is naturally devoid of leaves.

** Phil.

Offline GibraltarRed

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 17, 2013, 07:02 PM »
Well I just found this site a few days ago, and am trying this for the first time. Been missing BIR since I came to Gibraltar 10 years ago, the local curries are just not the same.
Pretty much followed exactly, except used a whole bunch of coriander including leaves and stems, and done roughly half though as only have a smallish casserole pot for now. Going to also do a tikka marinade, and on sunday attempt a Chicken Tikka Bhuna with Pilau Rice.
Currently on the boil, and making my apartment smell amazing.

©2024 Curry Recipes