Author Topic: Tava!  (Read 16309 times)

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Tava!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 01:57 AM »
I use a Tava type on a built-in Jenn-air gas range ( similar to a wok )....it is quite thick and after seasoning it does turn black . Never wash it.....just wipe with paper towel .

CC

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 09:53 AM »
I have a cast iron one which makes great chapatis.? One minute cooking on one side and then about another 30 to 45 seconds on the other.

Hi CQ,

At one of my local BIRs they cook the chappati like you do on one side then they turn it over onto a direct gas flame. It puffs up in a few seconds and is done. I do this myself at home with care.
It takes a bit of time to learn the trick and not burn the house down but seems to keep the bread a bit more moist and fluffy than with more prolonged cooking on the Tava. I have never used that technique on Naan breads though.

Some asian shops sell a large flat round mesh spoon type of thing to hold the chappati over the flame.

Ray

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 01:37 PM »
Had another go with the left over dough and it was a roaring sucess, perfect.

I rolled it out this time before trying to pop it on the tava

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 01:56 PM »
Mark

Your bread looks superb! Does it taste as good as it looks, like at a BIR?

Regards
George

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 02:42 PM »
Gosh Mark,

That is ace to say the least.
I am going to try that one myself. I also use the Madhur Jaffrey recipe but oven cook it at the highest temperature for about 3-4 minutes. However your attempt looks better and more authentic to the BIR.

Can't wait to give it a go.

Did you make the recipe as written or have you altered it at all?

Ray

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 02:57 PM »
Hi Folks, indeed they tasted very good and like a bir apart from I floured my hands and surface to roll them out so they had a dusting of flour on them and I didnt baste it in ghee (I've only eaten a bit of it and have frozen the rest).

The recipe was exactly as you said ray apart from I added a heaped TSP of kalonji. I did the dough in my bread maker.

I got the tava really hot and then slapped the nan on it and slapped it under the grill, it started to bubble immediately, in the picture the grill doesnt look that hot but it was.

If I was to make the recipe again I would reduce the amount of milk in it to 50ml because I think there was slightly too much liquid in it which I guess is down to all sorts of thinks like the flour I used etc. This is the recipe I used : http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=661.msg6183#msg6183

Do you folks know how I can manipulate the dough and roll it out without having to flour my hands, rolling pin and surface? When Ive seen tandoor chefs make nan they get their hands wet and they spin it between 2 hands, I tried this for my first attempt and guess I need more practice as it started to resemble scrambled egg!  ;D

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2006, 05:16 PM »
Wow, the pics look great!  I will try the nan tomorrow using the Madhur Jaffrey recipe, egg and all, to see what happens.  Can't wait to try it out.  By the way, I went to a large Sainsbury's yesterday and saw Nan mix by an indian brand - forget which one - in the flour aisle.

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2006, 05:38 PM »
Hi Ray,

Been there and done it!  My husband prefers them so that they are chewy still.  Its all down to preference.  I prefer naans myself with loads of garlic and coriander on top.

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2006, 08:47 PM »
I did the dough in my bread maker.

Hi Mark,

I use my bread maker for the same reason. Since using it as the lazy way to knead the dough I have found it produces very light fluffy Naan bread, it must be the air it gets in it. It is also easy to adjust the mix with liquid if you need to without having to handle a sticky mess. Breadmakers make great dough for Pizza bases too.

Good luck with your attempt tommorow Payal, it is a very good recipe and worth a try.

Ray

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2006, 09:44 PM »
Hi Ray , i made my first Nan Bread with a Bread maker  :D

©2024 Curry Recipes