Author Topic: curry gravy from rajver(biddenden) revisited  (Read 34898 times)

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
curry gravy from rajver(biddenden) revisited
« on: January 15, 2006, 09:21 AM »
hi all thought i would re-post the recipe for the curry gravy from my local as maybe there are a few people having joined this forum that may actually try this very good sauce. to date i believe that stew( admin) was the only one who posted that he tried it but changed the recipe because he & the rest of the forum were sceptical of the use of garam masala in the base.

this sauce was tried by a guy @ my work place he and his wife went off got all the ingredients in preparation to cook the next day.but when they got home they were so excited they made the sauce  from scratch followed to the letter.and then used the methods to make madras from curryhouse cookery.90mins later they were both sitting down to eat their meal.then next day he came in and he told me they couldnot have believed how good it was. he used to contribute approx ?2000 a year to his local restaurant now he has atleast 1-2 a week that he just has to go to his refridgerator and in 20 mins he has a restaurant quality curry. my other claim to the quality of this sauce is another friend who i gave KD's base recipe for and his wife thought he had been to the takeaway, but once i had given him the recipe from my local he was even more impressed and so were his family and friend sso much so he was talked into doing a curry for 50 people and again this sauce was a big hit even though all he did was make a chicken curry, i could go on and on like Darth(regarding feedback from friends ;D)

all i'm saying is try it (sensing alittle deja vu!)

ingredients
4 large onions
1 green pepper
1 carrot (4-6in)
5 green chillies
1/2 tin of tomatoes blended
1 cup of veg oil(standard coffee cup)
1/2 bunch of fresh coriander
3/4 litre of water
chop all ingredients put in pot boil for 30 mins

remove from heat add(these spices are your curry powder to use with the final curries)

2dsp turmeric
1 dsp chilli powder
1dsp ground coriander
1dsp cummin
1dsp yes here it is garam masala
mix well return to heat for 30 mins on simmer with lid onstirring occassionally. and there you have it remove the oil from the top before blending then return it to the  sauce oh just blend to the consistency of puree for no more than a minute. if you have precooked you chicken and rice in the time for the sauces cooking time you will have cooked base form scratch to final dish in 90mins max. you can use this with any of the final recipes on this forum and don't be put off because  there is no garlic/ginger in the base all i ask is for someone to try you will not be disappointed.

good luck to all. be open minded

regards gary

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: curry gravy from rajver(biddenden) revisited
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 10:44 AM »
This looks like a good dish to try out,thanks for re-posting it.
Some similarities to the very successful one i always use & a large proportion of that recipe was given to me from my local Bir/Take-away.
As soon as i try it I'll post my findings.

.....DARTHPHALL..... :)

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 05:51 PM »
Looks like a reasonable base sauce to work with....shall certainly give it a try - thanks for the post .

CC

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 06:00 PM »
Hi mate, was it Bruce Edwards madras?

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 09:05 AM »
hi mark it's woody
no i think it was the method using precooked onions which i believe was posted by you  or ck :) ? as he said he & his wife were most impressed now i believe his favourite is chicken tikka madras.balti kitchen tikka and follow the methods madras top notch ::). the good thing about the sauce i have posted it is cooked before you know it. you can add more oil to retrieve the spiced oil but don,t remove all of the oil of you lose consisitency a bit like blending all of the oil in.

regards

gary

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 06:29 AM »
Made two recipes of this base sauce , each with its own blend of garam masala...the result quite good , but each recipe had its own unique flavor  because of the contrasting ingredients of the masala . Garam masala can present a strong influence on a base depending on the spice blend .

CC

Offline Jeepster

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 03:00 PM »
Hi Gary I have tried this sauce and it is very good! I agree about putting the garam masala in, it works! In some recipes it is added 5 minutes before completion or just before serving and it is too overpowering. Because the masala is added at the 2nd stage and has 30 minutes to simmer it is toned down just right.

I have now customized this recipe, here are the changes (not additions) I have made, not better just different:

Stage 1
3 (tennis ball size) onions. Whole tin of plum tomatoes, after blending pour through seive into pot. 1/2 amount of veg. oil, 3 cloves garlic (peeled), 2 celery stalks(chopped). Teaspoon ginger (chopped), 2 green chillis (chopped).

Stage2
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder, at the end of cooking stir in 1 300g can Heinz cream of tomato soup (it works and really adds a good depth of flavour!) then proceed as in original recipes.

I reduced the amount of chilli so it makes what I would call a mild base. When I make a veg. curry I can then add more at that stage or leave it mild for those who don't like hot curries.

Jeepster

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 09:59 PM »
Made two recipes of this base sauce , each with its own blend of garam masala...the result quite good , but each recipe had its own unique flavor  because of the contrasting ingredients of the masala . Garam masala can present a strong influence on a base depending on the spice blend .

Too true! Gary, can you please advise exactly which blend of Garam Masala you and your friends used, in order to get such good results Otherwise it could be 1 dsp of almost anything!

Regards
George

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 03:12 PM »
hi george
i was using garam masala from julian graves experience endosred by leslie the famous tv chef from ready steady cook but now switched to using trs i believe. but i believe that it probably is just a basic garam masala cloves peppercorns black cardamoms and cassia bark or cinnamon. have not had enough time or right ingredients to do this. :)

well hope this helps. gonna start to prepare for chicken vinadloo for tonite using the curry base that pete posted using onions, garlic tomatoes, oil tomato puree and restaurant masala and it takes only 30 minutes to make ,sorry not sure on the link but i have made rajver vindaloo and when i forgot to get some chicken used tandoori chicken drum sticks and sliced the meat off once cooked. will post the reccipe for the tandoori chicken soon it was fantastic. used rajah tandoori paste(not like pataks it is smooth) mustard oil (made by ktc) followed the method on the side of the jar but added garlic paste and chopped coriander and a little mint sauce. leave the raw chicken pieces in some lemon juice as it prepares the chicken for acceptance of the marinade  ;D

anyway good luck

someone please try this and the vindaloo i posted you will not be disappointed.

regards for now gary

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 07:45 PM »
hi guys and girls

just finished making my onion gravy it smells and tastes yummy.did change the quantities alittle more onion 6, added more water 1.25ltr, 2 carrots again 4-6in, 1 1/2 green peppers more oil approx 2 cups( remove before blending and ,its a deep red colour, then return to gravy)  whole tin of plum toms blended and 2tablespoons of tomato puree, used tablespoons of spices not desertspoons 3/4 tbsp salt and added 1/2 bunch of coriander. (you can put a couple of tbsps of veg ghee it does add something to the final dish). remember BOIL 30mins SIMMER 30mins blend added hot water to a soupy consistency before returning the oil to the pan and it will last a week in the fridge covered.

recipes posted vindaloo use more oil in the recipe to cook the sauce add a little of the juice from the cooking of the meat or veg adds a nice touch use more tom puree say 1 1/2 tbsp watered down ( small tins of tom paste from asda 7p & 19p mix with same vol of water) add more rajver masala 1dsp.

for a madras you know most of this anyway same as the vindaloo less chilli , use lemon juice not vinegar and add 2 1/4 of tomato just before the end some use prefried onion some add coconut some add almonds your choice but keep it simple ;)

medium curry just follow bruce edwards recipe with the exception of not using the fine green pepper

bhuna - add 1/2tsp of chilli  green peppers and onion and cook to dryish consistency

jalfrezi- add same as bhuna plus chillies and mo

korma- if this is your favorite dish because you cannot have the heat reduce green chillies in the base to nil.
2-3 tbsp of oil 1-2 tsp coconut powder 1-2 tsp of almonds 1 tsp of rajver masala 1 1/2 ladles of gravy 1tsp sugar 2-3 tbsp cream 1 tsp of butter.  heat oil not hot  add coconut powder, almonds rajver masala and 1/2 ladle of gravy mix well and heat on high for 1 min  add the chicken and bubble for 1 minute add the gravy and sugar cook for 3-4 minutes then add cream and butter stir well and heat for 2-3 mins then serve.

dhansak- 3 cloves of garlic 1 medium onion 1/2 tsp of chilli powder 3-4 sliced chillies 1-2 tsp of sugar 1/2 lemon juiced 1 1/2 tsp of rajver masala fresh coriander and precooked lentils ( tarka dhall)
fry garlic til brown fry onion light brown ad spices sugar lemon and chillies mix well 30seconds on the heat donot burn so stir constantly add lentils mix in  then add chicken and gravy simmer for 3-4 mins garnish and serve
 well i hope you all enjoy trying these out some are from rajver but if all else fails use the bruce edwards recipes exept fenugreek

cheers
 ;)gary

©2024 Curry Recipes