Author Topic: curry gravy from rajver(biddenden) revisited  (Read 34894 times)

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: curry gravy from rajver(biddenden) revisited
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 09:30 PM »
There are some excellent base sauces on this forum , along with superb recipes to go with them  . Some of the accompanying recipes , however , need to be a little more creative  . Using the same base and adding more or less of an ingredient(s) doesn't create a different dish . If the underlying flavor is basically the same for all the dishes but only hotter , sweeter or creamier then I don't think that we have emulated the varied tastes found in BIR cooking .

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 10:14 AM »
There are some excellent base sauces on this forum , along with superb recipes to go with them . Some of the accompanying recipes , however , need to be a little more creative . Using the same base and adding more or less of an ingredient(s) doesn't create a different dish . If the underlying flavor is basically the same for all the dishes but only hotter , sweeter or creamier then I don't think that we have emulated the varied tastes found in BIR cooking .

I'm not so sure, to me good BIR cooking is the ability to churn out what appears to be 20 different dishes from one base sauce and a handfull of other ingredients.  Once you start to need 50 different things to make a few currys its more authentic style than BIR.

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 02:46 PM »
I totally agree cK , but some of the recipes imply that if you add more chili peppers for example? to a base , that it all of a sudden it becomes a a dish with a different name . From my perspective , it is the same dish , only hotter .
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 05:49 PM by CurryCanuck »

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 01:29 PM »
hi cc

that is not what i implied  :o

what i meant was being that i have tasted the base it has a kick of heat using 5 chillies so if you cannot handle the heat being a lover of the korma or as some one put it the kiddies curries then it is not necessary.and again i am a believer that yes the can use the same ingredients to make several different but using differing quantities they would although have the same consistency using the same base but taste different. the hotter curries have to have more of the ingredients to taste the dish over the chilli heat ;D

regards gary( woodpecker)

Offline Dan Sak

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 08:02 PM »
Hi

Beginner here, looking for a first base sauce to try and like the sound of this one. Any idea what sort of quantity this would make eg number of single portions? Also would you de-seed the five green chiles or not?. I would guess five chiles and a desert spoon of powder would make a pretty hot sauce.

Cheers

Tom

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 08:07 PM »
In the quanities listed you will probably get 2 litres of base sauce, maybe enough fot 6 to 8 main curries.

Have a go and welcome to the forum

Stew 8)

Offline Dan Sak

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 11:46 PM »
I had a go and made this last night, it is my first attempt at a base sauce.

After blending I got a dull yellow coloured soup, a similar colour to a tin of Homepride curry or a chinese takeaway curry, does that sound about right?

I made it exactly to the recipe, no changes at all, and measured the spices using proper measuring spoons.

On it's own the sauce does not taste like a curry, it is quite sweet and the predominant taste is of coriander. I guess that could be about right as it is only one ingredient of the final curry, any opinions highly welcomed.

Now I have to find a final recipe to try. I thought I might go for the Bruce Edwards spice mix first with a little garlic/ginger at the start of cooking, again, any opinions highly welcomed.

Cheers

Tom

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 12:43 AM »
Hi DS,

I haven't made this particular base, but a pale golden colour, lightly spiced, somewhat bland tasting on it's own, of soup consistency, sounds about right.  Sweet is good; it's easy to end up bitter which is not good.  A curry base is the BIR's equivalent to stock!

What type of curry do you like and are looking to make DS?  I think Gary has also supplied recipes for turning it into a Madras sauce here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2152.msg18135#msg18135 and a vindaloo sauce here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2041.0

...if you like that kind of thing?

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 05:00 AM »
hi guys
this sauce isnot the new base sauce from Rajver if you look at the posting new chef bases sauce and vindaloo recipe which i posted last month. i think you will find you will acheive better results. thew bonus is that i also posted the recipe for madras sauce and spice mix as well. the method also is much easier to follow and will give the almost exact copy of Rajvers curries and if you have the heat output. try cooking it in a large stainless steel balti dish because they are so thin the heat gets to the food quicker ie heats up quicker.

hope this helps. that is not to say you won't acheive a good curry with this sauce.

regards
gary

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 07:50 AM »
So, if I understand you correctly Gary, this link:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2041.0

supplies the newer Rajver Curry Base and corresponding Vindaloo recipe and this link:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2152.0

supplies the corresponding Madras recipe? 

Is this correct Gary?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 11:10 PM by Cory Ander »

©2024 Curry Recipes