Author Topic: curry gravy from rajver(biddenden) revisited  (Read 34726 times)

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: curry gravy from rajver(biddenden) revisited
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 12:49 PM »
hi coryander
yes they are the ones.

regards
gary

Offline Fitzy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 08:23 PM »
I have made this base, and got to say one of the best i have made. Thanks ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2008, 03:42 PM »
Hi gary

I was looking through this thread and the other posts about the rajver base because this is going to be the next one I try. As I read I was just getting more and more hungry so off I went to make one (freestyle) with the last of my Smokenspices base. I got to the adding spices stage and thought I caught a whiff of the toffee smell you mentioned. I then turned away from the cooker to do something quickly at the sink and there it was, a very definite, unmistakable toffee smell.

I must admit, when you talked about a toffee smell I thought you were just trying to describe something that was close to the smell you were getting, but no, it's 100% toffee. Blimey I thought (or words to that effect).

The strange thing is I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary compared to the way I usually make curries but I can honestly say I have never got the toffee smell before. Perhaps it's because normally I'm standing over the pan, maybe you have to get a bit of distance so that the subtlety of the odour manages to make itself known.

The curry turned out OK but nothing special.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 11:42 AM »
gary,

hope u don't mind but somehow i've got your base slightly different to as posted in this "revisited" post (i think i have collated the info from the various individual previous posts).

i find it to be 100% spot and post it here for the benefit of others and if possible for u to clarify if it's simply a slight derivative or whether i've interpreted the info wrong (albeit with fantastic results, made it 4 times now with consistent result)

recipe:

boil for 1 1/2 hrs (with lid on)
6 large onions (2 lb)
3/4 tbsp salt
1.25 litre of water
1 or 2 cup of veg oil (standard coffee cup, 120ml)
4 cloves garlic (1/4 bulb)

add chopped and boil for 30 mins
1 1/2 green pepper (8 oz)
2 carrot (4-6in)(8 oz)
5 green chillies
1 tin of tomatoes blended
2 tbsp tom puree
1/2 bunch of fresh coriander (25 g)

then add and simmer for 20 mins
1 tin coconut milk
1 tbsp turmeric
2 tbsp curry power*

remove from heat add (*these spices are your curry powder to use with the final curries)
1 tbsp chilli powder*
1tbsp ground coriander*
1tbsp cummin*
1tbsp yes here it is garam masala*

take off the heat and blend. Add a littlie more hot water to make slightly runnier soup consistency then simmer 45 mins

Offline HOTRING

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 10:02 AM »
Hi all
I have made about ten different gravy's from this fabulous forum with the resulting curries all being very similar in taste when it comes to patia, ceylon, korma etc all being very close to my fav BIR but not quiet? if you now what i mean.
The hardest to get right IMO is madras & this i think is, if the base is not 100% it will show more in the madras than any other due to lack of the domineering flavours, woodpecker21's gravy with parker21's respite is the best I have ever made 95% of my fav BIR & far better than some other BIR's I have tried, deffinatly got that special tast.
I thank you both dearly for your effort :D
but i am totaly confused  :-\
1 You are both called Gary
2 You have almost identical gravy/recipes
3 you are both someone21
4 you both have recipes from your local BIR chef
5 your locals are both called rajver
Have you registered twice & different computers log you on? or are you schizophrenic LOL
Goner try your gravy next Parker er woodpecker, gary, woody Oh f##k knows ;D
Thanks again

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 04:34 PM »
confused  :-\
1 You are both called Gary
2 You have almost identical gravy/recipes
3 you are both someone21
4 you both have recipes from your local BIR chef
5 your locals are both called rajver
Have you registered twice & different computers log you on? or are you schizophrenic LOL
Goner try your gravy next Parker er woodpecker, gary, woody Oh f##k knows ;D
Thanks again

Yeah its the same blokey.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 08:18 AM »
hardest to get right IMO is madras & this i think is, if the base is not 100% it will show more in the madras than any other due to lack of the domineering flavours

Hotring, totally agree

i feel i'm about the same % there.

try the smoked paprika (ultimate curry post, http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2585.0.html) from Sainsbury?s called La Chinata in your spice mix and add a splash of worcester sauce toward the end of cooking. both work very well for my madras taste buds.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 11:19 AM »
and add a splash of worcester sauce toward the end of cooking. both work very well for my madras taste buds.

Seen this mentioned a few times before, where did you get the idea from Jerry?

Offline HOTRING

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 05:00 PM »
My Mrs complained as we have had this Madras for dinner & tea all week & her mate said she smells like the taj mahall, so i cooked a korma tonight lol.
I used this base & I must say it has a tiny bit of heat but is pretty good!
well the sauce is ready I will split it in half later so I can put a tsp of chilli in my half when I reheat it with the chicken in ;)

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 09:04 PM »
hi just to dispell a few rumours. iam both woodpecker and parker the former was my log on name before i forgot my password, but i now post as parker.
jerrym you have collated both of the recipes from rajver each from a different chef. the original post come under rajver onion gravy, the revisited post is my adapted version adding the muslin of whole spices. the curry gravy last posted is under my posting of my vindaloo sauce demo / new chef. this is the gravy i currently use. the original and revisited versions are very tasty bases and versatile enough for most of the recipes for final dishes if you find the heat of the chillies too much then remove the seeds and membrane from them.

the original and revisted versions take 1 hour from start to finish. and both have had favourable calls from my friends at work. the madras that works the best is posted by curry king early on on the life of cr0, will have a look and see if i can find it for you.

Congratulations jerrym you have managed to adapt and create an new base sauce which i thnink you should call "jerrym's rajver luxury curry sauce"

if this works for jerry then keep going with it. i know my wife would agree, the last 5-6 vindaloos have been the sort that you don't want to put down but have to so you aren't just pouring it down your neck, and that is a compliment beyond all compliment imho ;)

regards
gary

©2024 Curry Recipes