Author Topic: Spiced oil  (Read 14555 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Spiced oil
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 08:57 PM »
Here's a good (bad) review, mentioning the use of 'spiced vegetable oil' at the start of para 4.

http://website.lineone.net/~bradfordcurryguide/sweetc.htm

See also the home page of this 'Bradford Curry Guide' web site:

http://website.lineone.net/~bradfordcurryguide/index.htm

Lots of BIRs (online menus) seem to mention 'spiced oil' in connection with Biryani, Dhansak and, to a much lesser extent, rogan josh.

Regards
George
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 09:01 PM by George »

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 10:50 PM »
Hi george,

It's interesting that the menu actually mentions spiced oil. I can't think of a menu ever mentioning it to promote it's product.

I have never eaten there but have gone to many incidents in the road outside where drunken fights had broken out on a friday night.
Someone was shot dead a few yards from that restaurant some time ago but I don't think it was the chef!!

I think the reviews say it all and it is one I would personally avoid. There are many more BIR's in Bradford far better than that.
Lumb Lane was Bradfords "red light and drugs" district until a couple of years ago so folk could get more than a curry in that road if they wanted!

Ray

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 01:04 AM »
Ray

Thanks for the warnings on some areas of Bradford. I'll heed your advice!

If you go to google.co.uk and search on:

"spiced oil" + biryani

and tick the box 'results from UK', you'll see how many BIRs mention 'spiced oil' in connection with that dish. I'm now beginning to wonder if most places smother the pre-cooked pilau rice in oil, rather than base sauce, after all, to make a typical BIR biryani.

Regards
George

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 05:51 PM »
Hi Ray,

With reference to the tarka, I was referring to John's comments re oil, spices etc.  This is what a lot of people use when they are cooking authentic dishes.  Not the same as spiced oil.  When I make curry base I normally put about a pint of oil into it when I start to make it.  This then takes on all the flavours that are in the pot and then I just spoon it all off, or as much as I can, before blending the gravy.  The tarka you are talking about from Bruce Edwards probably would not have very much significance with regard to flavour as it is only oil and tomato.  Where as the way I do it has lots more flavour/aroma and smells divine when it hits the pan on initial cooking.  If you havn't already tried this method then I seriously think you should do so.  This is, I am quite certain what a lot of restaurants are lacking in the final aroma of a curry.

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 11:00 PM »
Hi CQ,

Thanks for that advice. I sounds to me that spiced oil must add a certain something to the final taste of any curry whether BIR or home made.
I have experimented a bit with spiced oil by adding more to the base than recommended and then skimming it off. It does produce a flavour to the oil reminicent of the taste of the BIR so I think must be part way to the answer of that elusive flavour we all seek.

I haven't used as much as a pint of oil but I don't see why such a large amount should be a problem if it is skimmed off after it has been infused from the base. I will give it a try next time I make a base sauce.

Regards

Ray

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2006, 08:15 AM »
Like Curryqueen says, tarka is nothing like the curry gravy oil
The tarka oil has a mild tomatoey taste
The curry gravy oil is so strong that it dominates the whole curry's flavour
If you get it on your hands, then they stink for days
It is the main source of the BIR "flavour"
In all the kitchens, I have been in, it is the only oil they use (apart from scooping a little more from the top of the curry gravy too)
They have it salvaged, in a 6 inch high ghee pot, near (or on), the stove.
The next time anyone has a curry, pour a sample of this oil off.
Get a couple of teaspoons worth
The next day check it out
You won't believe how powerfull it is
It's flavour is not made at the time of your curry
It  is from frying, at the start of the curry gravy, and then many hours of boiling afterwards.
To make a BIR style curry you really only need three things
A really good (but watery) curry base (using black cardamoms)
A good spice blend & curry gravy oil
As soon as this special oil hits a heated pan, you know you are doing something right
It's an instantly recognisable smell from when you are waiting, at the takeaway,for your curry to be cooked

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2006, 03:32 PM »
Just try it and you will never turn back.  If you don't like too much oil, then all you have to do is use the necessary stated in the recipe you are using and then just sppon if off at the end.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2006, 05:51 PM »
Last Saturday I cooked an authentic lamb rogan josh, recipe by mdhur jaffrey, and it had 10 TBSP of oil in it, I skimmed a lot of this off and am having the same authentic dish again tonight using the reclaimed oil, Ill let you know if I think its any different in this style of dish.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2006, 11:12 PM »
It is the main source of the BIR "flavour"

I agree with your comments about the strength and necessity of the reclaimed oil.

But is it the source (input) of the BIR flavour or the output? I suggest it's the latter, although the output then becomes a key input, of course. All we have to discover is which spices to add to the curries, so the oil picks up the same flavours as the BIR oil along the way, starting with when it's fresh vegetable oil. If your oil is not the same as the oil from your BIR curries, then it must be because you are using different spices in the base sauce, or much more likely, the 'stage 2' curries.

Regards
George

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2006, 12:47 PM »
Mark, did you try using the reclaimed oil and if you did, how did it go?

©2024 Curry Recipes