Author Topic: Cooking lessons  (Read 2303 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Cooking lessons
« on: January 25, 2006, 06:48 PM »
I just found a thread dating back to 2003, featuring teacher Janet.

It's at: http://www.in2curry.co.uk/curry_chat/posts.asp?fTopicID=120

She doesn't give much away. Pete, did her recipes get anywhere near the BIR taste you are after? I guess not, as other recipes appear to have received greater praise.

And in the same thread, a contributor called 'Islam' says: I run curry consultant program where i can teach any body how to cook indian take away style food and not like any tele program or recipie book where you follow and the food you just cooked does not look or taste like the food you use to. any part of country no problem."

His eMail address is given on that thread. Did anyone contact him?

Regards
George

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Cooking lessons
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 08:14 PM »
Hi George and everyone,

Have not got a comment on the last thread but seeing as it is called Cooking Lessons my post is relevant here I think.

Have just seen an advert in my local paper (Yorkshire Post) advertising cookery demonstration days at three of the Agraah Restaurants here up north. They do these once a year but I missed it in 2005.

The nearest to me is at Shipley near Bradford and they are doing it on a Sunday in March so I am booking in for a go.

For ?22 they offer a three hour cooking demonstration where you are involved making your own choice of starter and main which you get to eat after with a few beers etc.
It looks to be a good chance to actually get into a real BIR and see what happens.

Naturally there will be plenty of subtle questions from me asking for the secrets we all want to know. Perhaps you all may like to post some questions I can write down and ask.

I will also take my video camera and see if they are O.K. for me to film what goes on.
I won't hold my breath it is going to produce any revelations as this chain of restaurants is not the standard BIR but the more up-market contemporary style with dishes you have never heard of so perhaps their methods are different!. However, they do the usual menu as well.

Looks like a bit of an adventure to me.

Regards

Ray

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 10:31 PM »
Hi Ray
? ? ? ? I think the most important thing is to get this flipping curry gravy right.
Since having eaten a sample of it, I have almost given up trying
It really is that nice
I have made some fantastic curry gravies over the years
I even had it demoed at Bengal Cuisine
But nothing compares to the real thing!

I just found a thread dating back to 2003, featuring teacher Janet.

It's at: http://www.in2curry.co.uk/curry_chat/posts.asp?fTopicID=120

She doesn't give much away. Pete, did her recipes get anywhere near the BIR taste you are after? I guess not, as other recipes appear to have received greater praise.

And in the same thread, a contributor called 'Islam' says: I run curry consultant program where i can teach any body how to cook indian take away style food and not like any tele program or recipie book where you follow and the food you just cooked does not look or taste like the food you use to. any part of country no problem."

His eMail address is given on that thread. Did anyone contact him?

Regards
George

Hi George
? ? ? ? ? ? ? The results were good but NOT exact
Anything less is not good enough for me
I am beginning to think that it is impossible to recreate BIR curries unless you get an unrepeatable, lucky cooking moment.
That has happened to me several times, and I just don't know what went right

On the other matter, of the curry consultant, I emailed him at the time and I've just emailed him again

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 09:59 AM »
I am beginning to think that it is impossible to recreate BIR curries unless you get an unrepeatable, lucky cooking moment.That has happened to me several times, and I just don't know what went right

Hi Pete,

Well you say you have done it more than once so it is repeatable, just need to work out what it was that made that difference.  My problem at the moment is that im very happy my current results and would say they stand up against any regular curry but the odd occasion when I do have a takeaway from my new favorite "upmarket" BIR im gutted as it blows mine away   :'(   

©2024 Curry Recipes