Author Topic: Running out of ideas  (Read 18384 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Running out of ideas
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 09:24 PM »
Hi emin-j,

I agree with Chewy, kashmiri mirch and Kashmiri chilli powder are the same thing, at least that's what I believe? However, the brand really is the difference. MDH kashmiri mirch (not to be confused with MDH deggi mirch, which to me, seems hotter..!) is just about the best that I have come across.  Really red in colour and warm but not 'mad' hot that's why I get away with 3 tsp's in my madras.

I did try another brand not long ago, can't even remember the name but it was utter junk, and went sraight in the bin after 1 outing.

Again, I only use 1 tsp of spice mix in my madras.  Any more than that would, I should imagine, darken the sauce somewhat?

Ray :)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 07:46 PM »
Hi emin-j,

I agree with Chewy, kashmiri mirch and Kashmiri chilli powder are the same thing, at least that's what I believe? However, the brand really is the difference. MDH kashmiri mirch (not to be confused with MDH deggi mirch, which to me, seems hotter..!) is just about the best that I have come across.  Really red in colour and warm but not 'mad' hot that's why I get away with 3 tsp's in my madras.

I did try another brand not long ago, can't even remember the name but it was utter junk, and went sraight in the bin after 1 outing.

Again,
I only use 1 tsp of spice mix in my madras.
  Any more than that would, I should imagine, darken the sauce somewhat?

Hi Razor,
I would think you are using quite a highly Spiced Base to be able to use only 1 tsp of mix ?

atb.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 12:10 PM »
Hi emin-j,

Hi Razor,
I would think you are using quite a highly Spiced Base to be able to use only 1 tsp of mix ?

I guess so mate.  I know some base recipes call for little more than turmeric and the usual veg whereas Chewys base does use a chefspoon of mixed powder.

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 12:24 PM »
hi emin j, the issue you describe sums up the missing 5 percent. I am completely in the same mindset as you my friend. Its very fustrating to say the least. No matter how many bir chefs post new material or print new books nothing really compares to that illusive taste.
     I have concluded that its only partly  to do with traditional indian cookery and those spices. I justify this because i have tried hundreds of traditional indian recipies , with base and without base ,by many chefs, and no matter what i do, it tastes nothing like a real TA.  Not even close if i am being brutally honest. Traditional indian cookery spices are not the complete answer , there must be some thing else.  Knowing about indigenous bangladesh cookery would be the best route to success, knowing all the vegetables, and other spices they use may help. shame not many books cover this. 

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 01:11 PM »
Hi DD,

One thing that troubles me is this: Whenever I cook anything reasonably complicated I tend to over-analyze the flavour of my cooking far too much. If somebody else had cooked it I would have decided whether I liked it or not and then would hopefully scoff the food without all this thinking and analysis going on.

I wonder how much of this dissatisfaction and soul-searching is just our personalities for some of us.
Maybe we can never accept that what we cook is like a BIR, even though others who taste our food are satisfied?

Cheers,

Paul

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 05:14 PM »
Thanks' Guys, It's good to know I'm not on my own then  :)
I just cant work out how they make such a lovely light textured but very Savoury Base  :-\
And a nice Orange Colour  ;)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 06:11 PM »
I have concluded that its only partly  to do with traditional indian cookery and those spices. I justify this because i have tried hundreds of traditional indian recipies , with base and without base ,by many chefs, and no matter what i do, it tastes nothing like a real TA. 

Same, have you tried the long simmering of the base? (all day). Forum member Whandsy reported back from a kitchen, recently about a raw & cooked base...raw being like the ones he makes &  their base which had been cooking for hours after blending, which tasted different..thats my next port of call

Regards
ELW

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 06:22 PM »
I have tried pretty much everything ever posted on this site, and various books (kris dyllon, ABC balti book) .  While base is important, a long simmer does not make that much difference.  For me the quest is finished. I gave it 110 percent of my energy for many years, and never really made enough new ground to justify wasting another 2 years on the futile quest.
    I will always be up for trying new things from time to time. And will always love knocking up a good curry.  But i dont for one minute expect to match my favourite local bir ta.
     In some ways i am glad they know how to cook alot better than  me, it makes going there exciting still. One of lifes pleasures, if you will.  Some things in life should remain a mystery ! 

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 06:42 PM »
I have tried pretty much everything ever posted on this site, and various books (kris dyllon, ABC balti book) .  While base is important, a long simmer does not make that much difference.  For me the quest is finished. I gave it 110 percent of my energy for many years, and never really made enough new ground to justify wasting another 2 years on the futile quest.
    I will always be up for trying new things from time to time. And will always love knocking up a good curry.  But i dont for one minute expect to match my favourite local bir ta.
     In some ways i am glad they know how to cook alot better than  me, it makes going there exciting still. One of lifes pleasures, if you will.  Some things in life should remain a mystery

I'm doing 1 more base for the time being & plan to cook it all day & use it the next. If that doesn't produce the flavour, then personally i'm concluding that "everything you need is on this site" may not be the case. KD1 stuff seems to be frowned upon, but I found the base no better or worse than any other i have tried. CA's base & Ceylon was very tasty, especially next day, ashoka bunjarra has mild hints at the taste, all of which not quite there...its clear to me me are all looking for the same thing
ELW

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 07:02 PM »
this site taught me enough to stop buying lots of ta's every night. but its not quite cracked the nut for many of us.  Still , i enjoy trying out new books and ideas from various cr0 members. I recently tried the authentic balti curry book . This book  is better than the kris dylon rubbish.  Its still fun, thats what counts  :)   

©2024 Curry Recipes