Author Topic: Chicken Madras Video Recipe - for lunch.  (Read 68687 times)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Madras Video Recipe - for lunch.
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2012, 01:34 PM »
Chewy, great video and the curry looks lush  :P You mention 'singeing' in your post but I don't see any 'singeing' in the video.It's only since the visit to Zaal by some of the guys that has brought about the importance of this 'singeing' and you did mention it some time ago but you don't seem to be cooking hot enough to create the 'singeing' what do you think Chewy ? I am only trying to establish when this 'singeing' takes place  :)
Hi emiin-j
There's definitely a flame underneath that pan emin-j,
Just a simple domestic gas hob on high. Cooking BIR at home.

The singeing all happens between 1.00min - 2.00min
So you've got -
1. Hot Veg oil
3. Ginger Garlic paste.
3. Tomato Puree Dilute
4. Mixed Powder
5. Chilli Powder
6. A splash of lemon juice,
7. A dash of Worcestershire sauce
8 A pinch of salt.
All added in quick succession, singeing and sizzling as you create the Tarka. (Turn the sound up ;D)

Don't quite understand how your not grasping this my friend, as it's a good example of the technique.

You may remember when i joined cR0 back in Jan 2011,
I posted this Restaurant technique in a pdf, that I had created for friends.
It was well received by you and other members at the time.

http://Bir-recipes.Org.Uk/CR0/ChewyTikka/Zeera-Restaurant-Madras.pdf

Hope this helps
cheers Chewy

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2012, 05:09 PM »
Chewy, great video and the curry looks lush  :P You mention 'singeing' in your post but I don't see any 'singeing' in the video.It's only since the visit to Zaal by some of the guys that has brought about the importance of this 'singeing' and you did mention it some time ago but you don't seem to be cooking hot enough to create the 'singeing' what do you think Chewy ? I am only trying to establish when this 'singeing' takes place  :)
Hi emiin-j
There's definitely a flame underneath that pan emin-j,
Just a simple domestic gas hob on high. Cooking BIR at home.

The singeing all happens between 1.00min - 2.00min
So you've got -
1. Hot Veg oil
3. Ginger Garlic paste.
3. Tomato Puree Dilute
4. Mixed Powder
5. Chilli Powder
6. A splash of lemon juice,
7. A dash of Worcestershire sauce
8 A pinch of salt.
All added in quick succession, singeing and sizzling as you create the Tarka. (Turn the sound up ;D)

Don't quite understand how your not grasping this my friend, as it's a good example of the technique.

You may remember when i joined cR0 back in Jan 2011,
I posted this Restaurant technique in a pdf, that I had created for friends.
It was well received by you and other members at the time.

http://Bir-recipes.Org.Uk/CR0/ChewyTikka/Zeera-Restaurant-Madras.pdf

Hope this helps
cheers Chewy
Don't know how i missed this :o.  Probably because i didn't hang around the madras section much i suppose ::)
After last Sunday, i don't think anybody can emphasis enough, again and again, how important it is to singe the spices.  Trouble is this doesn't come through when you watch a chef cooking a dish.  You just see a very high flame being used.  Unless someone tells you the purpose of it, it gets overlooked.  In all fairness CT, you did try and tell us but it kind of fell on deaf ears.  Start shouting it mate.  You must be feeling rather satisfied with yourself right now, and quite rightfully so ;)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2012, 06:34 PM »
OK thanks'Chewy  ;)It must be that my large ring burns much hotter than yours  :)
No way could I leave the frying pan and mixture on max for 60 seconds without burning a hole in the bottom of the pan  :o will turn my hearing aid up mate and have another look at the vid  ;)

Offline gary

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2012, 10:27 PM »
Made this again tonight.

Another success :)

My technique is a little different though: hot oil, then in with G&G (usually flambes here - whole pan goes up!) till starting to brown then Mix powder/chilli powder  till starting to brown, then in with dilute tom puree - then on with method as per video.

It's near definitive now for me, and close to becoming a 'off by heart' thing.

Thanks again Chewy.

Gary

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2012, 10:26 AM »
just made this again. brilliant
instead of the usual chicken, I cooked this with beef and onion meatballs....awesome :)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2012, 10:39 AM »
I mentioned on another thread that this has been my default Madras recipe for some time, and never fails to deliver. Follow Chewy's excellent instructions and you can't go wrong.

Here's the sauce I knocked up the other day, with the only slight tweak being the addition of extra chilli powder:

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2012, 10:49 AM »
That really does look "pukka" Salvador  :) great looking curry.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2012, 10:49 AM »
That does look wonderful - lovely colour!  :)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2012, 11:09 AM »
That does look wonderful - lovely colour!  :)

Thanks - but the star of the colour show is a 50-50 combo of Kashmiri and deggi mirch, which I find delivers good heat levels and great colour (in this case I used around a tablespoon of each, but each to their own taste).

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2012, 11:28 AM »
That looks the business SD.   Mmmm, i suppose depending on where you get it you could call it a madras.  In some areas it would be well into the phall category ;D.  Using those chilli powders in your curries guarantees a nice vibrant colour.  I used deghi mirch in one of my phall attemps when i got back from Fleet and it definitely was "red for danger"  ;D. I've made CT's excellent 3 hour base but i've yet to make the madras, not normally being my curry of choice.  Unfortunately for me, it does seem to be the "yardstick" everybody uses to measure the rate of success.  Maybe i'll do this one evening during the week with my Zaal base ::)

©2024 Curry Recipes