Author Topic: curry powder  (Read 15866 times)

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
curry powder
« on: February 21, 2012, 09:00 PM »
In my quest to make the perfect curry I brought the big 10kg bucket of Premium Rajah madras curry powder .  Firstly never going to use it all and second it doesnt fit in my spice cuboard  so if  anybody would like some I would be happy to give it away   

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: curry powder
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 09:26 PM »
That's a kind offer Michael. There is a theory that I can well believe that the 10 kg commercial tubs of curry powder are a superior mix compared to small pots and bags even from the same manufacturer.

Cheers,

Paul

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 09:31 PM »
Hi Michael

Very kind offer, and if you are giving it away then I think I'd be rude to refuse. ;)

Cheers
Martin

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 09:47 PM »
Can you post 500gms to Thailand?? kidding!

best, Rich

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 08:29 AM »
When I first started trying to cooking India food, as a gauche teenager, I naively thought that curry powder was, if not the only ingredient, then certainly by far the most important one, and I spent days trudging around all the Indian stores I could find, trying to find the "one true curry powder" that would help me re-create the BIR experience.   Needless to say, I completely failed.  Then I discovered "real" Indian cookery, threw all my curry powders away with contempt, and started trying to achieve Nirvana through the use of individual spices.  And again, my experiments were a complete and utter failure.  Finally St Dhillon published her "Curry Secret" book (amazing value at
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:21 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 08:48 AM »
Great to hear your tale Phil and especially gratifying that you've had a good result singeing the spices at the start of the dish. Curry on mate!  ;)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 08:50 AM »
To my mind the purpose of the mix powder is to establish the ratios of turmeric/coriander/cumin to a BIR approximation. Compared to traditional Indian recipes BIR food is very high in turmeric for better or worse.

The curry powder is present to add some fragrant notes to the mix powder, from all the ingredients except the turmeric/coriander/cumin. That's how I see it working.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:36 AM »
  So, when the Fleet 5 returned from their sally in Zaal, and reported that "singeing is the key", I made myself a curry using their (or Az's) technique, but my recipe : one unit Rajah Hot Madras Curry powder, one unit Kashmiri Mirch, one unit Degghi Mirch, one unit ground Cumin, half unit ground Fenugreek.  And on the second attempt, it was truly superb : BIR cuisine at its very best.  So, after nearly fifty years, I have come full circle.  Curry powder one again plays a pivotal role in my curries.  Mix powder never has, and probably never will.  Curry powder, for over forty years hated and despised, now once again sits proudly in my spice cupboard, alongside its more noble companions.  I have finally seen the light.

** Phil.

Good post Phil, and for your own part cracking this SOB curry lark, (Which I haven't managed....... YET)
Would like to try your recipe, Do you think that you could post it?

Les

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 10:46 AM »
Well done from me Phil ;) ;)

Wait for me to catch up everyone, I'm not quite there yet  :'( :'(

In the words of Roy Walker from catchphrase  "It's good but it's not right"

I need to singe further I think :-\ :-\

W

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 11:04 AM »
In my quest to make the perfect curry I brought the big 10kg bucket of Premium Rajah madras curry powder .  Firstly never going to use it all and second it doesnt fit in my spice cuboard  so if  anybody would like some I would be happy to give it away   

I'm in the middle of re-stocking my spices,I'd love to try some of this,don't mind paying some postage.

©2024 Curry Recipes