Author Topic: Chilli Chocolate Truffles  (Read 6769 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chilli Chocolate Truffles
« on: February 26, 2012, 08:17 AM »
These are absolute HEAVEN!!!!!! :)

Chilli Chocolate Truffles

Cooking time: 10 minutes + 1 hour freezing

Ingredients
500g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
200g chocolate (at least 40% cocoa solids)
1 tsp of chilli powder (I use Natco Extra Hot, but feel free to add as much or as little as you wish to suit your palate).
425ml double cream
30g butter
50g cocoa powder

Method
Grease a baking tin (approx. 30cm by 12cm) with a little vegetable oil and line with cling film.

Break the chocolate into smaller chunks to make it melt more easily.

Add the chilli to the cream, and heat with the double cream in a heavy-bottomed pan.  Add to the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl and stir in.  If you melt the chocolate with cream that is too hot, the chocolate will split, in which case you will need to stir a few tablespoons of cold cream into the melted chocolate.  If the chocolate does not melt completely, suspend the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water to warm the chocolate gently.

Stir in the butter.

Pour the mixture into the tin, ensuring it is flat and has filled the corners, and freeze for 1 hour.
Sieve half the cocoa powder into a large bowl.  Turn out the chocolate mixture onto a chopping board and cut into cubes.

Toss the cubes in the cocoa powder, sieving more over the truffles as you cut them, and transfer them to a plastic bag.

Store in the fridge or freezer.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chilli Chocolate Truffles
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 05:36 PM »
The missus already make fantastic truffles. we both love chilli. I can't find any chilli flavour chocolate in Paris....hmm  I think this'll be getting made soon.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 06:07 PM »
At it again, 976bar

You really should give the author some credit. or you may get cR0 in Trouble.

Recipes from Mexican Food Made Simple by Thomasina Miers ? Thomasina Miers 2010, published by Hodder & Stoughton
Photographer Claire Wilks ? Blink Films 2011

http://www.channel5.com/shows/mexican-food-made-simple/recipes/chilli-chocolate-truffles

Mick Crawford, CBM, says it all with his signature.
i.e. Using someone else's recipes and not acknowledging the fact, allowing members to believe it's your own work....is that right??

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 07:56 PM »
At it again, 976bar

You really should give the author some credit. or you may get cR0 in Trouble.

Recipes from Mexican Food Made Simple by Thomasina Miers ? Thomasina Miers 2010, published by Hodder & Stoughton
Photographer Claire Wilks ? Blink Films 2011

http://www.channel5.com/shows/mexican-food-made-simple/recipes/chilli-chocolate-truffles

Mick Crawford, CBM, says it all with his signature.
i.e. Using someone else's recipes and not acknowledging the fact, allowing members to believe it's your own work....is that right??

I never said they were my own Chewy....

But you are right, I should have included the author, and for that I apologise, I would not want to get this website into any trouble...

Sorry everyone :(

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 08:31 PM »
Thanks for the recipe 976 - made these today. Deeply delicious but so naughty... Will make me popular at work tomorrow when I take some in.  :)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 08:55 PM »
Made another batch of these at the weekend... They are just so gorgeous :)  I used Deggi mirch for a slightly milder chilli kick and it is less susceptible to clumping than my rajah chilli powder, so you don't end up with a sudden chilli rush where a clump of powder made it into a single truffle.

Does anyone know how long they can safely be kept in the fridge as last time I found the ones I froze suffered a little in terms of texture, so would prefer to keep them fresh this time.

Offline Old Trousers

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 11:39 AM »
These look really fab - will definitely give them a go soon.

Where I work there are regular markets in the nearby shopping precinct, and there have been several chocolate stalls in the past, most of which sold some variety of chilli chocolate. I have to say that (IMHO) chocolate is a case where less is more in chilli terms - I don't like being kicked in the teeth by it in chocolate, but really like it when you've pretty much finished the chocky then at the very end notice a bit of mild heat. Yum!

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 10:09 PM »
Made another batch of these at the weekend... They are just so gorgeous :)  I used Deggi mirch for a slightly milder chilli kick and it is less susceptible to clumping than my rajah chilli powder, so you don't end up with a sudden chilli rush where a clump of powder made it into a single truffle.

Does anyone know how long they can safely be kept in the fridge as last time I found the ones I froze suffered a little in terms of texture, so would prefer to keep them fresh this time.

I've still got some in the freezer from the first batch made in February and they are absolutely still fine, not stale at all :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 10:58 PM »
I have to admit, the idea of chilli in chocolate leaves me completely cold.  But I /do/ like chocolate ginger (which I make by coating crystalised ginger in dark cooking chocolate).  So ... I was thinking of trying this recipe, but substituting ground ginger for the ground chillies.  Would it work, do you think ?

** Phil.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 10:36 AM »
I have to admit, the idea of chilli in chocolate leaves me completely cold.  But I /do/ like chocolate ginger (which I make by coating crystalised ginger in dark cooking chocolate).  So ... I was thinking of trying this recipe, but substituting ground ginger for the ground chillies.  Would it work, do you think ?

** Phil.

I'm not sure about ground chilies, but it certainly works with chili powder, maybe worth a try though :)

©2024 Curry Recipes