Author Topic: Chilli Jam  (Read 2139 times)

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Chilli Jam
« on: February 28, 2012, 07:36 PM »
Hi

UB, here is the Jam I make.  Got it off net, bbc food I think.  Just enough heat but not too much!  Goes well with cheese and crackers.

CHILLI JAM

INGREDIENTS:
?   8 red peppers , deseeded and roughly chopped
?   10 jalapeno chillies , roughly chopped
?   6 Birds eye chillis, roughly chopped
?   2 Inch Piece fresh root ginger , peeled and roughly chopped
?   8 garlic cloves , peeled
?   400g can chopped tomatoes
?   500g golden caster sugar
?   250g Light Brown Sugar
?   250ml red wine vinegar

Directions:
1.   Tip the peppers, chillies (with seeds), ginger and garlic into a food processor, then whizz until very finely chopped. Scrape into a heavy-bottomed pan with the tomatoes, sugar and vinegar, then bring everything to the boil. Skim off any scum that comes to the surface, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for about 50 mins, stirring occasionally.
2.   Once the jam is becoming sticky, continue cooking for 10-15 mins more, stirring frequently so that it doesn't catch and burn. It should now look like thick, bubbling lava. Cool slightly, transfer to sterilised jars, then leave to cool completely. Keeps for 3 months in a cool, dark cupboard - refrigerate once opened.

Regards

Barry

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chilli Jam
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 09:06 PM »
Sounds yummy this thanks bamble, think i'll be giving it a go  ;)

W

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 09:32 PM »
This is a must for me here - will be throwing so chilies in a pan in a couple of days

thanks

best, Rich

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 03:07 PM »
Made a version of this today. I mostly stuck to the recipe, but, as I didn't sort my varied chilli crop before freezing it in a number of bags, I just grabbed a couple of handfuls from the freezer rather than counting out specific chillis.

It's just cooling now before I get it into sterilised, former Sharwoods Mango Chutney jars and, boy! it is hot, Hot HOT!

Tastes very nice, though and a good teaspoon of this stuff will certainly enliven a curry! Ring of Fire, here I come! :)

©2024 Curry Recipes