Author Topic: Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken) with Taz Base  (Read 24002 times)

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken) with Taz Base
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2018, 06:02 PM »
The ingredients are correct once logged in I find.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken) with Taz Base
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2018, 12:20 AM »
Looking great Frank.

The original recipe in this thread is def Tikka Masala, I made it to the letter and it tasted nothing like Butter Chicken. Will perhaps try some of the new ones on here !

Hi EuanW.
There are often very loose naming applications to Indian dishes and it sometimes blurs the lines, for me anyhow. If you go back to page 1 of this thread and look at the original video, the link is posted by Petrolhead360 about halfway down, you will notice in the video description that there is mention of Butter chicken (Tikka Masala), and in the video at the 3 minute mark one of the girls explains that Tikka Masala is a term that evolved in England for the dish called Murgh Makhani or Butter Chicken.  This would indicate that this British Indian family considers the dish to be one and the same.

Mridula Baljekar, however, has 2 recipes for Murgh Makhani and Murgh Tikka Makhani with the principal differences being the use of Tandoori Chicken Vs Tikka (bone in or out basically) and the inclusion of additional cream in the Tikka version. I recently prepared both of these together and there was a subtle difference but they are very similar dishes and without being side by side it would be difficult to name them as being one or the other, except for the bones obviously.  This is not always the case though as Butter Chicken does not have to be on the bone and in my experience, usually isn't. 

J & P Lardner's variation between the 2 dishes is that the CTM uses pre-cooked Tikka and a pre-made Masala Sauce, while the Butter Chicken is made from base ingredients.  The distinction between the 2 dishes in all events is minimal.

It would appear that is served as Butter Chicken in one place could well be served as CTM in another and visa versa.

©2024 Curry Recipes