Author Topic: Is oils separation in base gravy essential?  (Read 6343 times)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Is oils separation in base gravy essential?
« on: March 30, 2012, 08:12 AM »
G'day all

I was wondering whether oil separation makes a lot of difference in a base sauce. I have just made up my 3 rd batch of Chewy's base sauce. I followed the instructions religously, strained the sauce then put it back on the heat for a good hour. I lost over a litre in evaporation, but the oil still didn't separate.

The best I got was a foam on the top, not a "scum". Each time I have had the same result.

The sauce does make a fantastic curry, so I am not too worried, but I wondered what I was doing wrong ???

I think the only thing that I do use that is different is filtered water, as Perth's drinking water isn't the best, maybe that is why no scum appears.....i don't know. 

It would be nice to see all that oil on the top though!!

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Is oils separation in base gravy essential?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 08:16 AM »
Did you put much oil into the base Mick? You can see traces of oil in the froth on top, so it has separated. Maybe use more oil in the base if you want more oil to separate?

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 08:20 AM »
Did you put much oil into the base Mick? You can see traces of oil in the froth on top, so it has separated. Maybe use more oil in the base if you want more oil to separate?

Hi VC

I followed Chewys recipe to the letter. I.E. 200ml of oil.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 08:38 AM »
That last picture clearly shows a nice glossy sheen of oil on the top, Mick, so you've definitely got some separation going on there.

But losing over a litre in evaporation might suggest that you've got the heat too high for the final cooking stage. You're after a delicate 'tickover' simmer, rather than a vigorous simmer or bubbling boil. And keep the lid on. (This may differ from what Chewy and others do, but this is what I've found works for me.)

The mysteries of the base are many and various. Despite using the same ingredients, cooked in exactly the same way, in the same pan and using the same heat, no two bases seem to turn out exactly the same. It may be something to do with some bizarre planetary alignment, but I sometimes find that I don't initially get much separation after the second cook stage, but then I leave it off the heat for a few hours (again, with the lid on), and when I return, there it is.

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, as the saying goes, so if it makes a good curry I wouldn't worry about t too much.

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 08:46 AM »
It could be because I assume we are, presumably, all in Oz, and technically upside down; therefore the oil has risen to the bottom of the pan?

There's 450ML in the base I use, you get a bit of oil on the top, it could be that the base will only deliver that much up.

SD has a point, if you are getting that much evaporation the heat might be too high under the stockpot.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 08:49 AM »
That last picture clearly shows a nice glossy sheen of oil on the top, Mick, so you've definitely got some separation going on there.

But losing over a litre in evaporation might suggest that you've got the heat too high for the final cooking stage. You're after a delicate 'tickover' simmer, rather than a vigorous simmer or bubbling boil. And keep the lid on. (This may differ from what Chewy and others do, but this is what I've found works for me.)

The mysteries of the base are many and various. Despite using the same ingredients, cooked in exactly the same way, in the same pan and using the same heat, no two bases seem to turn out exactly the same. It may be something to do with some bizarre planetary alignment, but I sometimes find that I don't initially get much separation after the second cook stage, but then I leave it off the heat for a few hours (again, with the lid on), and when I return, there it is.

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, as the saying goes, so if it makes a good curry I wouldn't worry about t too much.

Thanks SD

I will try this next time.

I didn't want it to burn, which is why I was (more or less) constantly stirring it.

OK next time, low light, lid on and see what happens.  :)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 08:50 AM »
LOL. Cheers VC

Never thought being "Down Under" might be tricking the oil. ;D

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 08:55 AM »

Thanks SD

I will try this next time.

I didn't want it to burn, which is why I was (more or less) constantly stirring it.

OK next time, low light, lid on and see what happens.  :)

Ah... Yes, constantly stirring it would have the effect of returning the oil to the emulsion. If you get the heat as low as possible so it's just ticking over (and keep the lid on), it shouldn't burn, and you won't lose anything through evaporation.

I've yet to burn a base in this way.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 09:03 AM »
Gotcha SD.

I'll snap pictures next time.

Cheers

Mick

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 02:46 PM »
Hi Mick
Your photos look nearly there, that scum IS the oil forming.

The second part of my recipe=
To finish it off, you can do it two ways, but either way you have to thin it down with plenty of water.

1. Quick way is to bring it back to a rolling boil with a lid on, important that you give it a stir
every few minutes as the onion sediment gathers on the outer edge at the bottom of your pan
and can overcook. The trick is that the oil will separate and be carried up with the steam. If you
check inside your lid, after say 15 mins, there should be little droplets of oil stuck to it. How long you boil varies,
but once I get a scum forming and an red/brown oil slick around the outer edge of the pan, I turn it down to a simmer and then off.

2. The slow way, is to bring it to the boil then turn down to a low heat simmer, give it a stir
now and then, until you get the scum/oil. ( always keep a lid on until you get the oil)
It doesn't really matter if it doesn't release loads of oil, as once you've scooped most of the scum off,
you should give the pan a good stir and the oil will mix back in.

Cheers Chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes