Author Topic: 18hr Slow Cooker Curry Base, Double Concentrate  (Read 32991 times)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: 18hr Slow Cooker Curry Base, Double Concentrate
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 09:00 PM »
mmmmm, this has got me wondering if a BIR style curry could be cooked in the slow cooker?  Obviously, using all the ingredients that you would usually use normally?  Nah, can't see it, how would you release the oils out of the spices for a start?

Hi Ray,

I often cook BIR style curries in a slow cooker (for lamb, beef, etc).  Of course, it's not really a BIR style curry because it's slow cooked (and doesn't use precooked meat) but, otherwise, is exactly the same.  And it works a treat.

This really surprises me, but maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Are you saying you cook the same or very similar BIR recipes to the ones you've posted, but using a slow cooker? If so, wow, I'm surprised!  2 of what I would think are key stages (frying the spices & tomato mix and reducing the base sauce down to evaporate a large amount of the water content) just don't seem possible in a slow cooker. Surely the low heat output just won't get those spices, G&G, etc fried and base sauce will never reduce enough to give the right flavour and consistency?

But maybe you mean you cook a curry sauce in conventional way then transfer to the slow cooker to cook with the meat in a nice slow fashion. I know 976bar has also mentioned this is his approach.

By the way NJ, nice logical thinking to use it to make a curry base (though I still maintain that around 1 - 1.5 hours, on a conventional gas hob, is sufficient to achieve the same result, for such relatively small quantities of onions, etc)  8)

Thanks. One day I'd like to run a three way test with the same ingredients/recipe throughout but the first cook of the onions being in three different methods, ie. slow cook, hob boiled and pressure cooked. No other differences between the batches. That would be an interesting experiment!  :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:28 PM by natterjak »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2012, 02:52 AM »
But maybe you mean you cook a curry sauce in conventional way then transfer to the slow cooker to cook with the meat in a nice slow fashion. I know 976bar has also mentioned this is his approach.

Yes, that's what I mean, more or less. 

I cook everything in the "normal" way (and also sear/seal the meat when cooking the spices, etc).  I reduce the initial amounts of curry base.  Then add more.  Then transfer the lot to a slow cooker.

Hope that clarifies?

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2012, 11:26 AM »
guys why not go the whole way and just do the whole curry in the slow cooker with no base , but instead:

1) make a onion puree with garlic and ginger paste also
2) make a carrot puree
3) blend some  tomatoes to a paste
4) add all this to your slow cooker
5) add tom puree and lots of oil , and your prefered spices and also whole spices, salt etc
6) add water
7) add meat, garam masalla etc

then leave for 10 hours to cook, and remove whole spices.
the end result is a great curry with a restaurant style sauce. Its all to do with cooking the meat in the sauce. 

To be honest i am getting better results doing this style, although i do still make bir style curry for speed.
For a really tasty curry a slow cooker is your friend  :)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2012, 02:48 PM »
Topic: 18hr Slow Cooker Curry Base, Double Concentrate

I've tried NJ's alternative base method and it works fine, only real difference
for me is, it stews the onions, but that's just the nature of the pot.

It's basically similar to Ancient Indian Dumpukht
One pot cooking, especially if you sealed the lid with some flour dough. (go google)

CA's new simple onion only base recipe would suit this method very well.

This method will also give that acrid onion base aroma people were talking about.

again thanks for posting NJ
cheers Chewy

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2012, 03:07 PM »
Thanks for the feedback CT. This subject of how different methods / durations of cooking the onions affects the final flavour is of interest to me so interesting to hear about your result.

Offline Elmore123

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2012, 09:49 AM »
Natterjak,

My first question on this forum.  In the Frying stage, what is "mix powder"?  I hope this is not a dumb question.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2012, 11:07 AM »
Hi Elmore. Not a dumb question at all  :) mix powder is a mix of spices which is used in many (the vast majority) of restaurant recipes. It usually has turmeric, curry powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and a number of other spices and is pre-mixed at the restaurant then used a little at a time in each dish. You'll find a number of different recipes for mix powder in the following section of the forum:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=28.0

.... Each tends to have a slightly different ratio of spices but you could use any of these mix powders in a base sauce recipe. Hope you stick around the forum and pick up some good info and don't be afraid of asking questions  ;)

Offline Elmore123

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2012, 08:52 AM »
Thank you for that Natterjak.  My eyes are opening.

©2024 Curry Recipes