Author Topic: Vegetable Rhogan Josh  (Read 27202 times)

Offline currychris

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Vegetable Rhogan Josh
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2006, 08:16 PM »
The garlic quantity is high for sure, but at least it's healthy stuff!!

I have come to a conclusion that Garlic is used in vast quantities in most curry cooking and in greater proportions to what most recipes tell us to use. An asian friend tells me they use the term "bulbs" of garlic rather than "cloves" as they tend to break up the whole bulb and use it all in the average family meal. No wonder you can taste it for days afterwards!

Ray

I have eaten in various cafes/restaurans in Bradford over the years and I have always noticed the extra garlic taste within the curries - definately more so than in other areas I have eaten curries. I think that the garlic (and oil) quantities are a vital part of the restaurant style curry and certainly from the taste of the Bradford curries I have tried, the more garlic the better
...even though you do feel like a leper for the next day or three!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 08:18 PM by currychris »

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2006, 02:27 AM »
Nothing wrong with being a garlic leper....as long as you don't loose face .  ;D

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2006, 10:21 AM »
Yes garlic is predominant in most BIR cooking because it enhances the flavours of other ingredients.  You don't find such quantities of it used in traditional cooking though.  Cardamom pods (chewed) are good for the breath.  I also used to use those Chlorophyll breath freshener tablets (I don't think you can get them now) as they remove the garlic effects from the Alimentary canal and sweat also.  However, if you gook the Garlic the proper way you should not get such an after effect.

I was once asked to leave the Walker's Brewery site when I was a young and junior computer engineer in the 60s.  I had been experimenting with a particularly heavy Garlic based curry the night before!!!!  Very embarrassing.  I learned a good lesson that day, but those Chlorophyll tablets did the trick and I returned later........  :o  Wish I could remember their name.

Happy Cooking
C P

Offline currychris

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2006, 05:58 PM »
If you are using the amounts of garlic necessary to recreate a BIR curry then it is going to stay on you for a while, so it's a case of cutting right back on the garlic say, to one or two cloves, or being whiffy the day after...theres no contest I'm afraid! :P

Offline meggeth

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 12:54 AM »
Tried this tonight for my wife as she is veggie. I cut back somewhat on the spices and garlic as they seemed a bit too much, and it turned out fanstastic! I think adding the garlic tarka makes this dish. For the veg, I used pre-cooked potato and carrot, and also added some mushroom during the cooking. I can honestly say that it was better than virtually any rogon joshes I've had at restaurants or takeaways. And the wife agreed.

Only slight difference I made was that for the oil, I used only 3/4 veg oil, then 1/4 hot curry oil from Asda, plus 1 tsp of ghee. I used this methoid for a chicken korma a few days ago (only 1 tsp of curry oil though), and this turned out very, very good too. Maybe the curry oil adds something a little different to the cooking, I don't know. Anyway, really chuffed!!  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes