Author Topic: CBM Little India Red Masala Sauce  (Read 9497 times)

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
CBM Little India Red Masala Sauce
« on: May 08, 2012, 09:50 PM »
Hi All,
This is a video of Little India's Red Masala Sauce.
This is what the chef uses for his Tikka Masala dishes.

The effort and ingredients that go into this sauce are remarkable and not least a little surprising.
I certainly haven't seen a masala sauce/paste like it.
There are simpler ways of making a Red Masala Paste as we know but this is a bit special.

I hope you enjoy it.
Click on the link below.
Cheers,
Mick

Little India Red Masala Sauce/Paste

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CBM Little India Red Masala Sauce
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 10:14 PM »
Once again, thanks for taking the time and for sharing it with the forum Mick.  Did the chef blend this after it had finished cooking or did he just cook it until the ingredients had "melted"?

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 10:24 PM »
Great video CBM, very interesting ingredients. When the sauce is blended is that the sauce used for Chicken Tikka Masala dishes or is a base gravy added to it along with a mix powder etc.
All we need now is the recipe  ;)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 10:56 PM »
Very interesting indeed,these videos are superb CBM thanks for sharing.Some of the ingredients are certainly suprising(apple,pineapple,carrot???) as well as the use of akhini stock.Like the base recipe you kindly posted I wonder if it can be scaled down easily?  Would love to have a taste of their CTM to see if it has that old school flavour I remember that used to be served instead of the overly sweet/coconut stuff most places seem to do these days.The chef clearly does take his time in his core ingredients.

It did say at the end of the recipe that it's blended.You can actually watch the chef make a CTM as a video of it has already been posted here....

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=8196.0

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 11:08 PM »
Thanks Curryhell and Unclefrank,
and thanks JB for answering the two points  :)
Mick

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 11:29 PM »
Great video Mick
Hell of a recipe and quantity
You certainly captured a lot of footage in just one visit.
Good watch and thanks for sharing. ;)
cheers Chewy

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 01:52 AM »
Yet another great video Mick and, yet again, thanks for sharing  8)

Apples, pineapple, lychees, mango chutney....!  What, no cherries!?   :o  ;)

Once again, a few questions, if I may:

a)  How is this "masala sauce" used to make a curry (e.g. a Tikka Masala)?  Is a quantity added to a the curry base, or is it used as a base in it's own right?

b)  Is this the same chef that made the curry base?  I find it curious that he fries the onions, when making this "masala sauce", but boils them when making the curry base?  Is there a rationale for this that you know of?

c)  I suggest this is "new school" rather than "old school" BIR since commercial curry pastes (e.g. Patak) would not have been available prior to around 1990.  Does he (or you, or anyone else) know what BIRs before these commercial pastes were available?

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 09:03 AM »
Great video Mick
Hell of a recipe and quantity
You certainly captured a lot of footage in just one visit.
Good watch and thanks for sharing. ;)
cheers Chewy

Thanks Chewy,
That was on the second visit and another one to come on Monday hopefully. :)
Cheers,
Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 09:17 AM »
Yet another great video Mick and, yet again, thanks for sharing  8)

Apples, pineapple, lychees, mango chutney....!  What, no cherries!?   :o  ;)

Once again, a few questions, if I may:

a)  How is this "masala sauce" used to make a curry (e.g. a Tikka Masala)?  Is a quantity added to a the curry base, or is it used as a base in it's own right?

b)  Is this the same chef that made the curry base?  I find it curious that he fries the onions, when making this "masala sauce", but boils them when making the curry base?  Is there a rationale for this that you know of?

c)  I suggest this is "new school" rather than "old school" BIR since commercial curry pastes (e.g. Patak) would not have been available prior to around 1990.  Does he (or you, or anyone else) know what BIRs before these commercial pastes were available?

Hi CA,
As soon as I saw the fruit content of this sauce, my first thought was about previous comments on here. I also knew that you wouldn't miss it ;D

a) The chef adds 2 chefs spoons worth to the pan and then the usual stuff, base, coconut, almond powder, sugar, cream.
As can be seen in the Little India Part 1 video.
b) Sorry mate, I don't know.
c) I didn't get into any kitchens until these pastes were used so I don't know. Mix Powder and Tomato soup spring to mind ;)

Cheers,
Mick

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 10:23 AM »
I wonder if he uses this paste for dishes other than CTM? Maybe he uses it for his chef's 'special' dishes,like Az did at the Zaal with his Chicken roshney,or does the chef also make a non sweetened version as well without the sugar and coconut? I noticed he put these ingredients in the original sauce and then put some more in when he made a CTM...was this because the sauce also goes into other(non spicy) dishes??  I forgot about those cherries from a previous post!,maybe they're not as controversial as we thought!

©2024 Curry Recipes