Author Topic: Tesco Chillies!  (Read 4022 times)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Tesco Chillies!
« on: May 17, 2012, 08:26 AM »
Thought this was worth posting up.

Our local Tesco Extra is selling a variety of mature seedlings in 3-pot packs. There are various types of chilli peppers - scotch bonnet, cheyenne and apache - as well as tomato, aubergine and sweet capsicum peppers. They all seem to be priced around 1.50 GBP.

But a careful look at some of the prices show that many are reduced to 38p!

I grow my own chillies, but at 38p for 3 healthy plants, the opportunity was too good to miss. Well worth a look the next time you are in Tesco.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tesco Chillies!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 10:03 AM »
Thought this was worth posting up.

Our local Tesco Extra is selling a variety of mature seedlings in 3-pot packs. There are various types of chilli peppers - scotch bonnet, cheyenne and apache - as well as tomato, aubergine and sweet capsicum peppers. They all seem to be priced around 1.50 GBP.

But a careful look at some of the prices show that many are reduced to 38p!

I grow my own chillies, but at 38p for 3 healthy plants, the opportunity was too good to miss. Well worth a look the next time you are in Tesco.

Thanks for that Naga, I've got to go to Tesco today :)

Offline daddyL

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 10:34 PM »
I got all exited to get a bargain then realized my nearest Tesco Extra is a 30+mile round trip Bugger!! but for those of you who can get them local at 38p its a steal!

thanks naga! oh and you could post me some when they crop  ;D

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 07:23 AM »
I'm sad to report that the Tesco chillies haven't done so well in the outdoor grow-house.

This is largely due to the fluctuating temperatures and the lack of summer sun we've had up here in my not-so-sunny part of Scotland. Even my indoor chillies are producing a much-reduced harvest this year.

Plenty of green, leafy growth but little in the way of flowering. Even if some late flowers appear, it will be too late for them to produce fruit as the days shorten and the sunlight lessens further.

Still, there's a good chance that the plants will have hardened in this, their first year, so I'll overwinter them as I do with my indoor plants and see how they fare next year.

Offline Sam33

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 02:28 PM »
Sorry to hear that your chillies didn't take to your green house! I bought a part grown chilli plant and seems to be doing well on the windowsill! This is our first year growing chillis so any tips would be appreciated! Would really like this to work out as fresh chillis seem so expensive to buy in the shops and we only tend to use one now and again! However as I dont seem to be the most successful gardener we have bought a bag of cheap chilli powder in reserve!

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 02:47 PM »
Hi, Sam. Chillies like 3 things - light, heat and water. If you can keep your plant on an east/south-facing window and water it every day (without drowning it!), then you won't go far wrong. Depending on the type of chilli you're growing, you should end up with a healthy crop by the end of the summer and it should keep on producing fruit well into autumn.

The only thing I would say is not to let the plant become too leggy and straggly. You'll need to pinch out some of the growing tips to encourage bushy growth and, if you feel it's necessary, you can can give the plant some tomato feed every week once it's well-established and before it begins to fruit.

Good luck and here's hoping for a bumper crop! :)

©2024 Curry Recipes