Author Topic: Rick Stein's Lamb Korai  (Read 56938 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Rick Stein's Lamb Korai
« on: June 06, 2012, 12:41 PM »
Did you guys catch this on Saturday Kitchen this week? It looks semi-BIR but maybe a little 'posher'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jt2t0/Saturday_Kitchen_02_06_2012/

The Ingredients

250g (9oz) Ghee
3 tablespoons Fresh Coriander (chopped)
65g (2 1/2oz) Garlic
1 tablespoon Ground Turmeric
1 tablespoon Red Chilli Powder
350g (12oz) Fresh Spinach washed with large stalks removed
1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
4 medium sized Green Chillies with stalks removed
1 tablespoon Paprika
? tablespoon Garam Masala
550g (1 1/4lb) Onions Chopped
1 x 400g (140z) Can Chopped Toms
50g (2oz) Fresh Ginger, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon Salt
900g (2lb) Boneless leg or shoulder of Lamb (1? in) cubes
1 tablespoon Ground Coriander
120ml (4fl oz) water
A pinch of ground cumin and freshly ground black pepper to serve

How to Cook

1. Heat the ghee in a large, heavy based pan. Add the onions and cook over a medium heat, stirring now and then, for 20 minutes until they are soft and a light brown

2. Put the tomatoes, water, ginger and garlic into a liquidizer and blend until smooth. Remove the fried onions with a slotted spoon, add them to the paste and blend briefly until smooth.

3. Return the puree to the ghee left in the pan and add the lamb and salt. Simmer for 30 minutes, by which time the lamb will be half cooked and the sauce will be well reduced. Stir in the turmeric, chilli powder, cumin, paprika and ground coriander and continue to cook for 30-45 minutes for shoulder or 45-1 hour for leg, until the lamb is tender, adding a little water now and then if the sauce starts to stick.

4. Meanwhile, put 175g (6oz) of the spinach leaves into a large pan and cook until it has wilted down into the bottom of the pan. Cook for 1 minute, then transfer to the rinsed out liquidizer and blend to a smooth puree. Set aside. Rinse out the liquidiser again and add the green chillies and 2-3 tablespoons of water and blend until smooth. Set aside.

5. When the lamb is cooked, there should be a layer of ghee floating on the top of the curry. You can either skim it off or leave it there, whichever you prefer. Then stir in the spinach puree and the remaining spinach leaves and cook for 2 minutes.

6. Now taste the curry and add as much green chilli puree as you wish, according to how hot you like your curries . Simmer for 2 minutes more.

7. Stir in the fresh coriander and Garam Masala. Transfer the curry to a serving dish and sprinkle with a little more ground cumin and some freshly ground black pepper just before you take it to the table.
Serve with your choice of rice, Naan breads, poppadoms and whatever else you can cram in.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Rick Stein's Lamb Korai
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 01:05 PM »
I did and I was frantically trying to write down all the ingredients but never quite got there. Thanks for posting this Chris :)

It does look a good dish.....

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 01:20 PM »
Thanks for posting Chris ,

The bloody BBC don't allow me to play it because I'm in Slovakia .... will this torture never end !!   :)

I can't get SKY either ( don't start me on that !! ) ... It's a good job I've got curries to keep me out of mischief   ;) 

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 05:58 PM »
may have to give this one a go thanks.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 06:25 PM »
Can't see the video posted, but I've made this karahi a couple of times. It's from the Karachi restaurant in Bradford & is in the R Stein Coast to Coast book. I would use pre cooked lamb just to be sure it's cooked properly & definitely cut the amount of chilli. Very tasty though. Interested to hear from anyone who's tasted food from the Karachi.

ELW

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 01:29 PM »
I thought it was probably on here somewhere already but the search facility wound me up so I thought I'd post it anyway :)

I'm thinking of trying this at the weekend but using whole lamb shanks and slow cooking it for 6-8 hours.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 07:50 PM »
I would use pre cooked lamb just to be sure it's cooked properly

In my opinion, you'd risk losing a whole lot of the potential flavour from the lamb that way, i.e. lamb juices which flow out into the sauce.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 07:56 PM »
I would use pre cooked lamb just to be sure it's cooked properly

In my opinion, you'd risk losing a whole lot of the potential flavour from the lamb that way, i.e. lamb juices which flow out into the sauce.
You could add any pre cooking liquor to the curry afterwards. It's just that cooking lamb from fresh in a tomato & onion mixture with 3tbsp water for the recommended cooking times could end up with poor results & constant watering down of the mixture to ensure it cooks

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 08:51 PM »
I've been looking into the slow cooker method recently and just realised that when I make "Pulled Pork Sandwiches" which uses a shoulder of Pork in which I cut the majority of fat from then put in the slow cooker with only 3 tbsp of water and cook this out without lifting the lid for the entire 3-4 hour process, the meat is wonderfully tender and as the recipe title suggests, you just pull the pork apart with two forks.....

I'm thinking that lamb Tikka which has been marinated in a minimal marinade and other lamb dishes should be able to be cooked in the same manner with minimal water content and just the juices/sauce that were originally intended...

I went to Makro today and bought 5kg of Halal Chicken breast for

©2024 Curry Recipes