Author Topic: Uses for KASHMIRI MASALA  (Read 19083 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Uses for KASHMIRI MASALA
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 06:24 PM »
Oooer, I had totally missed this one, thanks for the heads up :)

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 08:39 PM »
I have a tried and tested recipe I will post in the next few days :)

regards

Barry

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 09:08 PM »
I have a tried and tested recipe I will post in the next few days :)

regards

Barry

Wooo hoooo yes please :)

Offline CardiffCurrylad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 03:42 PM »
Hi CCL
Kashmiri Masala is a very strong paste and can overpower the other flavours of a curry.

I wouldn't use it in a Madras, because Madras doesn't need these extra spices or the Kashmiri after taste.
But I would use it in a spicy Roghan Josh and Balti, or any Lamb or Beef curry where I want strong enhanced flavours.

I've never seen a Chef use this directly in a curry, but I have watched a sous chef
using a touch of it, to spice up a Tikka stir fry and Katti kebab.

On the other hand, I really enjoy inventing new curries using flavour enhancers,
especially from the boxed selection in the Asian Supermarkets.

Did you buy the boxed MANGAL brand Kashmiri Masala, as I use it and its stronger
than Pataks. I empty the pouch and mix the stiff paste with veg oil and store it in an airtight container.

I do the same with their Kheema Masala paste, as I think it will go off if you just leave it in the pouch.

cheers Chewytikka
Hi Chewy,
That's correct I bought the MANGAL brand, diluted it with a bit of hot water then added oil to it. It is now in the fridge :)

Offline CardiffCurrylad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 03:44 PM »
I recall that Razor uses Kashmiri masala paste in his excellent kebabs .. I don't know if it's the same stuff as you have though CCL    :)
Hi Colin,
Thanks for that, I shall add some next time I make the kebabs  :)

Offline CardiffCurrylad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 03:47 PM »
As well as Razors kebabs the Pataks kashmiri masala paste is used in cwg's onion bhaji
Thanks worth knowing  ;)

Offline CardiffCurrylad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 03:48 PM »
Here you go CC, try this :)

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3585.0
Thanks 976 will definitely give that one a go!  ;)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2018, 11:53 PM »
Another "very old thread" but the best place to post this.

What is the big mystery surrounding, and unavailability of, any form of Kashmiri Masala all about?  I can only find 2 online stores in Australia that show they have it (Mangal brand) but both display "difficulty posting to my address" when I try to proceed through the checkout, even though I live within the stated postal area.  This is for the Mangal brand packet only.  I have contacted both firms by email and await replies.  Pataks is simply not available at all and I can completely forget about finding Bassar.  The local Indian Grocer just stared blankly at me at first, then smiled and shook her head as she was speaking in another language to her husband on the phone.  I suspect he was at the wholesaler at the time.

Why does H4ppyleader's video about his home made paste say "the one you're not meant to know about"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3d21zsmM8E
Has anybody tried this paste for themselves and if so how is it?  How would it compare to Bassar Masala?

I have found 2 other pastes, supposedly Kashmiri but the ingredients list is nothing at all like you'd think it should be.  These are Deep and Boslt's brands.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 09:49 PM »
My 2 packets of Mangal Kashmiri Masala arrived end of last week and as I was away over the Easter weekend, I didn't really pay them much attention until yesterday. In my searching for the product I had noticed that internet pictures of the packaging showed some marketed as Masala and other as Masala Paste. The packets I was able to obtain were just Masala and I was informed that it is powdered Masala.

Upon examination yesterday I became curious with the advice on the box that shelf live can be extended by storing in a jar with oil. :o.  The external box has no Best by or Expiry date so I expected it might be on the internal foil envelope. Nope. There is no date anywhere, and this is when I noticed that the Masala is in fact a little  50 g blob of squishy paste, the consistency of Playdough. I'm very keen to try it out but I'm going to wait till next week. 

I missed it in the email I received from the managing director of the local spicery, where he asked for my address to post me a complimentary sample of his newly developed Kashmiri Masala / Bassar. I am going to wait for it to arrive next week and when it does I'll be doing 3 comparative preparations of Kashmiri Chicken Masala with all things equal except these 2 commercial Masala and also using my own Bassar creation.

This should prove to be an interesting and tasty day in the kitchen. ;D

littlechilie

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 07:54 AM »
Livo, Pasco do fantastic Kashmiri Masala. I don
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:50 AM by littlechilie »

©2024 Curry Recipes