Author Topic: Sous Vide chicken tikka  (Read 4350 times)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Sous Vide chicken tikka
« on: June 12, 2012, 06:09 PM »
Ho hum it's me again and my sous vide experiments.   ;)

Last night was chicken tikka. I used about 500 grams of chicken breasts (3 in total).
I copped out again and used Mr Huda for the tikka paste but next time I'll make up my own blade style mix.

First picture - the frozen chicken and marinade just been sealed:

Second picture close up of my Sous Vide Magic. Unfortunately the flash makes the numbers hard to read.
The top number is the actual temp, 57.2 degrees and the bottom number is the set temperature which was 61.0.

The temp dropped when I put the frozen chicken in the water bath but within about 20 minutes it was rock steady at 61.0 degrees. I cooked it like this for 3 hours to ensure the heat would penetrate right through.

Here is a close up of the chicken in the water bath:

The next picture show the chicken on skewers before going into a conventional oven:

The oven was about 200 degrees and the chicken was in for about 10 minutes.

Final picture on plate:

Verdict:

This was very nice and tender. I only used the Mr Huda paste as I've read all this stuff about garlic tasting weird after low temp cooking in a bag. Next time I'll use a "proper" marinade.
I must admit since I last bought Mr Huda the tikka marinade used to contain more food colouring.
My 6 year old son is presently enjoying the third of chicken we saved for him.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Sous Vide chicken tikka
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 06:30 PM »
This is gonna be my next toy
would you recommend one PP

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:27 PM »
This interesting thread continues Paul.  I'm still not been won over though.  Chicken tikka and chips :o :o >:( You should be ashamed unless of course that was the little one's ;D

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:52 PM »
This interesting thread continues Paul.  I'm still not been won over though.  Chicken tikka and chips :o :o >:( You should be ashamed unless of course that was the little one's ;D

I know I know (hangs head in shame),  ;D

I'm still at the experimenting stage CH so cut me some slack! That chicken sure was tender though  :)

Paul

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 08:04 PM »
This is gonna be my next toy
would you recommend one PP

Hi Michael,

There are basically 2 choices for the equipment. There are 2 ready built water bath ovens: The Sous Vide Supreme and The Sous Vide Demi. The first one holds about 10 litres of water and the second one about 8 litres.
I think John Lewis stock these from about

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 08:52 PM »
Thanks Paul
They say its to transform the demoestic kitchen
As you say the only downside is the size
I didnt think it could help my curries but then you think of a marinated leg of lamb  or chicken cooked in one then finished off in the tandoor :P say no more
cheers

©2024 Curry Recipes