Author Topic: Darth's Base  (Read 4562 times)

Offline bhuna-boy

• Chef
    • View Profile
Darth's Base
« on: April 21, 2006, 05:07 PM »
I eventually got round to making it ;D. First impressions of smell...Faaantastic. My oldest son , who doesn't know the hours I spend on this site, and unprompted, commented that it "smelt like a proper Indian restaurant"

I followed the recipe described almost to the letter! Except Morrisons sell packs of peppers cheaper than buying individually so mine had two green and one red. I also left out the chili powder. Everything else as stated by Darth.

For anyone else contemplating the 15 onion method you can JUST fit it into a 24ltr cook pot (If you have one) Saves splitting the oil, ingredients and spices between two pans which I think would defeat the object of volume cooking. (If that is the secret!)

When cooked and blended the consistency was that of tinned soup but after cooling, thickened to perfect ;) The colour however wasn't the Golden Yellow you described Darth How can I say... more like a babies nappy fill but hey the taste is great. We can't leave it alone. My son even had some with a slice of bread.

I am really excited at what this is going to make.

I have some images of the pre,during and blended sauce and have tried to post them but unfortunately can't. If anyone can tell me a step by step guide to resizing and posting I will put them in the pictures section.

Thanks for the inspiration Darth.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Darth's Base
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 11:08 PM »
You are absolutely bloody welcome matey I'm glad yours turned out as it did.
After several visits to my local i can say the base in my recipes IS right its just the second stage that needs a large tweak but they re-open soon i hope (still doing refurbishment  :().
So i will be moving on to trying to get second stage ingredients they are polite but very evasive at times,as soon as i start asking for info they glance at each other etc..etc.. you know the rest if you've gone into you local BIR with questions "where's the bottle marked the secret taste then "?

Offline bhuna-boy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 12:26 AM »
Thanks Darthphall and a big thank you John for the link to resizing. So here they are:

I've added an image of the last KD base I did just for a colour comparison. They are all true colour representations of what they are really like.
 You would not want to eat the KD base on its own not like Darth's one. If anyone is wondering what the two dark lumps are in the KD base they are black cardomom which I fished out prior to freezing.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 01:47 AM »
The first down to the third picture is just like mine.......... NICE !!!!!

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 05:24 AM »
Well done BB - the golden - red gravy reigns supreme ... it is one of the bases to utilize for BIR recipes - try the others on the site - compare ....please the palate and then decide which is most suited to your taste  .

CC

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 05:39 AM »
I continually use both Darth's  &  Pete's base as a standard and incorporate more traditional recipe spice blends to them in order enhance the flavor . I am never disappointed - the base is the building block on which all subsequent flavors are layered and enhanced . To the base sauce kings on this forum.....two thumbs up !!!

CC

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 10:51 PM »
I continually use both Darth's? &? Pete's base as a standard and incorporate more traditional recipe spice blends to them in
Have you found that Darth's base is better for certain curries, and Pete's is better for certain other curries?? Is that why you use both?? It would be great to have batches of 2, 3,?or even more different base sauces in the freezer, but there just isn't room.?

-Mary

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 01:58 AM »
Hi Mary -
I use both bases with all my curries but reclaim the oil when using Pete's version . I think that the quantity of the masala in that base gives the reclaimed oil little more bite .

CC

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 05:47 PM »
Thanks, CC.

©2024 Curry Recipes