Author Topic: Greek Souvlaki Politiko - Grilled lamb on Skewers with Tsatsiki  (Read 5677 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Another wonderful yet simple recipe from the Greek Restaurant where I used to work :)

Ingredients
1.5kg Leg of Lamb
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt, pepper, dried oregano
300g Greek yogurt
2 onions
2 green peppers
1 red pepper

Method
Wash the meat, remove from the bone and cut into 1 and a half to 2 inch pieces. Place in a bowl and add the yogurt and the minced garlic. Season with salt, pepper and oregano. Mix well and put in the fridge for 12 hours.

Cut the green peppers, red peppers and onions in 1 and half inch squares.

Put the meat, pepper and onion successively onto skewers. Bake, grill or BBQ until golden brown.

Serve with rice, Tsatsiki and salad.

For the Tsatsiki

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Greek Souvlaki Politiko - Grilled lamb on Skewers with Tsatsiki
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 05:20 PM »
976bar,

was planning to make another base but you're very right - we need to get back onto the other good stuff.

the souvlaki is something i love to make. i've never tried using the yogurt and obviously need to put things right.

for info my seasoning amounts for ~1kg: salt 0.5, black pepper 0.25 tsp, oregano 1 tbsp, oil 1 tbsp. i normally use pork but can imagine the lamb.

ps i've always been tempted to put lemon juice in - would appreciate your thoughts or is that a different recipe

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 05:41 PM »
976bar,

was planning to make another base but you're very right - we need to get back onto the other good stuff.

the souvlaki is something i love to make. i've never tried using the yogurt and obviously need to put things right.

for info my seasoning amounts for ~1kg: salt 0.5, black pepper 0.25 tsp, oregano 1 tbsp, oil 1 tbsp. i normally use pork but can imagine the lamb.

ps i've always been tempted to put lemon juice in - would appreciate your thoughts or is that a different recipe

Hi Jerry,

I've never measured the amount of salt, pepper and oregano, it's always been a dash of this or a dash of that hence why I didn't put any quantities down, but the quantities you have suggested seem about right given the quantity of meat.

The same with the lemon juice, I've never added it before, but I guess there is always a first time and next time I make this, I'll try half with and half without and see what comes out best.

As with all recipes, nothing is cast in stone and what will suit some palates may not excite others, so give them both a go and see which one you prefer :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 04:26 PM »
976bar,

many thanks for extra info. had chance today to get to market (price seems good at mo) and now have it on the go. i've used plain yogurt as i had to hand (ice cubed). i still think it needs lemon juice and will do same ie split it in 1/2.

another dilemma being that i've left out the salt. i now do this for tikka as per curry2go.

going to give it as long as i can wait for the marinade to work.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 04:38 PM »
I hope it all goes well Jerry,

A report this evening with some pictures would be nice :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 04:34 PM »
976bar,

not a lot to add other than have had to adopt my usual practice of covering with plastic bag to stop the garlic destroying the fridge.

i've used 90ml of yogurt and still have all in 1off bowl. i'm thinking of splitting on the day before using down to the lemon juice being quite acidic and potential to cook the meat rather than tenderise.

i'm aiming at least 3d marinade.

pic although not pretty

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 04:37 PM »
976bar,

not a lot to add other than have had to adopt my usual practice of covering with plastic bag to stop the garlic destroying the fridge.

i've used 90ml of yogurt and still have all in 1off bowl. i'm thinking of splitting on the day before using down to the lemon juice being quite acidic and potential to cook the meat rather than tenderise.

i'm aiming at least 3d marinade.

pic although not pretty

Can't wait to see the final result :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 06:20 PM »
976bar,

there's on big downside to using lamb - there's never enough. i bought 1kg and 3 people scoffed the lot.

we ended up with meal to suit all: new potato & veg along with pitta, red onion, tomato and chips. both worked well.

i'd forgotten about the fat on lamb and would trim before cooking in future and use skewers.

the lemon was needed. i also liked the yogurt effect too and adopt as standard going forward. marinated 4 days adding juice from 1/2 a lemon to 1/2 the batch on day 3. on next go am determined to marinade for 1 week and would add the lemon at the start.

i still like the pork - sort of feel lamb is best bbq as it is.

loved the recipe and back on the fav's list along with the piri (my fav). must try the greek yogurt too.

ps i just need a moussaka topping to complete my Greek set.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 07:15 PM »
976bar,

there's on big downside to using lamb - there's never enough. i bought 1kg and 3 people scoffed the lot.

we ended up with meal to suit all: new potato & veg along with pitta, red onion, tomato and chips. both worked well.

i'd forgotten about the fat on lamb and would trim before cooking in future and use skewers.

the lemon was needed. i also liked the yogurt effect too and adopt as standard going forward. marinated 4 days adding juice from 1/2 a lemon to 1/2 the batch on day 3. on next go am determined to marinade for 1 week and would add the lemon at the start.

i still like the pork - sort of feel lamb is best bbq as it is.

loved the recipe and back on the fav's list along with the piri (my fav). must try the greek yogurt too.

ps i just need a moussaka topping to complete my Greek set.

Hi Jerry,

I'm glad you liked it. Lemon is a personal preference and I will give it a try next time I make this.

I'll post the authentic Greek Mousaka soon :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 05:38 PM »
976bar,

many thanks on mousaka - i have very good recipe for the meat or ragu part. will be interesting to compare notes.

on the lamb have been giving some thought on way forward.

we make lamb very often using the slow roast (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5020.msg48161#msg48161). intend to use your marinade plus the lemon and then slow roast. i'm not sure if it will suit pitta's (the test for me) - only one way to find out. the family love the tenderness and absence of fat the slow roast brings.

if it was just me then i would use pork and bbq. lamb bbq just as it is.

©2024 Curry Recipes