Author Topic: Chicken Tikka Dhansak - For Southerner's :)  (Read 24387 times)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka Dhansak - For Southerner's :)
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 12:05 PM »
I would have a plate full Bob no problem, looks Yum.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 05:44 PM »
Interesting recipe 976bar and this difference regional difference in dhansak recipes is something which really interests me. I'm on a bit of a personal quest to recreate what I know as a dhansak, ie the dhansaks Ive been eating in the south east for the past 20 years.  So of course I was interested in your recipe and haven't yet tried it, but straightaway the colour is "wrong" (measured against my expectation of a dhansak) because it's red rather than yellow/brown. In common with every other dhansak recipe I've seen posted or videod you've included tomato pur

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 09:02 PM »
I would have a plate full Bob no problem, looks Yum.

I had a plate (actually, 2 now) and it is definitely all of that! It's a top class dish and well worth making to spec. :)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 09:14 AM »
Hi Bob,

My first ever curry, back in the mid 80's, was indeed a Dhansak.  Now, if I was to describe what I ate back then, I would say that it was mild, sweet with a little tang to it.  It really goes to show the regional differences of the good old Dhansak.

Even now, looking through my TA menu's, the descriptions vary quite a lot, ranging from, "a mild, sweet dish prepared with lentils, oriental spices with a touch of pineapple for extra sweetness"   to " A hot, smokey and sour dish, made with pungent spices and finished off with lentils to give the sauce a unique texture"

I would say the first description is what I relate to the Dhansak that I had back in the day because, as I explained to the waiter at the time, I'd never eaten a curry before and was worried about the heat.  Dhansak is what he suggested as a good introduction to my curry journey and he wasn't wrong.

With all that said Bob, it looks wonderful and yet again, you have now given me another recipe on my ever growing 'to do' list.

Ray :)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 09:47 AM »
...Even now, looking through my TA menu's...

I can hardly believe that it didn't occur to me to look at TA menu recipe descriptions for ideas!

As it turns out, I was a Dhansak virgin until earlier this month when I tried out CA's version followed by 976bar's, both of which were excellent offerings.

I shouldn't be surprised though as, out of 5 local TA menus, 2 don't describe the dish at all while the others are listed as: "cooked with lashings of lentils and eastern spices"; "a lentil based parsee dish"; and, "cooked with lentils".

It's hardly inspiring, is it? These descriptions don't exactly grab you by the throat and shout "EAT ME!".

Slightly off topic I know, but I have to say that, since I started cooking the various member recipes here, I've realised how mediocre the local trade cuisine is.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 10:51 AM by Naga »

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 10:07 AM »
Hi Bob,

My first ever curry, back in the mid 80's, was indeed a Dhansak.  Now, if I was to describe what I ate back then, I would say that it was mild, sweet with a little tang to it.  It really goes to show the regional differences of the good old Dhansak.

Even now, looking through my TA menu's, the descriptions vary quite a lot, ranging from, "a mild, sweet dish prepared with lentils, oriental spices with a touch of pineapple for extra sweetness"   to " A hot, smokey and sour dish, made with pungent spices and finished off with lentils to give the sauce a unique texture"

I would say the first description is what I relate to the Dhansak that I had back in the day because, as I explained to the waiter at the time, I'd never eaten a curry before and was worried about the heat.  Dhansak is what he suggested as a good introduction to my curry journey and he wasn't wrong.

With all that said Bob, it looks wonderful and yet again, you have now given me another recipe on my ever growing 'to do' list.

lol Ray,

My list also is nearly as long as my arm of all the different recipes I want to try, but I think it's all going to take a bit of a back burner now for a while as I start my Olympic cooking tomorrow at the Olympic Rowing Village in Egham.

I am excited and extremely nervous at the same time lol :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 10:09 AM »
Hi Bob,

lol Ray,

My list also is nearly as long as my arm of all the different recipes I want to try, but I think it's all going to take a bit of a back burner now for a while as I start my Olympic cooking tomorrow at the Olympic Rowing Village in Egham.

Hi Naga,

I have to agree with you there, I cannot find a decent Indian takeaway near me and now the only time I buy a takeaway is if I come home late from work and am too tired to make it myself :)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 11:13 AM »

lol Ray,

Good luck mate. Must be exciting and scary at the same time. Make sure you let us all know how it goes. 8)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 11:16 AM »
Well, being a Manc and used to having pineapple in a very mild lentilly sauce dhansak, I have to say that the pictures of the southerners dhansak look excellent.

I feel I MUST try this version and make a comparison. 8)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 12:59 PM »
I start my Olympic cooking tomorrow at the Olympic Rowing Village in Egham.

976 have a great time - looking forward to hearing of your experiences both culinary and not!

©2024 Curry Recipes