Author Topic: Chicken Jaflon vid  (Read 26800 times)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Jaflon vid
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 08:19 AM »
I've got to say this is fast becoming one of my favourite curries. The garam masala and tandoori masala just work so well with the flavour of Mr Naga and the resulting fresh, almost citrus flavours make for a very distinctive taste. Nice to have something a little bit different from the norm, but also spicy and tasty.  I'm finding it benefits from making the spoonful of Mr Naga a very heaped one, for that extra smokey, mustardy, naga kick :)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 08:21 AM »
Have tried several TAs and restaurants around Birmingham with naga dishes on the menu.  They seem quite popular. Most often it's a Chicken Naga Jalfrezi and described as very hot.  One restaurant does a Chicken or Meat Nagahwala, also really hot.  I've made a few myself adding about a tablespoon of Mr Naga.  Also found it good stuff to have as I'm relatively new to BIR cooking and when something goes wrong, a good dollop of Mr Naga saves the day.  A more subtle addition has also worked well.  Must have a go at making a Jaflon soon.  A few TAs say they make their own Naga pickle.  Seem to remember one of the video links in Mick Crawford's book where the chef stated that he made his own, although I could be wrong.  :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 05:58 PM »
i quite like this dish. i don't feel i made it as good as it's intended but i can see the potential and consequently it's a keeper for me for sure. once again a big thanks to curry2go and of course chef Nural.

i think the problem was that i put too much tandoori masala in and probably got too carried away with the methi for this particular dish.

i really liked the pre fried onion and red & green pepper slices.

it was all eaten so could not have been too bad. in fact on the night only the tikka masala was left.

read to go

top clockwise jaipuri, mogul, jafflong, kasmiri, tikka masala

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 06:11 PM »
Hi Jerry, what do you do with the oil you use to pre-fry your peppers and onions in?

I only ask as I used to slow fry onions and peppers and then use that oil (after straining out the veg) to start a curry.

What I found was that by slow frying a pepper and onion mix I ended up with a flavoured oil that was too strong to complement my curry. I found it really wasn't BIR at all so now I discard the oil used for frying onions/peppers.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 07:51 AM »
Fantastic looking curries Jerry ... I can taste 'em from here and it's driving me nuts at this time in the morning ... must get cooking  :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 10:42 AM »
Great pics Jerry, I could eat those for breakfast!

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2012, 11:07 AM »
PaulP,

i use 1 tbsp of reclaimed oil to very hot fry them in a wok (3.0kw is biggest on my hob, on full and wait till oil smokes before adding the sliced veg, then just stir fry for a few mins). there is no oil left - either absorbed or burnt off.

i then add pre fried veg to the mains dish just after the base as gone in. the aim to get them cooked but still firm. the pre fry does sort of 1/2 the cooking.

ps the par boilled chopped veg is almost cooked by the par boil but even so i add right at the start with the oil. par simmer being 10 min for onion and 2 mins for green pepper. the aim for melt in the mouth

Colin/Stephen - for sure the help this site has given has made a real difference to my curries

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 01:37 PM »
Those curry's look excellent JerryM  :P
With quality like that no wonder BIR's don't taste the same anymore  ;)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 06:16 PM »
I agree emin-j

That food looks top class Jerry  8)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 08:01 PM »
Just a note on quantities in this recipe... I never quite agreed with those shown in the captions on the video when I freeze framed it and compared. Well in any case, having now made this around 25-30 times I've arrived at the following proportions which work for me:

- one third of a level teaspoon salt
- one level tablespoon mixed powder
- one level teaspoon tandoori masala
- one level teaspoon garam masala
- one heaped teaspoon Mr Naga

It always seems like a lot of garam masala to add to one portion, but it works well in conjunction with the other flavours.

©2024 Curry Recipes