Author Topic: Chicken Jaflon vid  (Read 27069 times)

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Jaflon vid
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2013, 03:11 PM »
Had my first go at this last night and it was lovely. Definitely going to do it again.

And, shouldn't this be moved to the video section Mr Moderator

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2013, 03:32 PM »
In situations like that (spice sludge) I tend to add some base rather than extra oil...

Aye, I agree. I just didn't have sufficient base on the go at the time to cope with the amount of dry spices.

Here's last night's portion straight from fridge to microwave - maybe still not runny, but a bit more saucey! :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2013, 03:32 PM »
At 3:15 on the video the Chef leans over to the spices and takes a pinch of something and adds it to the dish, you can later see it resting on the spoon handle. Given the fact he's already added salt and looking at the grain on the spoon handle, i'm thinking it's likely a good pinch of sugar added. What do you reckon?

Naga, looks good to me, just the way i'd make it. :)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2013, 04:48 PM »
I also clocked the addition of a little sprinkle of something towards the end of the cooking and wondered what it could be.  Looking at the evidence Axe I think you're right.  That definitely is sugar on the spoon handle and we didn't see any being added during the initial stages.  And the ingredients on Nural's bench are only the standard culprits.  So a pinch of sugar :)
Interestingly, Chris you obviously like your dish to be saucy unlike the finished dish in the video which has no visible sauce as such that i can see.  Obviously this is reduces and clings to the ingredients.  Both your pics Naga appeal to me texture wise and look great.  I like my sauces  to be on the thicker side.  Am curious about this dish and like the inclusion of the Mr Naga but am concerned on the addition of GM. But i will give this one a go sometime soon as I know i'm going to like the onion/peppers/tomatoes combination with tandoori masala.  Should be vaguely in the area of my Elaich North Indian Special.
I may substitute Mr Naga with the Viceroy "Naga" sauce as it is hotter and in my opinion as good as Mr Naga but smoother in taste.  For those that like Mr Naga, it's definitely worth making yourself some of this :P

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2013, 09:14 PM »
It's got to either be salt or sugar.  Not sure which. If you read the video comments you'll see I did ask Julian and he said Garam Masala, but I'm not sure.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2013, 09:22 PM »
There's a few sly additions added in quite a few of these vids posted.  ;)
I love the Korma vid that Mick posted where the chef gets embarrassed when questioned as to what he tried to slip past him into the dish.
Butter ghee he says in a hushed voice.  ;D

And again on a Do Piaza video something is slipped in towards the end  ;)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2013, 11:18 PM »
Viceroy "Naga" sauce

What's that then?

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2013, 01:40 AM »
Viceroy "Naga" sauce

What's that then?
I can't believe this one slipped under your radar SS:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,11268.0.html

Definitely worth the effort IMHO

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2013, 10:38 AM »
I still have yet to cook this dish but last night, described it the dish at my local BIR and they produced a dish that looked just the same based on their dish called Chicken Tikka Plate (pronounced plat).  I think the only difference to their dish was ginger which they add and a lack of sweetness that may come from the added sugar (if that's what it was), but otherwise I feel it was very similar.

The dish I had I would describe as having a deep, dark, seductive aroma and taste, albeit with a hint of ginger and lime with the naga delivering a hot rounded sensation in the mouth. Does that compare to the Jaflon dish, without the ginger and lime of course?

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2013, 11:27 AM »
...The dish I had I would describe as having a deep, dark, seductive aroma and taste...with the naga delivering a hot rounded sensation in the mouth...

That about sums up my thoughts on the dish I made, Axe, and the naga left a lingering hot and pleasant sensation in the mouth to be savoured long after the plate was cleared. Really nice, and I'll definitely be making it again soon. :)

©2024 Curry Recipes