Author Topic: Chicken Jaflon vid  (Read 26966 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Jaflon vid
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2013, 11:40 AM »
Never having had Naga before it was a bit of a revelation to me. It certainly adds a lovely flavour to the dish and in controlled amounts, has an enjoyable heat too. I agree, this is a dish definitely worth enjoying again.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2013, 12:30 PM »
I can't believe this one slipped under your radar SS:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,11268.0.html

Definitely worth the effort IMHO

Thanks curryhell. That could be quite useful because I can't get Mr Naga where I am but I can get scotch bonnets. I assume it's a totally different taste experience to Mr Naga though?

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2013, 01:09 PM »
Yes, obviously due to the minimal spicing other than the panch phoran. However, in the absence of Mr N I don't think you'll be disappointed with the results  SS.  You could even tinker with it a bit and see  if you can come up with something close to Mr Naga.  All I know is that it's hotter, goes well on poppadums, is superb replacement for that s****e they offer to put on your donner kebab and it adds a little extra to a curry.  I always add it towards the end of the cooking process to avoid killing the heat.  Let me know how you find it.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2013, 01:28 PM »
SS, given the ingredients and the description from this qualified idiot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY5hGwo0AMI i'd hazzard a guess that adding the paprika and your regular mix powder would get you close to the mark. I might have to go track some Mr. Naga down later today.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2013, 03:32 PM »
I think the phrase "mixed spices" has more than a little to do with the distinctive flavour of Mr Naga. I always imagine I can taste mustard seed in there.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2013, 03:54 PM »
I'm wondering if the sprinkle added at 3:15 in the video could be MSG? As spotted by Axe you can see white grains on the spoon handle after it's added.

Before:

After:

At the start of the video three white ingredients can be seen on the left in the area to which the chef reaches. We know the lowest one is salt because it's added at the start. The next one up looks darker, almost pale beige compared to the white bowls either side... Is it MSG? Whatever is added it's only a smal sprinkle. 

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2013, 04:32 PM »
The beige ingredient you refer to is most likely ground almond Natterjak, MSG is white just like salt. I also think the 'light spinkling' is more like a good pinch, it's hard to pick it up due to the video quality, but given what's on the spoon handle and watching the chef add it, i'd say it's more likely to be a teaspoon measure if not more.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2013, 12:21 AM »
I fail to understand how is this dish different from a jalfrezi? what makes it standout as a "jafflon"?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2013, 10:53 AM »
I fail to understand how is this dish different from a jalfrezi? what makes it standout as a "jafflon"?

Tandoori masala, garam masala and naga paste.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2013, 11:35 AM »

Tandoori masala, garam masala and naga paste.

Interesting. It seems there is a thin line between the jafflon and the jalfrezi.

This video that mick recorded, shows the chef using their own garam masala (and at the end adding some chaat masala to, but I guess that's less common out there)
http://cbm-mick.blogspot.ie/2011/12/chicken-jalfrezi-chef-kash.html

©2024 Curry Recipes