Author Topic: Clive's "Blow Torched" Naan Bread recipe  (Read 26150 times)

Offline Clive77

• Chef
    • View Profile
Clive's "Blow Torched" Naan Bread recipe
« on: July 28, 2012, 09:08 PM »
Hi'ya...so here goes for my 1st post of a Naan bread recipe I'd like to share with you. It's not so much the recipe that's important but the method of cooking. The recipe for the dough is very simple but works for me and delivers a great naan that comes as close as I've ever got to BIR. You could of course refer to CA's recipe which is more elaborate and would no doubt add flavour although I haven't tried his yet (looks good though!). The key to success in this recipe is the use of one essential piece of apparatus...a chef's blow torch. Alternatively you can use the DIY paint stripping type but I don't find them as practical, mine keeps going out when tilted which really isn't ideal considering our use of it here. Just for the record, I actually thought I had invented this method but my pride was dashed when Stephen L told me he also uses a blow torch. No matter, I still discovered it all on my tod and that's good enough for my ego! Give it a go and I?m sure you?ll be impressed with the result?let me know how you get on.

Ingredients for approx 10 medium size Nann breads.

?   500g self-raising flour
?   Approx 1 glass of milk (or half milk ? half yoghurt)
?   1 egg
?   1 tbsp sugar
?   1 tbsp vegetable oil
?   1 tsp salt
?   0.5 tsp of yeast
?   Some melted butter or ghee for brushing (optional)

-   Sieve the flour into a large bowl
-   Add all the ingredients and then progressively mix in the milk (or milk/yoghurt) using your hands.
-    Mix and knead the dough adding milk until you obtain a smooth, quite soft consistency. The dough must not be too firm.
-   Remove the dough from the bowl and continue to knead on a lightly floured surface for a few moments more.
-   Clean the bowl and lightly grease the interior with a few drops of vegetable oil.
-   Place the ball of dough into the bowl then cover with a damp dish cloth.
-   Place in a warm atmosphere for 1 hour. My oven has a special setting for making dough rise, keeping it at a steady 40?. That?s the ideal temperature but just normal household temperature is sufficient, but then extend the resting time to 2-3 hours or so.

Cooking

-   Heat a large non stick pan or tava to a very high temperature preferably over a gas burner. (I?ve never tried on an electric cooker) The high temperature is very important at this stage.
-   Have your blow torch ready and ?slap? a naan into the pan.
-   After around 20 seconds or so the dough should begin to bubble in some areas (and not in others depending on heat distribution). Here?s the fun bit. Where the bubbling begins, start to blow torch that area using a circular motion, thus assisting and developing the bubbling. Ideally the entire naan should puff up (it?s magic when it happens!), but even if only part of it does you can consider it a success. Continue just a few moments longer, flaming the surface of the nann, concentrating on some areas more than others in order to obtain ?that? tandoor oven slightly burnt effect we?re aiming for. NB: Timing is of the essence and it is absolutely crucial to work fast so that the naan does not stay too long in the screaming hot pan. Too long, and your naan will be burnt or too firm on the under side.You?ll know when it?s right!
-   Serve immediately with or without a light brushing of butter/ghee on the upper side. (personally I like it natural without anything)

Note
-   Do Not flip the naan over in the pan or you will ruin the blistered bubbled effect which is so important to the final result.
-   The entire cooking process should not last more than 2 minutes max, maybe less, in order to preserve the light and fluffy, slightly doughy inside so typical of a BIR naan.
-   There is a knack to this method and there may be some misses before getting it right but once you have mastered it, you may well never want to do them in any other way. Please let me know how you get on and don?t hesitate to ask if I can be of any help.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Clive's "Blow Torched" Naan Bread recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 10:01 PM »
Clive - formidable!

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 07:05 AM »
Thanks for posting Clive since I'm awful at naans although I enjoy eating them tremendously .. may I ask which type of yeast you use please IE. fresh or dried ... thanks !!!

I can't wait to give these a go    :)

Offline Clive77

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 09:55 AM »
Thanks for posting Clive since I'm awful at naans although I enjoy eating them tremendously .. may I ask which type of yeast you use please IE. fresh or dried ... thanks !!!

I can't wait to give these a go    :)
In a word I use dried. I have very little experience with yeast and to be honest know very little about the stuff. I've only ever used 2 types that you find in France. One is what they call 'chemical yeast', a very fine white powder that comes in a little sachet. The other is what I believe to be natural yeast as it's a beige coloured slightly granulated powder that also comes in a little sachet. Neither need any soaking or preparation of any kind, just sling it in with the dry ingredients then add liquid. If you do try with fresh yeast let me know what the result is.

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 10:34 AM »
I actually had the same idea but never followed through with it. Thanks for trying it out and posting it here. However, I feel that this post really needs a screenshot (at least, if not a video).

Online Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 10:43 AM »
I actually had the same idea but never followed through with it. Thanks for trying it out and posting it here. However, I feel that this post really needs a screenshot (at least, if not a video).

Ditto - any chance of a photo/video Clive?

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 06:24 PM »

Ditto - any chance of a photo/video Clive?

;)

My local lidl shop has cooks blowtorches in at the moment, please give me an excuse to buy one :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 06:37 PM »
My local lidl shop has cooks blowtorches in at the moment, please give me an excuse to buy one :)
With great pleasure : creme brulee.
** Phil.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 08:02 PM »

;D ;D ;D
My local ALDI has Heat Guns on offer @ 10 quid.
Bought one today, when I finish stripping the paint, I'll try fluffing a Naan or three. ;D

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 08:15 PM »

;D ;D ;D
My local ALDI has Heat Guns on offer @ 10 quid.
Bought one today, when I finish stripping the paint, I'll try fluffing a Naan or three. ;D

Electric heat guns are rather different to blow torches. They may work, too, but the real flames coming out of a gas fuelled, DIY or chef's blow lamp seems closer to the effect of flames licking up to hit the naans, in a large tandoor.

©2024 Curry Recipes