Author Topic: Clive's "Blow Torched" Naan Bread recipe  (Read 26151 times)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Clive's "Blow Torched" Naan Bread recipe
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 08:23 PM »
I did this tonight using half quantities as an experiment.

Having already scoffed half the naan, this is the remaining half shown brushed with garlic butter on a 23cm/9 inch plate. It's not exactly the naan I would expect from a T/A or restaurant, but it wasn't half bad for a first attempt at home and it's a lot better than any naan I've made before, i.e. none!

I'm not sure about the number of naans that the full recipe is said to produce as I used half of my dough to produce the naan in the photo. Based on my experience, the stated recipe would only produce 4 naans, not 10 (or so), but I'm definitely not complaining! The recipe produced a decent bread that I will make again and again.

Nice one, Clive! :)

Offline Clive77

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 11:05 PM »
I did this tonight using half quantities as an experiment.

Having already scoffed half the naan, this is the remaining half shown brushed with garlic butter on a 23cm/9 inch plate. It's not exactly the naan I would expect from a T/A or restaurant, but it wasn't half bad for a first attempt at home and it's a lot better than any naan I've made before, i.e. none!

I'm not sure about the number of naans that the full recipe is said to produce as I used half of my dough to produce the naan in the photo. Based on my experience, the stated recipe would only produce 4 naans, not 10 (or so), but I'm definitely not complaining! The recipe produced a decent bread that I will make again and again.

Nice one, Clive! :)

Hi Naga...Now there's a coincidence! Funnily enough I too made some tonight with half quantities just like yourself but to go along with a Morocan style chicken (yeah I know, infidel...no comments please!) as we were only 3 for dinner. I think the only explanation for the discordance concerning the amount of naans is a question of personal interpretation. What I mean is, is "how long is a piece of string" if you see what I mean. Judging from your photo, what I call a medium size naan is probably a small naan for you. When I read your post I went straight to the fridge to see how much dough I had left. I have enough for 2 more and have done 3 which equals 5, on half quantities, so for me I'm smack on the nail. I guess at the end of the day what's important is that you enjoyed the naan that YOU made. As I said, it's the closest I've ever got to a BIR, but no, it'll never replace a genuine Tandoor cooked naan. I will take a photo of mine though as I have the impression it differs a little to the result you obtained. It may be the garlic butter that gives that impression as I don't add anything. As for those who suggest a video I'll have to work on that as I've never posted a vid in my life. But photos should be simpler, let you know. But anyway, thanks for your interest, it's very encouraging.

Offline Clive77

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 11:14 PM »
I actually had the same idea but never followed through with it. Thanks for trying it out and posting it here. However, I feel that this post really needs a screenshot (at least, if not a video).

Ditto - any chance of a photo/video Clive?

;)

My local lidl shop has cooks blowtorches in at the moment, please give me an excuse to buy one :)

Got some dough on the go, I'll take a pic tomorrow! (I'm a poet at didn't know it!!) :P

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 11:27 PM »
Hi'ya...so here goes for my 1st post of a Naan bread recipe I'd like to share with you.

Clive - thank you for this interesting-looking recipe and cooking idea. I thought it looked full of potential and I must try it for myself. However, the appearance of Naga's naan doesn't correspond with any naan I've had in a BIR so my optimism has been knocked back a bit. The taste of naans I've made before has been fine. It's the BIR look I'm after. Do yours come out looking like a BIR naan bread?

Offline Clive77

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 11:55 AM »
I actually had the same idea but never followed through with it. Thanks for trying it out and posting it here. However, I feel that this post really needs a screenshot (at least, if not a video).

;)

My local lidl shop has cooks blowtorches in at the moment, please give me an excuse to buy one :)

Got some dough on the go, I'll take a pic tomorrow! (I'm a poet at didn't know it!!) :P
Right, you got me thinking when the paint stripping heat gun was mentioned so I got mine out and decided to do a comparison test, Blow torch VS Thermal paint stripper set at max temp 650 deg:
The result between the 2 is very different. With the heat gun the bread developped a good colour but puffed up completely, so much so that it turned into a pitta bread with both sides seperated like a pouch (see photo). It wasn't a complete waste of time as at least I now know how to make those, and certainly better than Sainsbury's! However that's not what we're here for. The blow torch delivers a far better result in my opinion, but no, as George pointed out, not necessarily BIR, but as I said, as close as I've got. With the blow torch the bread doesn't completely puff up and shouldn't, only partially. The surface colour is more or less what I was aiming for and the bread remains whole apart from the bubbled areas, but that's the whole idea. As pictures speak louder than words and to honour your requests, here are some photos taken in order to visualise the results. One last thing I should add is that the thickness of the naan seems to play a vital role in the final result. It shouldn't be too thin or it's back to the pitta syndrome, too thick and it'll be stodgy. After analysing this point I think the ideal thickness lies more around 3mm than 2mm...yes it does make a difference! This is what I mean when I said that there is a knack to getting it right and success is not always guaranteed but when you do get it right I think it's well worth the bother.

Offline Clive77

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 11:57 AM »

;)

Right, you got me thinking when the paint stripping heat gun was mentioned so I got mine out and decided to do a comparison test, Blow torch VS Thermal paint stripper set at max temp 650 deg:
The result between the 2 is very different. With the heat gun the bread developped a good colour but puffed up completely, so much so that it turned into a pitta bread with both sides seperated like a pouch (see photo). It wasn't a complete waste of time as at least I now know how to make those, and certainly better than Sainsbury's! However that's not what we're here for. The blow torch delivers a far better result in my opinion, but no, as George pointed out, not necessarily BIR, but as I said, as close as I've got. With the blow torch the bread doesn't completely puff up and shouldn't, only partially. The surface colour is more or less what I was aiming for and the bread remains whole apart from the bubbled areas, but that's the whole idea. As pictures speak louder than words and to honour your requests, here are some photos taken in order to visualise the results. One last thing I should add is that the thickness of the naan seems to play a vital role in the final result. It shouldn't be too thin or it's back to the pitta syndrome, too thick and it'll be stodgy. After analysing this point I think the ideal thickness lies more around 3mm than 2mm...yes it does make a difference! This is what I mean when I said that there is a knack to getting it right and success is not always guaranteed but when you do get it right I think it's well worth the bother.

I can't seem to post the photos! It tells me the upload file is full. I have 4 pics and it won't even take one. Can someone tell me what to do.

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 12:38 PM »
Have a look here Clive

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3978.0

I think that's how you are supposed to do it now. :-\

Martin

Offline Clive77

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 01:32 PM »
Have a look here Clive

Martin
Thx Martinvic...
I've followed the instructions but I'm not convinced of the result. So here goes for a try with 1 pic.

Offline Clive77

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 01:40 PM »
Have a look here Clive

Martin
Thx Martinvic...
I've followed the instructions but I'm not convinced of the result. So here goes for a try with 1 pic.

Yeah well, pretty much as I expected. I know I'm not much of a computer wizz kid but I can't say CRO this upload system is very intuitive. At the top of the upload page I got this message:
 Warning: md5_file() [function.md5-file]: Filename cannot be empty in /home/wwwcurr/public_html/imagehost/index.php on line 35
But then it says Upload successfull. I copied what I think is the "BB" code and pasted it into my post. What am I doing wrong...any ideas anyone?

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 04:58 PM »
Upload a Curry Image:  (must not be bigger than 1024 KB)
Click on 'Choose', and find the stored image file on your computer, select it and click on 'Open'
Then Click on 'Upload'
Upload Succesful!
Embed on bulletin boards - Copy that line
and paste it into your message on here

Test

Works for me, and I haven't tried it before.

Martin

©2024 Curry Recipes