Author Topic: Restaurant/Takeaway style chips  (Read 25789 times)

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Restaurant/Takeaway style chips
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 10:38 AM »
While not exactly a recipe for "chips", I personally learned a lot from this really elaborate article about french fries:
http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/05/the-burger-lab-how-to-make-perfect-mcdonalds-style-french-fries.html
There's a recipe link included underneath the top image, but I think that reading the article might provide a few "aha" moments for anyone interested in frying potatoes.

Offline daveeb

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 10:55 PM »
Being a bit "Anal" as Iam when it comes to copying fast food (I make F&Bennys style pizza/garlic bread, authentic egg fried rice, very near doner kebab meat, McD`s hamburgers and kfc fillet burgers not to mention wasting most of my adult life away perfecting chicken madras and keema pilau) I will be investigating the indian style chip to the max...

However, this last post by stonecut was excellent - maybe not for my indian chips but defo for fries

If anyone has any more "secret" recipe givaways please feel free to share as Im always trying to copy something!

Offline failsafe

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 06:33 PM »

What, not even any opium dens ?  I am devastated.  All these years avidly devouring Sax Rohmer wasted.  How could they ruin the neighbourhood so ?!

try poppy seeds as a mix  ;D
failsafe

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 06:47 PM »
try poppy seeds as a mix  ;D

I just hope I am never raided by the boys in blue : my store cupboard has /far/ more poppy seeds than any reasonable home baker could ever need ...

** Phil.

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 07:35 PM »
I normally double fry my chips, putting them in the fridge between fries for a minimum of 30 mins.  I heard they are good for 1 or 2 days in the fridge before the second fry.

If I followed, how should I store the chips in the fridge?  Sealed container?  Covered in a liquid?

Can't find any answers by googling.

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 11:06 AM »
I follow the technique outlined in the "A Hamburger Today" post I linked to earlier in this thread and get excellent results.

Basically, the whole post just duplicates a process a company that makes french fries called "Simplot" apparently patented (to the best of my knowledge):
1. Cook the pre-cut and thoroughly washed (remove all starch you can) french fries in water for about 10 minutes (or until thoroughly cooked). By adding just a tad of vinegar to the water (see recipe from that article), the french fries will get sort of a skin which will prevent them from going mushy. This the first key.
2. Let these cooked potatoes cool and dry on a wire rack (gets rid of all the water)
3. Do an initial first fry of the french fries. For the really skinny McDonald's style french fries that's about 50-60 seconds at 200

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 09:20 AM »
Tried the heston method but it didn't work too well.  His boiling method states that they are cooked until nearly falling apart.  I did use vinegar like you suggested though. Consequently they seemed to be overcooked after the frying stages.  They tasted oily as well but perhaps I didn't let them dry on kitchen towel long enough.

I'll try your method next time.

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 04:21 PM »
Stumbled upon this link so I'll give this method a go tonight.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/may/20/how-to-fry-perfect-chips

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 09:40 PM »
in Newcastle we get chunky chipped potatoes a lot of the time which are obviously roasted and go quite sweet.

could be worth a try...

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 12:07 AM »
So I take it this means you can make your own frozen chips? Can they be kept for 6 weeks and still taste ok I wonder.
I may have to give this a go at some point.

©2024 Curry Recipes