Author Topic: Restaurant/Takeaway style chips  (Read 25758 times)

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Restaurant/Takeaway style chips
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 09:27 AM »
Stumbled upon this link so I'll give this method a go tonight.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/may/20/how-to-fry-perfect-chips

Turned out extremely nice; my favourite method thus far.  Highly recommend.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 11:33 AM »
So many different recipes and techniques for the "perfect" chip! Personally I think you can't beat Maris pipers, skin on, prick with a fork, microwave for 7 or 8 mins (based on 400g of potato). Leave to Cool for 2 mins then slice into thick chips or wedges. Deep fry at 190 for 60 secs. Season with salt and vinegar. Cool and freeze. Deep fry from frozen at 190 C for 3 mins.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 12:16 PM »
How would you recommend varying this if you wanted to eat the chips straight away and not cook from frozen, NJ ?
** Phil.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 12:46 PM »
Then you would omit the freezing stage Phil. You probably could've guessed that one.

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 12:51 PM »
Then you would omit the freezing stage Phil. You probably could've guessed that one.
:) :D ;D ;)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 01:31 PM »

Yes, I would omit the freezing stage.  But if I were to do that, for how long and at what temperature should I then cook the chips ?  Your recipe states "Deep fry from frozen at 190 C for 3 mins.".  If I do not intend to freeze them, then having performed your mandatory " Deep fry at 190 for 60 secs.", for how much longer should I then fry them (and at what temperature) if I want to eat them straight away ?

** Phil.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2013, 01:46 PM »
I would try 4 mins at 190 C but as ever in cooking, the chef should use his own judgement. When microwaving potatoes always keep them covered with cling film by the way, to help preserve moisture and guard against unwanted explosions should the pricking stage not have been completed thoroughly enough.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2013, 01:52 PM »
I would try 4 mins at 190 C but as ever in cooking, the chef should use his own judgement. When microwaving potatoes always keep them covered with cling film by the way, to help preserve moisture and guard against unwanted explosions should the pricking stage not have been completed thoroughly enough.

OK, thank you.  My gut instinct tells me 4 minutes continuous at 190oC may be too long, given that your "from frozen" recipe is only 4 minutes in total, 3 of which are "from frozen", so I shall err on the side of safety and test every 30 seconds from 2 minutes onwards.  As regards the clingfilm, I was planning to microwave in a Pyrex(R) casserole with lid, so with any luck the lid will suffice to contain any unwanted explosions.

** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2013, 02:13 PM »
I'm amazed at the lengths some of you will try to get the perfect chip. ::)

The most important part is getting the right spud in the first place. It has to have the right hydration percentage which is around 29% I am told by a customer who owns a chain of chippies.

He did mention several types of potato among which was the the most popular choice for chippies up and down the country, the Victoria.

He simply blanches the chips in dripping at 157c for a few minutes, this is done in several baskets so by the time they come to the final cook, they are cold. The final fry is done at 203c for a few minutes or until the chip is perfectly crisp.

They turn out crisp, with a light and fluffy flesh and very little trace of any oil.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 04:25 PM by Axe »

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2013, 02:30 PM »
I DO miss chips cooked in beef dripping! You can still find a few places in Ireland and Yorkshire and Scotland but theyre becoming increasingly rare. I can usually sniff em out though. Nose in the air, feet floating 6" off the ground to the source of that delicious smell.  ;D Oh wait, thats Yogi bear not me.  :P

I remember Metcalfs in Wimbledon. It was the last chippy to use dripping AND newspaper in the area. Always had a queue around the corner. Portions were never great, but NOTHING could rival the flavour!

There was a small chain called Superfish who re-introduced dripping, but not sure if  they're still around or whether they continued to cook with beef dripping.
Harry Ramsdens still do i think?

Best chippy i found in Ireland was in Tramore. Incredible flavour!
Another for great value is Dukes in Hull. Tiny little place which only opens for a few hours each evening.

Yep, Cant beat chips cooked in Drippin.

Frank.  :)

Edit: Just googled Superfish and they're still going strong in and around surrey and they still fry in beef dripping. well, well well.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 03:39 PM by DalPuri »

©2024 Curry Recipes