Author Topic: Naan breads nearly there!!!  (Read 7538 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Naan breads nearly there!!!
« on: August 07, 2012, 06:10 PM »
In anticipation of this weekend's curry feast I thought I'd have another go at cooking naan breads in my tandoori oven.These tandoori chefs make it look so easy but I guess practice makes perfect.Too low in the oven and they burn and are like scones and too high and they end up too dough-like.I've watched countless videos and studied various recipes but I found this one here and I've finally cracked it(almost!!) I only lost one in the bottom of the oven and the more I made the better they were.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1870.0

The ingredients themselves are nothing new but the method of leaving it overnight in the fridge and again leaving it to rest before cooking certainly works for me.Just wondering the best way to reheat them??? They are obviously best straight out of the oven but I don't really want to be mucking about cooking them on the night.

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Naan breads nearly there!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 06:51 PM »
I generally freeze my extra naan's and find that in the toaster or under a grill for 1.5 - 2 mins from frozen and they are not bad.

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 10:21 PM »
I think your right jB
I made some this weekend and cooked a few but the ones I cooked the following day after being in the fridge I found were better
key points for me are to sieve the flour making sure not too dry
Knead for 10 min then rest for 45min then knead for 5min divide into balls then rest again

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 10:46 PM »
Well, they're certainly looking the business jb ;).  As with everything, practice does make perfect.  As for reheating 30 seconds on full in the micro does a very good job :D

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 09:20 AM »
Is ot just me or are the edges of the naan cooking faster than the centre.  you usually get the crispy bubbles in the middle of the naan with less charring at the edges?? 

What temp is your tandoor in the middle?

Regards

barry

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 11:29 AM »
Is ot just me or are the edges of the naan cooking faster than the centre.  you usually get the crispy bubbles in the middle of the naan with less charring at the edges?? 

What temp is your tandoor in the middle?

Regards

barry

I have no idea of the temperature,bloomin' hot.I should have waited a bit longer as the oven did get even hotter but I was getting impatient! Maybe next time I'll wait and they'll bubble up more.

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 09:11 PM »
I seem to remember reading that the restaurant tandoor reaches 500 celsius :o.  I think the closer you get to this, the easier it would be to crack it.  it takes one more variable out of the equation :)

regards

barry

Offline Wickerman

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 12:54 AM »
Yes.
Same as curry hell-30 seconds in the microwave warms them through.
Because i make my bread well in advance,they tend to dry out and become a bit hard,but reheated in the microwave oven gives them that slight sogginess i prefer.
(I had to check to see if sogginess was an actually word.It is) ;D

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 10:46 AM »
great post jb
i find naans  hard to get right.
yours look excellent.
just one observation, the inside of your tandoor looks very sooty.
i find firelighters are the main culprit. I give mine a quick wipe with a damp cloth.
have you experimented with using the lid (briefly) while cooking the naans?
regards
mick

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 08:54 PM »
great post jb
i find naans  hard to get right.
yours look excellent.
just one observation, the inside of your tandoor looks very sooty.
i find firelighters are the main culprit. I give mine a quick wipe with a damp cloth.
have you experimented with using the lid (briefly) while cooking the naans?
regards
mick

Thanks mate,I do actually cook the naans with the lid on,I only took it off for the photos.

I'm glad you mentioned the soot,that was another question I was going to ask.So you think firelighters are the culprit? I did wipe the inside of the tandoor before I slapped the naans on but the thing is so damn hot.I'm not sure how I can get the oven going without using firelighters,I did spot some charcoal recently that was encased in it's own bag that you simply light,any thoughts?

©2024 Curry Recipes