Author Topic: Naan breads nearly there!!!  (Read 7537 times)

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Naan breads nearly there!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 10:37 AM »
Hi jb
Im sure its the the firelighters that cause the soot. I tend to use the instant light bags now instead.
I use one to get the thing going. I light the bag, drop it in and leave it alone for 5 - 10 minutes. It pays to stir the charcoal up at this stage to make sure all the paper has burnt. I then open the bottom vent fully, and load some restaurant charcoal (a must have) into the tandoor. I then put the lid on about three quarters, and rotate the tandoor so the vent is pointing into the prevailing breeze - if there is one of course. Usually I leave the tandoor well alone for at least an hour. Try it and see what you think!

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 10:40 AM »
I then put the lid on about three quarters, and rotate the tandoor so the vent is pointing into the prevailing breeze - if there is one of course.

Not familiar with the design of your tandoor, Mick, so I am wondering whether this is an intake vent or an exhaust vent ?  If it is an exhaust vent, I wonder if you might get even better results by pointing it downwind so as to take advantage of the venturi effect.

** Phil.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 11:04 AM »
hi phil.

the lid fits on the top of the tandoor like a......lid lol and the vent is really more of an inlet with a sliding door. I think jbs is the same as mine (spices of india) - thats why I havent bothered getting too technical with descriptions of the various features. By putting the lid three quarters on, appears to create a sort of "reverse venturi" effect (getting teccy now) and appears to help the tandoor get up to temp by holding that hot air inside the tandoor for longer

Because I havent got a thermometer I dont actually know for sure.  ::) ::)

Its all part of the fun imo.

Theres more to it than meets the eye!

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 11:25 AM »
Hi jb
Im sure its the the firelighters that cause the soot. I tend to use the instant light bags now instead.
I use one to get the thing going. I light the bag, drop it in and leave it alone for 5 - 10 minutes. It pays to stir the charcoal up at this stage to make sure all the paper has burnt. I then open the bottom vent fully, and load some restaurant charcoal (a must have) into the tandoor. I then put the lid on about three quarters, and rotate the tandoor so the vent is pointing into the prevailing breeze - if there is one of course. Usually I leave the tandoor well alone for at least an hour. Try it and see what you think!

Thanks for that,I was actually about to buy one of those instant bags but decided against it,I'll give it a try.Restaurant charcoal...now you've got me going where the hell can I buy that??!!!  How does it differ from the normal stuff?? I thought charcoal is just charcoal.Thanks for your help by the way this tandoor is one of the best things I've brought(can't wait to cook my tikka tommorow).

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 11:27 AM »
hi phil.

the lid fits on the top of the tandoor like a......lid lol and the vent is really more of an inlet with a sliding door. I think jbs is the same as mine (spices of india) - thats why I havent bothered getting too technical with descriptions of the various features. By putting the lid three quarters on, appears to create a sort of "reverse venturi" effect (getting teccy now) and appears to help the tandoor get up to temp by holding that hot air inside the tandoor for longer

Because I havent got a thermometer I dont actually know for sure.  ::) ::)

Its all part of the fun imo.

Theres more to it than meets the eye!

You're spot on,looks like we have the same tandoor.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 12:04 PM »
restaurant charcoal isnt an option - its a necessity!!

http://barbequick.net/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=88

it works out the same price as the dust you can buy from the diy stores

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 02:13 PM »
hey jb,
you cannot get a tandoor hot enough without using restaurant charcoal.
When I cook naans, i equip myself with a long sleeved sweatshirt and a  (clean) leather gardening glove.
The heat is so intense its incredible.
I once asked myself the question: can you get a tandoor too hot? I know the answer now.
Yes you can but only with restaurant charcoal.
I once had the tandoor so hot that the naans were spontainiously combusting after 15 seconds and were still raw on the inside - and that was after rolling them out as thin as i could... 1.5 - 2mm ish
shame i havent got any photos

©2024 Curry Recipes