Author Topic: LONDON OLYMPICS 2012 :) Update  (Read 13554 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: LONDON OLYMPICS 2012 :) Update
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 02:33 PM »
My admiration for your achievement grows with every message you post, Bob : with no prior experience it must have been a pretty intimidating venture to undertake, but you took it on and triumphed.  You weren't SAS or SBS in a former existence, were you ?!

** Phil.

Actually Phil, I was SAS for 17 years. Saturday and Sunday soldiers as we were known in the Territorial Army by the regulars lol

It was pretty intimidating at first not knowing one end of a commercial cooker from the other and with all the shouting that does go on in a commercial kitchen, but once you got over that initial shock, although very hard work was really enjoyable :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 02:56 PM »
I had never been inside a commercial kitchen before in my life, so I have learned a lot too :)

I'm highly impressed with your success on this job and it's so good of you to let us know how it went. I'm amazed though, with the greatest respect, that they took on anyone who lacked some previous experience cooking in a large kitchen, such as a school, factory or cruise liner. I wouldn't know where to start. It also strikes me hard labour, given  the temperatures, deadlines and everything. Who are you actually employed by? Is it a catering contractor?

The customers must have thought there were Asian (BIR) chefs there, to produce restaurant type food like that!

I was reading a free paper on the tube into London back in April and there was an Ad by Aramark, looking for chefs for the olympics and anyone with continental food experience, so I called them and told them that I had been cooking BIR food at home (or trying to) for the past 6 years and they asked me to send them my CV. I told them I didn't have one as I had never worked in a kitchen before, but they invited me along for a chat. I took along a couple of dishes which they warmed up and tasted and said, "we'd like you to join us". The rest is history really.

I've always been of the mindset, "Feel the fear and do it anyway", and do not mind stepping out of my comfort zone to try something different. I mean what was the worse that could have happened? They would have turned round to me and said, "Bob, your not up to scratch, don't come here anymore". So I took the plunge and glad I did :)

They have chef's there from all levels, even a boy of 17 who's only claim to fame in the cooking world was having worked in a fish and chip shop for 6 months peeling potatoes!! I think they were so short of chefs for these events, that they would have taken on my mother (who is now 79 bless her!!) lol.

Very hard work, was not used to standing up for 8 hours solid anymore and yes very hot, but you soon get into it.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 03:23 PM »
I had never been inside a commercial kitchen before in my life, so I have learned a lot too :)

I'm highly impressed with your success on this job and it's so good of you to let us know how it went. I'm amazed though, with the greatest respect, that they took on anyone who lacked some previous experience cooking in a large kitchen, such as a school, factory or cruise liner. I wouldn't know where to start. It also strikes me hard labour, given  the temperatures, deadlines and everything. Who are you actually employed by? Is it a catering contractor?

The customers must have thought there were Asian (BIR) chefs there, to produce restaurant type food like that!

I've always been of the mindset, "Feel the fear and do it anyway", and do not mind stepping out of my comfort zone to try something different. I mean what was the worse that could have happened? They would have turned round to me and said, "Bob, your not up to scratch, don't come here anymore". So I took the plunge and glad I did :)

Well done Bob, I like your style.

I've done a few daft things too. Me and the wife ran 3 pubs back in UK before we emigrated, all 3 of them in pretty dodgy areas in Manchester where we knew nobody...add to that the fact that my missus is Oriental, we were right in the deep end, and had to put up with a fair bit of crap....but we got through it all, and experiences like this make you stronger. We made loads of lifelong mates too, and not too many enemies.

I applaud your ingenuity and having the balls to go through with it. 8)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 03:38 PM »

Well done Bob, I like your style.

I've done a few daft things too. Me and the wife ran 3 pubs back in UK before we emigrated, all 3 of them in pretty dodgy areas in Manchester where we knew nobody...add to that the fact that my missus is Oriental, we were right in the deep end, and had to put up with a fair bit of crap....but we got through it all, and experiences like this make you stronger. We made loads of lifelong mates too, and not too many enemies.

I applaud your ingenuity and having the balls to go through with it. 8)
[/quote]

Seems like we are of a similar ilk Mick,

Well done to you too for taking that on, not many people would have.... :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2012, 07:59 PM »
Hi All,

Just another quick update. It's been just, as if not, more busy with the Paralympics, catering for every type of need, but the experience has been mind blowing :)

Now it's all over, it's quite de-moralising breaking everything down, packing everything up and cleaning the place down ready to hand back to the Royal Holloway University on the 9th. The past 6 odd weeks now seem to have flown by in an instant and a lot of the friends I have made have moved on..... and it all seemed to be a bit of a distant memory......until today.......

I was asked today, by the Head Chef at the University to stay on for a 6 week contract as Soux Chef at the university with a view to, "let's see how things go!!" :)

I cannot believe this opportunity has opened for me. I start next Tuesday :)

Happy Days again :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 08:15 PM »
I was asked today, by the Head Chef at the University to stay on for a 6 week contract as Soux Chef at the university with a view to, "let's see how things go!!" :)  I cannot believe this opportunity has opened for me. I start next Tuesday :)

Wonderful news : many many congratulations, Bob.  Since I have to go over that way at least twice in the near future (the first, sadly, the day before you start), I would be really pleased to hear from you when you will be on duty and which dishes you will be preparing (if they tell you that in advance); I will then make a point of stopping in for lunch, just to taste a 976bar special !

** Phil.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 09:00 PM »
Terrific news Bob.  They'll be in for a few curry treats then compared to the usual excuse for a curry ;D.  Hope you still find time to join us on here though ;)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2012, 09:30 PM »
I was asked today, by the Head Chef at the University to stay on for a 6 week contract as Soux Chef at the university with a view to, "let's see how things go!!" :)  I cannot believe this opportunity has opened for me. I start next Tuesday :)

Wonderful news : many many congratulations, Bob.  Since I have to go over that way at least twice in the near future (the first, sadly, the day before you start), I would be really pleased to hear from you when you will be on duty and which dishes you will be preparing (if they tell you that in advance); I will then make a point of stopping in for lunch, just to taste a 976bar special !

** Phil.

Hi Phil,

As soon as I know my shift pattern and which restaurant I'll be working in/menu's I'll let you know. It should either be Flounders? or the Upper Hub :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2012, 09:35 PM »
Terrific news Bob.  They'll be in for a few curry treats then compared to the usual excuse for a curry ;D.  Hope you still find time to join us on here though ;)

Hi Dave,

I am sure I will be cooking their recipes but if I get a chance I will try and slip in the odd curry or two :) Hopefully now, I will have a bit more time back on my hands to spend on here too :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2012, 09:42 PM »
As soon as I know my shift pattern and which restaurant I'll be working in/menu's I'll let you know. It should either be Flounders? or the Upper Hub :)
FOUNDER's, Sir, FOUNDER's, not FLOUNDERS !  Named in honour of our benevolent and philanthropic Founder, Thomas Holloway (and not named after a flat fish), self-made multi-millionaire whose income came from the development and sales of his patent medicines.  He also founded the Sanatorium in Virginia Water, now sadly a residential block.

I look forward to hearing your timetable, and will make a point of coming over.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 09:13 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

©2024 Curry Recipes