Author Topic: "Old School" Taste, Alive and Kicking  (Read 14998 times)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
"Old School" Taste, Alive and Kicking
« on: September 03, 2012, 01:17 AM »
"Old School" Taste, Alive and Kicking

In what seems to be a former life, I used to design for print and Restaurant Menus were a good earner.
Anyway can rarely be bothered these days, but I got a call from an old friend and customer, asking for help to do a menu redesign

So I've just spent a few nights in an "Old School" BIR TA kitchen. A total nostalgia trip
for me and I can assure Haldi the old school taste is alive and kicking here in South Shields.

On Thursday I watched Miah, the owner Chef do a 90 litre base, just like I watched him back in the 70's.

The last time I was in his kitchen was back in 95 and very little has changed, still the same old Chester range cooker and the massive stock pots
and amazingly he still uses the Mouli, Food Mill, Grinder - Hooray!!!!
(With reference to my first post on cR0 ) http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5349.msg52511#msg52511

He thought it was really odd, me asking him questions about how he was making his 'Garabi' 
LOL  ;D  at one point he handed me the 3' paddle and said do you want a job or something, Mata Doz.

I then explained it was nice to see old style cooking. He said he didn't like new style or shortcuts, "I would loose customers if i changed",
No Handi Chicken here pointing to another massive stockpot  bubbling away with at least 10 whole Chickens in it.

A bit later the Chickens were removed and stripped by the other cooks, then all of the remaining stock was skimmed then added to the Garabi.

Miah continued to cook this adding at least two tins of evaporated milk, a bit later the cooks brought the Garabi into the prep area,
where I was talking to his brother Dudu, going through and sorting out their new menu.

Then Dudu blended the garabi and then passed the whole lot through the Mouli... Pics below  ;)

The Kit, with Mouli

He gathers the oil with the initial blend and transfers it to the other pot first.

Then passes the Garabi through the Mouli

Anyhoo I'm a bit curried out as I've had three very spicy staff curries in as many days
and a (70s) Lamb Karahi with Shatkora and Uri, Take Away Tonight... Stuffed :P

Luvvly Jubbly.
cheers Chewy

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: "Old School" Taste, Alive and Kicking
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 07:36 AM »
A bit later the Chickens were removed and stripped by the other cooks, then all of the remaining stock was skimmed then added to the Garabi.
What happens to the stripped flesh, Chewy ?  Presumably it is not just discarded.
** Phil.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 08:11 AM »
Great report Chewy!  ;D

The idea of boiling a chicken has been discussed before, or at the very least, using chicken stock of some variety in the base. Have you ever tried the chicken stock route? Does it produce better curries than your current base? It's not something I have tried, personally.

Couple more questions:
  • What happens to the torn off chicken (as per Phil's question)?
  • Was it just plain water the chickens were boiled in?
  • Any use of commercial pastes?  :P
  • Were there there any other notable differences between their methods and other kitchens you've been in
  • Manage to get any recipes for the final dishes?  :P

Thanks for posting!

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 12:42 PM »
Nice report, very interesting. Thanks!

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 01:51 PM »
Discard the Chicken, of course not, are you kidding.  :o

This is the old method of precooking Chicken.

What exactly went into this pot, didn't see, but usually Oil, G&G, Whole Garam Spices, Powdered Spices and topped up with water.

No commercial pastes

The restaurants I'm involved in today, all make a very mild neutral flavoured (90% onion) gravy base.
A bit like a blank canvas, relying more on the curry chef's pan skills to provide the tasty curry.

Like I said in My First Post thread, this is Old School and Maybe this is the taste you have in your memories,
which a lot seem to think is lost.

Alive and kicking here ;D
cheers Chewy

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 04:11 PM »
Hi CT the Sanam Tandoori, http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=8627.msg76627#msg76627,
There curries are old school too, with many of the customers having eaten there when it first opened, around the late 70's-early 80's.
They make the base the same with chicken carcass, but haven't got the recipe yet, they also make a Lamb Nargis Balti which is divine.
Still trying to get some recipes off these chef's at the moment so it's quite a slow process but hopefully i will get some info soon.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 05:08 PM »
Nice report CT  ;)

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 05:51 PM »
Good one Chewy
Personally I love a chicken carcase to add to my gravey
I work on the basis other cuisines work at getting good stock or they wont get a good sauce
or a descent risotto
In my opinion  :)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 06:10 PM »
Amazeballs chewy, dont spose you can pop back down there and film his old school madras recipe/method huh?
that would be double-amazeballs!

Cheers.

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 07:43 PM »
Hi chewy

what is the restaurant called please?

Barry

©2024 Curry Recipes