Author Topic: "Old School" Taste, Alive and Kicking  (Read 14936 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: "Old School" Taste, Alive and Kicking
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 11:29 AM »
My first early experience (60s/70s) of Curry's Was chicken on the bone, normally Thighs,dreaming ;D
Agreed : in those days there were two chargeable options -- "Off the bone", and "breast".  Over time they became the default, and during the latter period of the transition it was sometimes quite difficult to insist on "on the bone" and "leg" ...

** Phil.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 12:42 PM »
You beat me to it Phil re: chicken necks.

Even as late as the early 1990's in a few of the curry/tandoori house in Rusholme, Manchester, the neck was included in your half of tandoori chicken. I wouldn't say it was the best bit, but I used to enjoy it. Not much meat there, but well worth the effort of finding it IMHO. 8)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 03:40 PM »
Chewytikka,

always top notch post - love em.

well pleased the old school are doing just fine. you're very lucky - i've not found in driving distance of warrington and the last one i knew in the midlands has now gone "upmarket".

i tried chicken carcase in the past (currytester's base) and think in hindsight i used too much. the evaporated milk is very nice to know - i use coconut milk in the rajver base (which i like) but will defo give it a try. it perhaps explains why i like evap milk in mains more than cream.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 06:30 PM »
Hey Jerry

I don't buy cream any more. I always use Carnation evaporated milk in Korma/Tikka masala.

Healthier (70% less fat than cream), tastier and more authentic IMHO!  8)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2012, 08:40 AM »
Can still get on-the-bone meat in the curry at the Kabana in Manchester.  Well worth a try if anyones in the area.  Parking is a nightmare though and can end up costing more then your food.  :P

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 07:03 PM »
Aussie Mick,

love you're style. a further advantage for me is that i always make instant coffee by adding the milk 1st to the coffee ie before adding the off the boil water. switching the milk for carnation is probably not for all but it certainly takes it up a notch for me.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 07:39 PM »
love you're style. a further advantage for me is that i always make instant coffee by adding the milk 1st to the coffee ie before adding the off the boil water. switching the milk for carnation is probably not for all but it certainly takes it up a notch for me.
The Vietnamese use condensed milk to both colour and sweeten their coffee (ground and filtered, terribly slowly, while the receiving cup is kept warm in a bowl of hot water); I don't think much of their hot coffee, but their iced coffee (c
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:00 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline SteveAUS

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 12:59 AM »
Hey Jerry

I don't buy cream any more. I always use Carnation evaporated milk in Korma/Tikka masala.

Healthier (70% less fat than cream), tastier and more authentic IMHO!  8)

Mick is that the stuff in a red tin with, funnily enough a white carnation of the front. I remember that as a kid being called Carnation cream. Loved the stuff. Wouldnt have thought of using that instead of cream in a curry.
Cheers
Steve

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2012, 06:59 AM »
That's the stuff Steve.

Get the evaporated and NOT the condensed milk.

Funnily enough Phil, a lot of Indians used Carnation milk in their tea as well. I'm a plumber, and I've worked in houses where I was offered a cup of tea, and in Asian households, it was always made with Carnation milkback in the 80's.  I say that as most people don't even offer a cuppa these days.

It was very interesting, had a sort of ring of skin around the top as it cooled down. Definitley not my "cup of tea" :o

Goes great in a korma, tikka masala etc though

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 07:41 AM »
Funnily enough Phil, a lot of Indians used Carnation milk in their tea as well. I'm a plumber, and I've worked in houses where I was offered a cup of tea, and in Asian households, it was always made with Carnation milkback in the 80's.  I say that as most people don't even offer a cuppa these days.
First thing I do whenever anyone has work to do in or on my house.  Never fails to be appreciated.
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes